Thread: short notice question here...sorry

Post imported post

Just next week i have had a few un-expected free days come open, and I want to travel a short drive to Southern Illinois, near the Shawnee National Forest to a hiking area, and do some 4 wheeling, and hiking.
    I have a CC license here in KY where I live. Am I allowed to carry my weapon while 4 wheeling, and hiking in the woods? I am either camping, or renting a cabin.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

KyDaystar wrote:
    Just next week i have had a few un-expected free days come open, and I want to travel a short drive to Southern Illinois, near the Shawnee National Forest to a hiking area, and do some 4 wheeling, and hiking.
    I have a CC license here in KY where I live. Am I allowed to carry my weapon while 4 wheeling, and hiking in the woods? I am either camping, or renting a cabin.
    there are some nuances, but the short answer is a resounding NO!

it is against the law to have a firearm (even unloaded and encased) in a public park (or any other public place)without written permission. class A misdemeanor.

loaded it is a felony. my suggestion is leave it at home.

technically it is also a class A misdemeanor to have an ax or hatchet or a knife with > 3" blade in the park without written permission as well, but I suspect that is far less likely to get you in trouble.

Post imported post

Thanks for that answer.... I am not staying in the Park of the Shawnee National Forest, but in a small adjacent (camping/hiking/4 wheeler) place, right next to the Forest/Park.
    Wonder if that would make any difference? just asking.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

KyDaystar wrote:
    Thanks for that answer.... I am not staying in the Park of the Shawnee National Forest, but in a small adjacent (camping/hiking/4 wheeler) place, right next to the Forest/Park.
    Wonder if that would make any difference? just asking.
    (720 ILCS 5/21‑6) (from Ch. 38, par. 21‑6)
    Sec. 21‑6. Unauthorized Possession or Storage of Weapons.
    (a) Whoever possesses or stores any weapon enumerated in Section 33A‑1 in any building or on land supported in whole or in part with public funds or in any building on such land without prior written permission from the chief security officer for such land or building commits a Class A misdemeanor.

Does the campground qualify under the bolded part?

Post imported post

time to proactively remove this law from the books

Post imported post

I wonder how many people have been prosecuted under that law? I haven't heard of any. Doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a good idea to get rid of it though.

Post imported post

Having once lived in Illinois, I would advise against taking a gun into the state, as you might not be leaving with it, when you return home.

Illinois is a very repressive state when it comes to gun possession, and specially so to people from out of state.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.