Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seen the sexy new Kel-Tec?

Post imported post

"The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

That looks awesome. Any idea how hard it is to get .22 mag? I don't own anything in that caliber so I'm not sure...

Post imported post

.22 magnum rounds are pretty plentiful, at least where I've looked (Eastern NC, Northern VA, Northern Panhandle of WV)...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Grendel used to make a 30-shot .22WMR gun that was the same idea. They had a reputation of being horribly unreliable. If the KelTec offering is reliable, it should be a fun little gun for small game, target and even for self-defense usage for the extremely-recoil-sensitive type.

Post imported post

I used to own a Grendel P-12, and it was VERY reliable. However, given the non-existant supply of .380 auto ammo these days, it's one of the few guns I've sold that I don't really miss that much.

But ammo availability aside, I had no complaints with that particular Grendel model.

Other than the fact that it had more perceived recoil than my Colt Delta Elite... :shock:
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

First thing that strikes me is the similarity to the FN FiveseveN ... except that the price is much more in line with reality

Post imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
    First thing that strikes me is the similarity to the FN FiveseveN ... except that the price is much more in line with reality
    And the ammo isn't much different. That was the very reason it was made, methinks.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

Exactly, 22 mag is a much cheaper and easier round to get than 5.7. The only thing special about the 5.7 is the ammo for it that you can't buy for it in the US/non LEO.

Ballistically close enough that there's no difference, for all intents and purposes.

If if KelTec can get it to be reliable, thenit's going to be a hell ofa little toy

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

That is cute and pretty as a new puppy.

Still I'd rather see it in .22 LR - 30 rds, yes.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

My plan is to buy one and stagger load it, one ball round to one JSP round; most semiautos tend to have trouble with hollowpoints. Where this pistol is of value, it wouldbe a back upto a revolver/single column magazine pistol.

Say, a 1911 or a P1(modernized P38). Another usage could be as a child's BOB gun, too.

Post imported post

Justin wrote:
    Exactly, 22 mag is a much cheaper and easier round to get than 5.7. The only thing special about the 5.7 is the ammo for it that you can't buy for it in the US/non LEO.

Ballistically close enough that there's no difference, for all intents and purposes.

If if KelTec can get it to be reliable, thenit's going to be a hell ofa little toy
    Not entirely clear to me what you meant by the part I put in boldbut...

Civilians can buy 5.7 ammo in the U.S.

Put another way... Non-LEOs can buy non-AP 5.7 ammo in the U.S.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...mmunition.html

Unless you were saying the onlything special abouta FiveSevenwould be to shoot the AP ammo you can't get as a non-LEO in the U.S. ?

--------------------------------

I like this new KelTec. 30 rounds of 22 mag in a sleek "Tech-y" gun could find a place in my stable.

McX

Post imported post

nasty little machine, interesting .22 mag option. small whacks, but a multi-tude per magazine of 'em.

Post imported post

My local Wally World has had 22Mag pretty much with out interuption during the ammo shortage. This thing has real possibilities.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Post imported post

Hmmm, my Dad might try this out. His arthritis has led him to give up his .38 and .32 revolvers. In desperation he tried one of those Lorcal .22 automatics and discovered that a short barrel automatic hurts as bad as a .38 (I managed to disappear this piece of trash ASAP as well).

However, this looks like it might be a good alternative for him. He has successfully fired my Buckmark and found it to be acceptable so I'm thinking this might offer him a Hi-Cap mag, enough weight to control and a long enough slide to absorb the whip of the recoil.

Interesting.

Post imported post

For more info and thoughts, go to http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl there is a whole section devoted to the PMR-30. I have a P-11 for my CCW firearm and for those who are unaware of Kel-Tec's in general, they are WELL made, GREAT customer support, Made in America, Lifetime Warranty AND, you can do a lot of work on them and usually you WILL NOT void the warranty. Well worth looking into. Also should you choose to visit the above site, it is a GREAT source of information and impressions of Kel-Tec products. I would bet my life on my P-11 and that says a LOT!!!!!!!

Post imported post

JUst plane ugly.:shock:

Post imported post

scott7339 wrote:
    JUst plane ugly.:shock:
    Eye of the beholder, Scott.

-Gruu

Post imported post

Looking at this thing again, I think I kind of want one.

-Gruu

Post imported post

As soon as I saw Kel-Tec and 22 Mag I knew it was going to be a 30 shot pistol. The P-30 from Grendel is what came to mind - Kel-Tec was formed from the remnants of Grendel. I always wanted one of those guns, reliable or not, 30 shots of 22 mag just sounds fun. Too bad it's so expensive and can't be reloaded.

Post imported post

Mini14 wrote:
    My plan is to buy one and stagger load it, one ball round to one JSP round; most semiautos tend to have trouble with hollowpoints. Where this pistol is of value, it wouldbe a back upto a revolver/single column magazine pistol.

Say, a 1911 or a P1(modernized P38). Another usage could be as a child's BOB gun, too.

most semi autos have trouble with hollow points? to which semi-autos are you refering? if you shoot quality guns, hollow points are no problem.

Post imported post

Prices are appearing finally, so we should see actual product soon. MSRP looks like $415.00 with a lowball price published at $299.00 (CDNN). I definitely want to wrap my hand around one. Very seriously considering one.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Post imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
    Not really like a 5-7 at all. The pistol length barrel of the PMR30, with 22WMR will have velocity on-par with a .22LR out of a rifle barrel. Still WAY short of 5-7 speeds. The 5-7 also has a much flatter trajectory due to a significantly lower drag coefficient.

Don't get me wrong. When I first learned of the PMR I fell in love and want one. I'm not knocking it just keeping it real.
    I'll try to find the picture, because there is this awesome picture of the PMR30 in its case, with a fully loaded mag and 200 rounds of ammo in those plastic cases they come in(the case is big enough to fit 4 50 round boxes AND the pistol) and that is less than 100 OZ.

Well @#$%, my bad, thats 200 rounds plus TWO fully loaded mags, AND a @#$%ing laser/flashlight for a total of 72oz

Just creamed myself

Oh yea, its also Kel-Tec's first ALUMINUM framed pistol, thats right its not plastic. And it's single action only. Elite.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

This is the only Kel-Tec I would ever buy:

Post imported post

I saw the PMR-30 on Bud's for $287 but then you still need to do a transfer fee and it was also showing out-of-stock.

More and more I am thinking of picking up one of these for my Dad.

Post imported post

I like the looks of it but, given that the 5.7 barely penetrates to 11" and is a much faster bullet then the 22mag. The 22mag will have even poorer performance. Id be surprised if it penetrates to 8" in gel. Sure i know it will be fun for around farm fun and plinking and hunting, but if i want a light/fast 22 for SD/HD the only one that comes close to being adaquate is the 5.7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast