• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seen the sexy new Kel-Tec?

Dreamer

imported post

.22 magnum rounds are pretty plentiful, at least where I've looked (Eastern NC, Northern VA, Northern Panhandle of WV)...

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Grendel used to make a 30-shot .22WMR gun that was the same idea. They had a reputation of being horribly unreliable. If the KelTec offering is reliable, it should be a fun little gun for small game, target and even for self-defense usage for the extremely-recoil-sensitive type.

Dreamer

imported post

I used to own a Grendel P-12, and it was VERY reliable. However, given the non-existant supply of .380 auto ammo these days, it's one of the few guns I've sold that I don't really miss that much.

But ammo availability aside, I had no complaints with that particular Grendel model.

Other than the fact that it had more perceived recoil than my Colt Delta Elite... :shock:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
First thing that strikes me is the similarity to the FN FiveseveN ... except that the price is much more in line with reality :)
And the ammo isn't much different. That was the very reason it was made, methinks.

Justin

imported post

Exactly, 22 mag is a much cheaper and easier round to get than 5.7. The only thing special about the 5.7 is the ammo for it that you can't buy for it in the US/non LEO.

Ballistically close enough that there's no difference, for all intents and purposes.

If if KelTec can get it to be reliable, thenit's going to be a hell ofa little toy :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

That is cute and pretty as a new puppy.

Still I'd rather see it in .22 LR - 30 rds, yes. :)

Yata hey

Mini14

imported post

My plan is to buy one and stagger load it, one ball round to one JSP round; most semiautos tend to have trouble with hollowpoints. Where this pistol is of value, it wouldbe a back upto a revolver/single column magazine pistol.

Say, a 1911 or a P1(modernized P38). Another usage could be as a child's BOB gun, too.

CommonMan101

imported post

Justin wrote:
Exactly, 22 mag is a much cheaper and easier round to get than 5.7. The only thing special about the 5.7 is the ammo for it that you can't buy for it in the US/non LEO.

Ballistically close enough that there's no difference, for all intents and purposes.

If if KelTec can get it to be reliable, thenit's going to be a hell ofa little toy :D

Not entirely clear to me what you meant by the part I put in boldbut...

Civilians can buy 5.7 ammo in the U.S.

Put another way... Non-LEOs can buy non-AP 5.7 ammo in the U.S.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/57x28mm_ammunition.html

Unless you were saying the onlything special abouta FiveSevenwould be to shoot the AP ammo you can't get as a non-LEO in the U.S. ?

--------------------------------

I like this new KelTec. 30 rounds of 22 mag in a sleek "Tech-y" gun could find a place in my stable.

M

McX

imported post

nasty little machine, interesting .22 mag option. small whacks, but a multi-tude per magazine of 'em.

ecocks

imported post

Hmmm, my Dad might try this out. His arthritis has led him to give up his .38 and .32 revolvers. In desperation he tried one of those Lorcal .22 automatics and discovered that a short barrel automatic hurts as bad as a .38 (I managed to disappear this piece of trash ASAP as well).

However, this looks like it might be a good alternative for him. He has successfully fired my Buckmark and found it to be acceptable so I'm thinking this might offer him a Hi-Cap mag, enough weight to control and a long enough slide to absorb the whip of the recoil.

Interesting.

curtm1911

imported post

For more info and thoughts, go to http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl there is a whole section devoted to the PMR-30. I have a P-11 for my CCW firearm and for those who are unaware of Kel-Tec's in general, they are WELL made, GREAT customer support, Made in America, Lifetime Warranty AND, you can do a lot of work on them and usually you WILL NOT void the warranty. Well worth looking into. Also should you choose to visit the above site, it is a GREAT source of information and impressions of Kel-Tec products. I would bet my life on my P-11 and that says a LOT!!!!!!!

CarryOpen

imported post

As soon as I saw Kel-Tec and 22 Mag I knew it was going to be a 30 shot pistol. The P-30 from Grendel is what came to mind - Kel-Tec was formed from the remnants of Grendel. I always wanted one of those guns, reliable or not, 30 shots of 22 mag just sounds fun. Too bad it's so expensive and can't be reloaded.

marrero jeff

imported post

Mini14 wrote:
My plan is to buy one and stagger load it, one ball round to one JSP round; most semiautos tend to have trouble with hollowpoints. Where this pistol is of value, it wouldbe a back upto a revolver/single column magazine pistol.

Say, a 1911 or a P1(modernized P38). Another usage could be as a child's BOB gun, too.
most semi autos have trouble with hollow points? to which semi-autos are you refering? if you shoot quality guns, hollow points are no problem.