• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what would you reccomend i do temporarily?

lil_freak_66

imported post

due to some financial troubles ive had to sell my mosin nagant M44 and charles daly field 20 ga.

which leaves only my 10/22 many of you know about that is registered as handgun.

and my remington 870 16 ga. with a 30 or 32 inch barrel.

until money gets better im stuck using one or the other for home defense.

what would you reccomend using?

the shotgun obviously has more power,but a lower round capacity and a much longer length.

the 10/22 is well....a .22 and i will use the factory 10 rounder with it over the high caps due to the increased reliability.

my question is,should i sacrifice stopping power for shorter length and better accuracy?

my place is fairly cramped,keep that in mind.

so yeah,what would you reccomend using?

and ive seen this before,dont offer temporarily or permenantly handing over firearms unless they're reasonably paid for by me,i dont want a hand out.

mikestilly

imported post

If it were me I'd sell everything I had left and buy the best pistol I could afford with the money I have. Buy a pistol that is good for concealed carry, and open carry. This way you would have an all around firearm that would do what you need it to do while money is tight.

lil_freak_66

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
If it were me I'd sell everything I had left and buy the best pistol I could afford with the money I have. Buy a pistol that is good for concealed carry, and open carry. This way you would have an all around firearm that would do what you need it to do while money is tight.

im talking home defense,not being 18 and nobody in the house hold but me even being pro handgun(they understand that the 10/22 is not a traditional handgun)...wouldnt work

but as soon as i hit 18 im going to get a purchase permit,do a private transfer and OC till 21 and then go back and forth between CC and OC

and the 870 was my grand fathers and has a value to me that doesnt include money.

10/22 is in my mothers name as a handgun and she does not wish to sell it,i have brought that up to her before.

WARCHILD

imported post

10/22 is in my mothers name as a handgun

Do you have the 10/22 in your possession? If so, give it back to mom, A.S.A.P....you cannot "legally" posses or use it.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:

Do you have the 10/22 in your possession? If so, give it back to mom, A.S.A.P....you cannot "legally" posses or use it.
Unless they're int he same house hold.

I would go with the shotgun tho. more reliable, more power. Unless your talking tight hall ways and narrow door ways a long barrel shotgun will be fine.

Try running through your house with the shotgun unloaded. It's always good to know how you would check to make sure your house was clear.

WARCHILD

imported post

Unless they're int he same house hold.

Even in the same household, he could not use it "legally", mother could be charged with a minor in possession of her handgun. I've seen this happen before.

lil_freak_66

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
Unless your talking tight hall ways and narrow door ways a long barrel shotgun will be fine.

Try running through your house with the shotgun unloaded. It's always good to know how you would check to make sure your house was clear.

ive done that and the barrel length is causing all kinds of issues,everything is super tight.

but if yall think shotgun will do then ill make sure i got a way to make it work right

B

Bikenut

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
-snip-

which leaves only my 10/22 many of you know about that is registered as handgun.

and my remington 870 16 ga. with a 30 or 32 inch barrel.

until money gets better im stuck using one or the other for home defense.

-snip-

my place is fairly cramped,keep that in mind.

so yeah,what would you reccomend using?

-snip-
I have an experiment for you that will help make your decision.

Try going through your house with each gun (UNLOADED OF COURSE), the shotgun and your 10/22. Pay attention to how easy/difficult it is to "slice the pie" around corners with each one while being able to bring the gun to bear without banging the barrel into things... and without having the barrel sticking out past the corner where it can be grabbed.

Whichever one is the easiest to maneuver around with will allow the most ease of use.

Of course you could always lead with one gun and fall back into the room where you have the second gun for backup.

Please don't discount the .22's effectiveness. 10 rounds of .22 on target will do a great deal of damage. And please don't discount the low round count of the shotty either.... if shots are on target it may not take very many to resolve the situation.

One other thing I feel compelled to mention.... please go through your house and take note of what is beyond your walls. Most homes have areas (like windows) where rounds that go through will end up in someone else's house. That will let you know if there is a danger of unintended damage outside the home.

Oh drat... BreakingTheMold beat me to it.:D

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:

I disagree respectively of course. I read and I will find and post where it says private property over rules all state laws on possession!.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:

I disagree respectively of course. I read and I will find and post where it says private property over rules all state laws on possession!.
A person is not CCW under the following

*In his house,
Lawful ownership of the pistol is not required for the dwelling house exception. People v Pasha 466 Mich. 378 (2002)
* At his place of buisness, or
* On land he owns.

lechwe

imported post

I don't think I would worry about how easily you can go through the house. I would plan on staying in a room and waiting for LE to clear the house. That said the shotgun would be my choice.

Good luck

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Never wait for LE to clear a house you are in while an intruder is also in the same dwelling (unless you are unarmed), you stay with the fire arm, you wait for the intruder to come to you. unless you have other people (family) then if able you start to clear the dwelling in order to get to the family member(s)

In most cases you are going to be burglarized at night, it will be sudden, and dark, there will be minimal light, minimal time, and very minimal aiming going on. "You load that bear rifle with nails" point and shoot

B

Bikenut

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
Never wait for LE to clear a house you are in while an intruder is also in the same dwelling (unless you are unarmed), you stay with the fire arm, you wait for the intruder to come to you. unless you have other people (family) then if able you start to clear the dwelling in order to get to the family member(s)

In most cases you are going to be burglarized at night, it will be sudden, and dark, there will be minimal light, minimal time, and very minimal aiming going on. "You load that bear rifle with nails" point and shoot
There are 2 schools of thought about what to do about an intruder. One is the "hole up in a safe room and wait" and the other is to "go see what's happening". Which one is best depends on many things like the layout of the home, other people in other places in the home, if there is a room that would really be "safe", and the individual life circumstances of the folks who live there. We all must choose which is best... and, depending on how something comes down one may be better than the other this time but not next time... or neither will work out best.

I favor the "go see what's happening" method since, having cats in the house, a bump in the night... or a commotion in the night... is probably the cats but might not be. And you can bet the cops would get really annoyed to come out a couple of times a week to clear my house of cats.:shock:

One thing I've noticed is mention that the house would be dark. Not in my house. Every room has 1 or more of those little plug in "nite lites" that give off enough light to identify friend or foe or target. And if a room that has nite lites is dark... well... that is where the foe is and can stay there... or better stay there... until the police arrive.

SlowDog

imported post

Nothing beats a shotgun loaded with OO buckshot! :quirky:quirky

Ialso am under the "Look & See" method. But I have had extensive training. I have a great video shows excellent home defence tactics if anyone wants a copy.

I also have a great form of back up...100+ pound over protectice dog. Let the games begin!!:monkey:monkey:monkey

lil_freak_66

imported post

the shotgun is not able to clear every room without being taken off my shoulder,i really do dislike skinny hallways and skinny doorways.

a few things didnt seem to think about until just now is this:

my mother and sister stay on the opposite end of the house,there is a door coming in from the outside just outside of my room and another just outside of my mothers room,at any time that they are inside theyre room theywould be in the direction i would have to shoot,granted 75% of the time it is just me and the dog home,and all of the time they are awake is spent in the living room,and they are only in the bedroom to sleep.

the 10/22 has the ability to have a light put on,which i do plan to do in the near future.

ihave magazine loaded and in the 10/22,chamber empty and bolt closed,so that all i have to do is take off safety and run the bolt,and no matter what it stays between me and any doors leading to the outside at any given time.

sorry if i rambled.

after taking some time to think,i believe i will choose the 10/22 for the reason that it has a much shorter length,ability for a light to be mounted(i intend to mount one before new years)the higher round capacity,rate of fire and the lower risk of over penetration,which is something i had not considered until tonight.

yall really do think of every possible aspect,and its helping me alot,i hope i dont ever have to use the tactics,but if i do,yalls info that ive read over the last year or so has helped alot.

Bronson

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
lower risk of over penetration,which is something i had not considered until tonight.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

Don't be so sure. In this test doneat the Box 'O Truth a .22from apistolpenetrated 6 sheets of 5/8" drywall. This is equivalent to 3 interior walls ....probably more if they usedthinner drywall in your house.

The10/22 is going to develop much more velocity than the revolver used in that test and will penetrate farther.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

In this test a 19.5" barrelled 12 ga. loaded with 2 3/4" #1 buck also penetrated 6 sheets of 5/8" drywall. The 2 3/4" 00 buckpenetrated 7 boards, 3 pellets went through the 8th board, and one pellet was stuck in the 9th board. But, if I remember correctly you're using a 16 ga. so I would assume a little less penetration, but your shotgun also has a longer barrel so it may all even out in the wash.

So, a .22 out of a pistol has pretty comparable wall penetration as your shotgun. That same .22 out of your rifle is probably going to have much more danger of excessive over penetration.

Just my take,

Bronson