• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC question for Under the age of 18?

x762

imported post

Hello, I am new to this forum. I just wanted to know the laws on OC if you are under the age of 18. I am 16 and to my understanding if I am with a parent/legal guardian I may open carry. Is this true? Just wanted to make sure so I don't get into any trouble. Thanks. :)

Edit: Any recommendations for a Glock 19 holster would be much appreciated thanks again. :)

wrightme

imported post

From my non-official read of the existing statute, it appears to not be prohibited. But, getting on the "wrong side" of it at 16 years old may have life-long repercussions. Do not enter into that area lightly, or without the advice of an attorney who is well-versed in applicable statute.

x762

imported post

I should probably just wait until I am 18 then. Which sucks, But it is better than losing my guns all together and paying serious fines etc. Oh well. Thanks for the reply. :(

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You should also be aware of DMV rules/regulations.

http://www.dmvstat.com/nvdlteens.htm

Minor driver licenses can be suspended for any of the same reasons as adult licenses and also for non-driving alcohol/drug convictions, firearms violations or habitual truancy.

Since DMV has a far less burden of proof than a courtroom, who knows what they might try to pull? Just be cautious.

x762

imported post

I didn't even think of that. Thanks. Doesn't seem like such a good idea. I don't want LEO's detaining me for posesion of a firearm under the age of 18. Even if I am with a parent and it's legal. I don't think LEO's are too fond of a Minor with a Glock on their hip regardless. I need to talk to an attorney and get advice. Or just be patient for two more years. Thanks for the info! :)

Edit: Then again, It is a good way to exercise my rights. Because I just did more research and I know for a fact that it is legal for me as long as I am with my parent. Just don't know what the LEO's will say/do to me. :?

vegasche1023

imported post

NRS 202.300 Use or possession of firearm by child under age of 18 years; unlawful to aid or permit child to commit violation; penalties; child 14 years of age or older authorized to possess firearm under certain circumstances.

1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a child under the age of 18 years shall not handle or have in his possession or under his control, except while accompanied by or under the immediate charge of his parent or guardian or an adult person authorized by his parent or guardian to have control or custody of the child, any firearm of any kind for hunting or target practice or for other purposes. A child who violates this subsection commits a delinquent act and the court may order the detention of the child in the same manner as if the child had committed an act that would have been a felony if committed by an adult.

vegasche1023

imported post

timf343 wrote:
You should also be aware of DMV rules/regulations.

http://www.dmvstat.com/nvdlteens.htm

Minor driver licenses can be suspended for any of the same reasons as adult licenses and also for non-driving alcohol/drug convictions, firearms violations or habitual truancy.

Since DMV has a far less burden of proof than a courtroom, who knows what they might try to pull?  Just be cautious.

Since it's not illegal, he wouldn't be guilty of a firearms violation. Therefore they COULD NOT suspend his license.

x762

imported post

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I will have to wait. It is unfortunate. But its better then getting into trouble. And special thanks to who brought up the FED laws. Hopefully two years goes by fast so I can OC with you all. Thanks A lot. :)

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vegasche1023 wrote:
Since DMV has a far less burden of proof than a courtroom, who knows what they might try to pull? Just be cautious.
Since it's not illegal, he wouldn't be guilty of a firearms violation. Therefore they COULD NOT suspend his license.
The DMV automatically suspends the license of anyone who is arrested for DUI. This is before the DUI suspect is seen be a judge or is sentenced to any criminal penalties. That's why I said the burden of proof is lower with DMV - merely being accused is enough for DMV to take action.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
A black powder cap and ball revolver might be legal to carry, and maybe even conceal.  Black powder replica's are not considered firearms under Federal law and may be free of regulation by New Mexico laws as well.

Concealment would be illegal in NV with a black powder revolver without a CFP since NV uses its own definition for firearm that encompasses black powder replicas.

freebird

imported post

why not then consider carrying a long gun...I do a lot in Virginia City and and other places. Think it may avert many of the underage legal issues.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

freebird wrote:
why not then consider carrying a long gun...I do a lot in Virginia City and and other places. Think it may avert many of the underage legal issues.

This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such aspromoting the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the folks on this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

Yata hey

Nevada carrier

imported post

No one is going to arrest you if you are at the range with your dad getting some practice, or on a hunting trip. But to Open carry even accompanied by your parent(s) is just too risky. all the police would have to do in order to charge you (and your parent(s)) with a crime is to get one witness who will say you where out of their line of sight or more than arms length away for just a moment.

theodoxa

imported post

"ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun"

Technically there is no such thing. Ammunition can be used in a long gun or handgun as long as its chambered for that caliber. I had a 9mm Carbine when I was 19 and occasionally ran into problems getting ammunition for it. I started buying at a local gun store as they knew me (I bought an SKS and an AK-47 from them - I got the carbine at a gun show) and knew I was buying for a long gun.