Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Open carriers attend West Mifflin, PA council meeting

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dail.../s_657999.html

    SNIP

    West Mifflin council has adopted an ordinance regarding the reporting of lost or stolen handguns despite coming under fire from residents of other municipalities urging council not to take such action.

    It was standing room only at council chambers Tuesday night as residents from Pittsburgh, Cranberry Township, McKeesport, Canonsburg, Pleasant Hills, Finleyville, Bethel Park and parts of West Mifflin came one by one to the podium urging council not to adopt a gun law that most said is illegal.

    . . .

    "I am in favor of citizens' rights, laws and ordinances that make sense," Constable-elect Jeremy Stillwagon said. "This ordinance places a law-abiding citizen in danger of being jailed. This ordinance has one major flaw in it, and it is stated that a victim of a theft has 72 hours to report it from the time it was discovered. All a person has to say if they did sell a gun illegally is they just discovered it was stolen. Last time I checked, criminals lie. At this point, what good is the ordinance if that's all they have to do?"

    Krystal O'Conner, of Bethel Park, as well as several other speakers, came with a firearm at her side.

    "I'm a law-abiding citizen," she said. "Please, don't make me a criminal."

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    Apparently they want to be sued.

    How much do we want to bet that the lawyer they're going to have defend their treasonous BS is a family member or huge campaign contributor of one of the council members?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Boise, ID, ,
    Posts
    34

    Post imported post

    In reading the rest of the article from the link, they talk about the ordinance being no different than someone reporting other stolen goods:



    CeaseFirePA Western Pennsylvania coordinator Jana Finder responded to criticism of the ordinance by saying it is not in violation of any Pennsylvania law, and would help make the borough safer if enacted.

    CeaseFirePA is an organization devoted to reducing gun violence.

    Finder also compared reporting a lost or stolen gun to reporting any other item that might be stolen, noting that a victim of theft would report a stolen television, jewelry of other goods to insurers

    There is a HUGE difference between what the ordinance is doing and the example she is giving; if your TV is stolen and you don't report it, you aren't a criminal!

    I grew up in Bethel Park (where my parents still live), and my dad worked in West Mifflin for 40 years.

    Jeff


  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    You've got to admire and respect anyone with the guts to wear a weapon at a town hall meeting.
    That, in itself, is illegal here in the POLICE STATE OF LOUISIANA.
    In a lot of states this is 100% legal and really gets the point across of done politely and discretly.

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    You've got to admire and respect anyone with the guts to wear a weapon at a town hall meeting.
    That, in itself, is illegal here in the POLICE STATE OF LOUISIANA.
    In a lot of states this is 100% legal and really gets the point across of done politely and discretly.
    As witness the VCDL ( http://www.vcdl.org/ ) attendance protesting MAIG at numerous city council meetings.

    Yata hey

    Edited to fix link & add picture from before previous council meeting.
    Note conversation was not about gun, but requirement to sign in for open meeting.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    489

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    You've got to admire and respect anyone with the guts to wear a weapon at a town hall meeting.
    That, in itself, is illegal here in the POLICE STATE OF LOUISIANA.
    In a lot of states this is 100% legal and really gets the point across of done politely and discretly.
    As witness the VCDL (http://www.vcdl.org/) attendance protesting MAIG at numerous city council meetings.

    Yata hey
    your link doesnt work because of the parentheses www.vcdl.org

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Post imported post

    rmodel65 wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    You've got to admire and respect anyone with the guts to wear a weapon at a town hall meeting.
    That, in itself, is illegal here in the POLICE STATE OF LOUISIANA.
    In a lot of states this is 100% legal and really gets the point across of done politely and discretly.
    As witness the VCDL (http://www.vcdl.org/) attendance protesting MAIG at numerous city council meetings.

    Yata hey
    your link doesnt work because of the parentheses http://www.vcdl.org
    Thanks - fixed it and added picture - see above.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •