• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carriers attend West Mifflin, PA council meeting

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailynewsmckeesport/s_657999.html

SNIP

West Mifflin council has adopted an ordinance regarding the reporting of lost or stolen handguns despite coming under fire from residents of other municipalities urging council not to take such action.

It was standing room only at council chambers Tuesday night as residents from Pittsburgh, Cranberry Township, McKeesport, Canonsburg, Pleasant Hills, Finleyville, Bethel Park and parts of West Mifflin came one by one to the podium urging council not to adopt a gun law that most said is illegal.

. . .

"I am in favor of citizens' rights, laws and ordinances that make sense," Constable-elect Jeremy Stillwagon said. "This ordinance places a law-abiding citizen in danger of being jailed. This ordinance has one major flaw in it, and it is stated that a victim of a theft has 72 hours to report it from the time it was discovered. All a person has to say if they did sell a gun illegally is they just discovered it was stolen. Last time I checked, criminals lie. At this point, what good is the ordinance if that's all they have to do?"

Krystal O'Conner, of Bethel Park, as well as several other speakers, came with a firearm at her side.

"I'm a law-abiding citizen," she said. "Please, don't make me a criminal."

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Apparently they want to be sued.

How much do we want to bet that the lawyer they're going to have defend their treasonous BS is a family member or huge campaign contributor of one of the council members?

IDEagleEye

imported post

In reading the rest of the article from the link, they talk about the ordinance being no different than someone reporting other stolen goods:

CeaseFirePA Western Pennsylvania coordinator Jana Finder responded to criticism of the ordinance by saying it is not in violation of any Pennsylvania law, and would help make the borough safer if enacted.

CeaseFirePA is an organization devoted to reducing gun violence.

Finder also compared reporting a lost or stolen gun to reporting any other item that might be stolen, noting that a victim of theft would report a stolen television, jewelry of other goods to insurers

There is a HUGE difference between what the ordinance is doing and the example she is giving; if your TV is stolen and you don't report it, you aren't a criminal!

I grew up in Bethel Park (where my parents still live), and my dad worked in West Mifflin for 40 years.

Jeff

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
You've got to admire and respect anyone with the guts to wear a weapon at a town hall meeting.
That, in itself, is illegal here in the POLICE STATE OF LOUISIANA.
In a lot of states this is 100% legal and really gets the point across of done politely and discretly.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike wrote:
You've got to admire and respect anyone with the guts to wear a weapon at a town hall meeting.
In a lot of states this is 100% legal and really gets the point across of done politely and discretly.
As witness the VCDL ( http://www.vcdl.org/ ) attendance protesting MAIG at numerous city council meetings.

Yata hey

Edited to fix link & add picture from before previous council meeting.
Note conversation was not about gun, but requirement to sign in for open meeting.

rmodel65

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Mike wrote:
As witness the VCDL (http://www.vcdl.org/) attendance protesting MAIG at numerous city council meetings.

Yata hey

your link doesnt work because of the parentheses www.vcdl.org

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Mike wrote:
As witness the VCDL (http://www.vcdl.org/) attendance protesting MAIG at numerous city council meetings.

Yata hey

your link doesnt work because of the parentheses http://www.vcdl.org
Thanks - fixed it and added picture - see above.

Yata hey