• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

need indiana advice quick

joshuaeberly

imported post

I have a current MI CPL, and will be traveling into the "middle" of Illinois, avoiding chicago area. with a short cut through indiana.

can I have my loaded handgun in my vehicle

can I have it unloaded in the glove box, or must it be unloaded, in a locked case, in my "trunk" (back of suburban)

really sorry for the short notice here, but I've only known for a couple of hours myself.
thanks.
(oh, and incase of crazy mag restrictions etc...., it's an XD-40 service (4 in barrel) with a 12 round mag)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

xd-40 wrote:
I have a current MI CPL, and will be traveling into the "middle" of Illinois, avoiding chicago area. with a short cut through indiana.

can I have my loaded handgun in my vehicle

can I have it unloaded in the glove box, or must it be unloaded, in a locked case, in my "trunk" (back of suburban)

really sorry for the short notice here, but I've only known for a couple of hours myself.
thanks.
(oh, and incase of crazy mag restrictions etc...., it's an XD-40 service (4 in barrel) with a 12 round mag)

XD, Indiana recognizes Michigan's CPL's. You can CC or OC in Indiana, in vehicle or outside of vehicle with a CPL. For places off limits...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

ETA: Scroll down for off limits places.

Jubbie

imported post

Once you hit Illinois you have to have your firearm in a locked case in the trunk and your ammo in a separate area in the vehicle. I just made a trip in October from Indiana to Missouri. Had to disarm & lockup before crossing into Illinois. On the way back I also had in my car a rifle. Put that in the backseat and the ammo for it in the trunk. Didn't have a lock for the rifle case so used some zip ties which I've been told are allowable.

bobcat

imported post

Jubbie wrote:
Once you hit Illinois you have to have your firearm in a locked case in the trunk and your ammo in a separate area in the vehicle. I just made a trip in October from Indiana to Missouri. Had to disarm & lockup before crossing into Illinois. On the way back I also had in my car a rifle. Put that in the backseat and the ammo for it in the trunk. Didn't have a lock for the rifle case so used some zip ties which I've been told are allowable.

Having travelled through ILL-annoy many times (and lived there :uhoh:) and conversed with others doing same with firearms, I would STRONGLY suggest making sure your firearms, cased or not are locked up out of sight. Preferrably in a trunk.If notthat in a locked 'container' in the back of the SUV or behind the seat of your pickup COVERED with a non descript blanket. If you really want to cover it, remove the slide or bolt and store in a separate container. Yes it's a PIA, but that's what I do for allbut my immediate carry iron. Run a cheap cable lock through a revolver or a firearm you don't wish to disassemble. In other words go beyond the 'separate (locked) containers for guns and ammo. Take the argument away from them. Beyond that, take only what you think you must have for the remainder of your journey and where you are going.

I would also suggest not having any gunnie stickers on your vehicle or gun related stuff in your car (i.e.SGN, G&A, Rifleman)that is easily observable in a traffic stop or a happenstance observation of a cop if at a gas or food stop. (good opsec anyway) I NEVER stop in Ill-annoy and go the shortest route possible to get through, stopping for fuel and nature breaks at the IN/IA/MO/WI/KY border(s) before entering communist territory.

If you are ever pulled over or a rogue cop (they don't give a da%n aboutyour rights and have the upper hand at the moment, like it or not)happens to seeinside your vehicle at a gas stop, they'll consider the gun case probable cause to search yourvehicle. I had a friend who was travelling there many years ago with an AR laying in the backseat, unloaded. Not smart, I'll grant you, but he was justa young country boy that didn'tknow any better. He stopped at a rest area for a nap and aStateTrooper came by and saw the firearm. Ooopsie. He arrestedhim for improper transportand took both theAR and his revolver (properly stowed). The gunswere never recovered and it turned out to be a very expensiveerror on his part.