• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawmakers to seek ban on military-style weapons

swatspyder

imported post

State lawmakers to seek ban on sales of semi-automatic weapons

In response to recent shooting deaths, three state lawmakers say they want to ban the sale of military-style semi-automatic weapons in Washington.

By Molly Rosbach

Seattle Times staff reporter

In response to recent shooting deaths, three state lawmakers say they want to ban the sale of military-style semi-automatic weapons in Washington.

The lawmakers intend to propose the ban in the state legislative session that begins next month.

The legislation, called the Aaron Sullivan Public Safety and Police Protection Bill, would prohibit the sale of such weapons to private citizens and require current owners to pass background checks.

It is named for Aaron Sullivan, 18, who was fatally shot last July in Seattle's Leschi neighborhood, allegedly with an assault-style weapon.

Supporters say they also are motivated by the Oct. 31 slaying of Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton and the wounding of his partner. Police believe a .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle was used then.

The bill is backed by Seattle's police department, spokeswoman Renee Witt said. Also pushing it is Washington Ceasefire, a nonprofit that seeks to reduce gun violence. The group plans a news conference today to announce the proposal.

The lawmakers who plan to sponsor the bill are Rep. Ross Hunter, D-Medina; Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle; and Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles, D-Seattle.

The ban would cover semiautomatics designed for military use that are capable of rapid-fire and can hold more than 10 rounds. Semiautomatics designed for sporting or hunting purposes wouldn't be banned.

"If they're used in the army, used in the war — that's what this ban is about," said Ralph Fascitelli, the board president of Washington Ceasefire.

Dave Workman, senior editor of Gun Week, a publication of the Second Amendment Foundation in Bellevue, said such a ban would punish law-abiding citizens who own such guns.

"I don't care if my neighbor has a dozen of the things; ... as long as he's not hurting anyone or breaking any laws, leave him alone," Workman said.

He also said he doesn't consider the gun police say was used to kill Brenton an assault rifle.

advertising

Hunter knows getting the bill through the Legislature would be difficult, because of concerns about limits on gun ownership. However, he thinks the ban is necessary.

"We don't allow people to own tanks or bazookas or machine guns, and very few people think that that's an unreasonable restriction," he said.

Kohl-Welles said the lawmakers are trying to be practical and aren't suggesting guns be taken from current owners.

"What we're trying to get at is there's no place to have sales of military assault rifles or weapons in this state," she said.

She also said she doesn't believe such a ban would violate the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms.

"Did the framers of our Constitution ever envision something like a semi-automatic weapon?" she asked.

Local News | State lawmakers to seek ban on sales of semi-automatic weapons | Seattle Times Newspaper

Contact Rep. Hunter:
District office:
1611 116th Ave NE
Suite 206
Bellevue, WA 98004
(425) 453-3064

Olympia office:
PO Box 40600
330 John L. O'Brien Bldg.
Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7936

Toll-free Hotline: 1-800-562-6000
TTY (hearing impaired): 1-800-635-9993
hunter.ross@leg.wa.gov

-----------------------------------------------

Contacting Sen. Adam Kline
By Phone:
Olympia Office: (360) 786-7688

By E-Mail
kline.adam@leg.wa.gov

By Postal Mail
Sen. Adam Kline
PO Box 40437
Olympia, WA 98504-0437

-----------------------------------------------

Contacting Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles
By Phone:
Olympia Office: (360) 786-7670
Seattle Office: (206) 281-6854
Fax: (206) 216-3182

By E-mail:
kohl-welles.jeanne@leg.wa.gov

By Postal Mail
Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles
PO Box 40436
Olympia, WA 98504-0436

I called the NRA-ILA and the rep who I spoke to told me that they are fully aware of what is going on with this proposed ban. He also mentioned that at the moment, everything that can be done is spread the word about how this bill is going to affect gun owners.

We all need to send off emails to the legislators and/or call them up and let them know that we will not back down. We will not allow the government to further regulate our right to own firearms. That assault weapons are not sold to any civilians. That the AR-15 and AK-47 rifles are not used by the military and are not automatic, and are not more lethal than any other gun. And that if we want to put 5, 10, 30, 100 bullets into a magazine and attach that to our firearm, that they will not stop us from doing so and they have no right to stop us.

If there are any town-hall meetings going on in Seattle or Olympia about this ban, ALL gun owners alike, CC or OC need to be contacted and need to show up to defend our right to own ALL rifles, pistols and any other firearms that are currently legal to own.

Responsible Citizens Against the Aaron Sullivan Semi-Automatic Weapons Ban
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seattle-WA/Responsible-Citizens-against-the-Aaron-Sullivan-Semi-Automatic-Weapons-Ban/379110330450

This is the full email list of the Washington State Representatives and Senators. https://dlr.leg.wa.gov/MemberEmail/Default.aspx Copy and paste the full list into your email client. If it is too many addresses at once for your email service, try splitting the email addresses into groups of 10 or so.

alexander.gary@leg.wa.gov; anderson.glenn@leg.wa.gov; angel.jan@leg.wa.gov; appleton.sherry@leg.wa.gov; armstrong.mike@leg.wa.gov; bailey.barbara@leg.wa.gov; becker.randi@leg.wa.gov; benton.don@leg.wa.gov; berkey.jean@leg.wa.gov; blake.brian@leg.wa.gov; brandland.dale@leg.wa.gov; brown.lisa@leg.wa.gov; campbell.tom@leg.wa.gov; carlyle.reuven@leg.wa.gov; carrell.michael@leg.wa.gov; chandler.bruce@leg.wa.gov; chase.maralyn@leg.wa.gov; chopp.frank@leg.wa.gov; clibborn.judy@leg.wa.gov; cody.eileen@leg.wa.gov; condotta.cary@leg.wa.gov; conway.steve@leg.wa.gov; crouse.larry@leg.wa.gov; dammeier.bruce@leg.wa.gov; darneille.j@leg.wa.gov; debolt.richard@leg.wa.gov; delvin.jerome@leg.wa.gov; dickerson.marylou@leg.wa.gov; driscoll.john@leg.wa.gov; dunshee.hans@leg.wa.gov; eddy.deborah@leg.wa.gov; eide.tracey@leg.wa.gov; ericks.mark@leg.wa.gov; ericksen.doug@leg.wa.gov; wimpan.susan@leg.wa.gov; fairley.darlene@leg.wa.gov; finn.fred@leg.wa.gov; flannigan.dennis@leg.wa.gov; franklin.rosa@leg.wa.gov; fraser.karen@leg.wa.gov; goodman.roger@leg.wa.gov; green.tami@leg.wa.gov; haigh.kathy@leg.wa.gov; haler.larry@leg.wa.gov; hargrove.jim@leg.wa.gov; hasegawa.bob@leg.wa.gov; hatfield.brian@leg.wa.gov; haugen.marymargaret@leg.wa.gov; herrera.jaime@leg.wa.gov; hewitt.mike@leg.wa.gov; hinkle.bill@leg.wa.gov; hobbs.steve@leg.wa.gov; holmquist.janea@leg.wa.gov; honeyford.jim@leg.wa.gov; hope.mike@leg.wa.gov; hunt.sam@leg.wa.gov; hunter.ross@leg.wa.gov; hurst.christopher@leg.wa.gov; jacks.jim@leg.wa.gov; jacobsen.ken@leg.wa.gov; jarrett.fred@leg.wa.gov; johnson.norm@leg.wa.gov; kagi.ruth@leg.wa.gov; kastama.jim@leg.wa.gov; kauffman.claudia@leg.wa.gov; keiser.karen@leg.wa.gov; kelley.troy@leg.wa.gov; kenney.phyllis@leg.wa.gov; kessler.lynn@leg.wa.gov; kilmer.derek@leg.wa.gov; king.curtis@leg.wa.gov; kirby.steve@leg.wa.gov; kline.adam@leg.wa.gov; klippert.brad@leg.wa.gov; kohl-welles.jeanne@leg.wa.gov; kretz.joel@leg.wa.gov; kristiansen.dan@leg.wa.gov; liias.marko@leg.wa.gov; linville.kelli@leg.wa.gov; marr.chris@leg.wa.gov; maxwell.marcie@leg.wa.gov; mcauliffe.rosemary@leg.wa.gov; mccaslin.bob@leg.wa.gov; mccoy.john@leg.wa.gov; mccune.jim@leg.wa.gov; mcdermott.joe@leg.wa.gov; miloscia.mark@leg.wa.gov; moeller.jim@leg.wa.gov; morrell.dawn@leg.wa.gov; morris.jeff@leg.wa.gov; morton.bob@leg.wa.gov; murray.edward@leg.wa.gov; nealey.terry@leg.wa.gov; nelson.sharon@leg.wa.gov; obrien.al@leg.wa.gov; oemig.eric@leg.wa.gov; orcutt.ed@leg.wa.gov; ormsby.timm@leg.wa.gov; orwall.tina@leg.wa.gov; parker.kevin@leg.wa.gov; parlette.linda@leg.wa.gov; pearson.kirk@leg.wa.gov; pedersen.jamie@leg.wa.gov; pettigrew.eric@leg.wa.gov; pflug.cheryl@leg.wa.gov; prentice.margarita@leg.wa.gov; pridemore.craig@leg.wa.gov; priest.skip@leg.wa.gov; probst.tim@leg.wa.gov; quall.dave@leg.wa.gov; ranker.kevin@leg.wa.gov; regala.debbie@leg.wa.gov; roach.dan@leg.wa.gov; roach.pam@leg.wa.gov; roberts.maryhelen@leg.wa.gov; rockefeller.phil@leg.wa.gov; rodne.jay@leg.wa.gov; rolfes.christine@leg.wa.gov; ross.charles@leg.wa.gov; santos.sharontomiko@leg.wa.gov; schmick.joe@leg.wa.gov; schoesler.mark@leg.wa.gov; seaquist.larry@leg.wa.gov; sells.mike@leg.wa.gov; shea.matt@leg.wa.gov; sheldon.timothy@leg.wa.gov; shin.paull@leg.wa.gov; short.shelly@leg.wa.go; simpson.geoff@leg.wa.gov; smith.norma@leg.wa.gov; springer.larry@leg.wa.gov; stevens.val@leg.wa.gov; sullivan.pat@leg.wa.gov; swecker.dan@leg.wa.gov; takko.dean@leg.wa.gov; taylor.david@leg.wa.gov; tom.rodney@leg.wa.gov; upthegrove.dave@leg.wa.gov; vandewege.kevin@leg.wa.gov; wallace.deb@leg.wa.gov; walsh.maureen@leg.wa.gov; warnick.judy@leg.wa.gov; white.scott@leg.wa.gov; williams.brendan@leg.wa.gov; wood.alex@leg.wa.gov; zarelli.joseph@leg.wa.gov

FunkTrooper

imported post

Wow this sucks I hope it doesn't pass. Interesting the woman asks if the framers ever envisioned the rifles of today because they certainly envisioned the government wanting to take them away.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

It's clear that Kohl-Wells doesn't understand she is a state legislator, and not a member of congress. This legislation would violate the Washington Constitution, by impairing my right to defend myself, my family, and the state. I suppose she would have the citizens of the state use flintlocks to defend against armies with "assault rifles."

Backed by the Seattle Police Department. The City of Seattle that doesn't seem to understand that the rest of the state isn't all like downtown Seattle -- and doesn't want to be.

Time to buy more stripped lowers, even though I think this has a snowball's chance in hell of passing.

:cuss:

Charles

Commodore76

imported post

I wonder, if the Gov did start to alter the State Constitution, how many good little children would do as they are told and turn in their WMD's.

How many times will law abiding citizens draw lines in the sand, just to have Gov hop right over it, smiling the whole time?

Sites like this help spread the word. What's the point of spreading the word? Is it to keep people informed? If so, to what end? So we can get more and more pissed off as we sit here, drinking our morning coffee?

To all of you who daily take a stand and assert your Constitutional RIGHTS and do your best to positively educate others, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

For those of you who feel very strongly that we don't need to have more gun laws on the books, but don't yet feel like making waves, maybe it's time to make those feelings a bit more evident.

The battle for gun control is revolutionary. It keeps coming back around every so often and, in doing so, we loose a little ground each time it happens. When are we going to stop being the loosers?

I know that gun owners might be the minority in this State, but seriously, how can one with a gun be controlled by one without?

I really hate the SOB I'm going to quote here, but it is applicable to the previous sentence. "One man with a gun can control one HUNDRED men without" ~Lenin (May he burn in hell)

I know this sounds like a frustrated rant. It is. I just don't seem to be able to wrap my mind around always being on the loosing side of this war on our rights.

Dave Workman

imported post

Commodore:

The governor, alone, cannot alter the constitution. The governor can propose changes, but constitutional amendments MUST be submitted to the citizens.

The governor, in all fairness, is not proposing any of this, that's the handiwork of Rep. Hunter, and Senators Kline and Kohl-Welles.

You want to do something about this? Good. You will not be alone. Later this morning, I'll post my installment of the "Seattle Gun Rights Examiner" column here with some suggestions.

Also, keep your calendar open. There will likely be an opportunity to attend a public hearing about this in Olympia. When that occurs, you can bring your friends.

Who is YOUR state senator and who are YOUR state representatives? If you don't know who they are, find out and let them know of your opposition to this legislation, and advise them that their votes on gun bans will be the "acid test" that determines how you, your family, and everyone you can reach in your neighborhood will vote in 2010 when it comes time to re-elect these people, or replace them with someone who does not consider your civil rights to be expendable.

Commodore76

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Commodore:

The governor, alone, cannot alter the constitution. The governor can propose changes, but constitutional amendments MUST be submitted to the citizens.

The governor, in all fairness, is not proposing any of this, that's the handiwork of Rep. Hunter, and Senators Kline and Kohl-Welles.

You want to do omething about this? Good. You will not be alone. Later this morning, I'll post my installment of the "Seattle Gun Rights Examiner" column here with some suggestions.

Also, keep your calendar open. There will likely be an opportunity to attend a public hearing about this in Olympia. When that occurs, you can bring your friends.

Who is YOUR state senator and who are YOUR state representatives? If you don't know who they are, find out and let them know of your opposition to this legislation, and advise them that their votes on gun bans will be the "acid test" that determines how you, your family, and everyone you can reach in your neighborhood will vote in 2010 when it comes time to re-elect these people, or replace them with someone who does not consider your civil rights to be expendable.

Dave,

"Gov" was short for Government, not Christine.

Thank youfor being on the front line for us.

I hope to see a thread here about the dates and times for hearings. Yeah, I'll bring a few red-necks. I have muzzles and promise not to let them get out of hand.

Dave Workman

imported post

Commodore76 wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
Commodore:

You want to do omething about this? Good. You will not be alone. Later this morning, I'll post my installment of the "Seattle Gun Rights Examiner" column here with some suggestions.

Dave,

"Gov" was short for Government, not Christine.

Thank youfor being on the front line for us.

I hope to see a thread here about the dates and times for hearings. Yeah, I'll bring a few red-necks. I have muzzles and promise not to let them get out of hand.

Well, no, Commodore... don't muzzle them. Let them get a "little" out of hand. ;)

Ah, "Gov."

"What we have heah, is failure to communicate..." - Strother Martin. :lol:

Commodore76

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Today, 10:00AM, action needed.... I can't make it from Whidbey Island:

http://www.facebook.com/AaronSullivanAssaultWeaponsBan
Just read this guys page. I am blown away by the ignorance. Most of my life, I have wanted stupid to be painful, that couldn't be more true than it is now.

If that were the case, this guy'd be on a morphine drip. Got this pic off his site. Took about half a second to correct all the errors. Anyone savvy at photoshop? I would love to make my own, "special" version of this pic.

Commodore76

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
What changes to those captions were you thinking of?

Fire selector mode: Safe/semi or already SEVERELY RESTRICTED...

Scope turns weapon into aSLOW fire but as accurate as the user, weapon.

Hand guards to mount crap on.

Flash suppressor to make user think they are invisible and to look cool.

Laser-pointing flashlight to show the bad guys your EXACT position.

The "I don't know what these are..." bubbles? Yeah, I'd just remove that bubble altogether. STUPID!

Black color scheme? Pink was too expensive.

Pistol grip allows for both jack and shlt shooting from the hip.

High Capacity MAGAZINE: Mag shown does have a limit, despite what the movies say. Unless trained or practiced, cannot be reloaded fast enough to maintain continuous rate of fire.

Foregrips aid in CQB, nothing helps maintain much accuracy during "automatic fire". See note one with regard to already illegal full auto fire by average Joe.

Overall length makes for easy way to get arrested at gunpoint for the rather large, threateningbulge under the largest of trench coats. (Carried an OA-98 concealled for many years. It printed way to much and was easy to spot for the trained eye.)

Those are just off the top of my head and I'm sure there are more creative folks out there than I.

Metalhead47

imported post

And so it begins. Knew this was coming down the pike. Picked up my AK a couple weeks ago, picking an AR this weekend. They want to ban "semiautomatic military rifles" and no military in the even USES semiautomatic rifles!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh, and guys, that pic was meant to be A JOKE! Whoever attached it to the website obviously didn't get it. Besides, the red dot "scope," pistol grip & flash hider on my 9mm Hi-Point carbine sure do turn it into a raging death machine, doesn't it work that way for y'all too? :quirky

Commodore76

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
And so it begins. Knew this was coming down the pike. Picked up my AK a couple weeks ago, picking an AR this weekend. They want to ban "semiautomatic military rifles" and no military in the even USES semiautomatic rifles!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh, and guys, that pic was meant to be A JOKE! Whoever attached it to the website obviously didn't get it. Besides, the red dot "scope," pistol grip & flash hider on my 9mm Hi-Point carbine sure do turn it into a raging death machine, doesn't it work that way for y'all too? :quirky

Knew it was a joke, but it's on an anti facebook page as kind of a serious propaganda machine.

With regard to accessories, every weapon can be modified by the user for a specific purpose. If your accessories suit your needs, than who is anyone to criticize?

My flash suppressor makes mine a real, um, well, the inch and a half makes it a legal 16" barrel, does that count for anything? It kind of suppresses the flash a little, but on a 14.5" hard barrel, well, not invisible, by any means.

Pretty sure most AR's come with a pistol grip. Ever tried firing from the hip? Yeah, it's possible, sucks for accuracy unless you have practiced point shooting that thing a lot!

"Raging Death Machine"? Can I steal that line from you? I want to put it on the bug guard on my truck.

Make sure that, after you buy your AR, make sure you buy enoughstuff to guard it with ifsomeone were to come around telling you where you can turn it in like a good little subject! (Great choice on the AK, by the way! Indestructible!!!)

MOLON LABE

Metalhead47

imported post

Commodore76 wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
Knew it was a joke, but it's on an anti facebook page as kind of a serious propaganda machine.

With regard to accessories, every weapon can be modified by the user for a specific purpose. If your accessories suit your needs, than who is anyone to criticize?

My flash suppressor makes mine a real, um, well, the inch and a half makes it a legal 16" barrel, does that count for anything? It kind of suppresses the flash a little, but on a 14.5" hard barrel, well, not invisible, by any means.

Pretty sure most AR's come with a pistol grip. Ever tried firing from the hip? Yeah, it's possible, sucks for accuracy unless you have practiced point shooting that thing a lot!

"Raging Death Machine"? Can I steal that line from you? I want to put it on the bug guard on my truck.

Make sure that, after you buy your AR, make sure you buy enoughstuff to guard it with ifsomeone were to come around telling you where you can turn it in like a good little subject! (Great choice on the AK, by the way! Indestructible!!!)

MOLON LABE
Sure you can use the line. Pumpkins now tremble at the sound of my rattly cheap plastic guns!

And just for the record, I will happily turn over all my weapons to anyone who asks. They can start with the bullets. Pointy-end first.

Tawnos

imported post

Commodore76 wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
What changes to those captions were you thinking of?

Fire selector mode: Safe/semi or already SEVERELY RESTRICTED...

Scope turns weapon into aSLOW fire but as accurate as the user, weapon.

Hand guards to mount crap on.

Flash suppressor to make user think they are invisible and to look cool.

Laser-pointing flashlight to show the bad guys your EXACT position.

The "I don't know what these are..." bubbles? Yeah, I'd just remove that bubble altogether. STUPID!

Black color scheme? Pink was too expensive.

Pistol grip allows for both jack and shlt shooting from the hip.

High Capacity MAGAZINE: Mag shown does have a limit, despite what the movies say. Unless trained or practiced, cannot be reloaded fast enough to maintain continuous rate of fire.

Foregrips aid in CQB, nothing helps maintain much accuracy during "automatic fire". See note one with regard to already illegal full auto fire by average Joe.

Overall length makes for easy way to get arrested at gunpoint for the rather large, threateningbulge under the largest of trench coats. (Carried an OA-98 concealled for many years. It printed way to much and was easy to spot for the trained eye.)

Those are just off the top of my head and I'm sure there are more creative folks out there than I.
You understand satire, right? That picture is humor, pointing out idiocy of people who believe that stuff.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Look if they are using a picture with our mocking written into then let them. "Black color scheme makes the bullets more deadly" let them believe that and we'll find out if our education system has worked out as bad as California's.

Tawnos

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Look if they are using a picture with our mocking written into then let them. "Black color scheme makes the bullets more deadly" let them believe that and we'll find out if our education system has worked out as bad as California's.
That image was put up by someone who opposes the ban. Read the quote below it: "Note: Nothing in this image is to be taken seriously or as fact." Read the comments: http://www.facebook.com/AaronSulliv...l&view=global&subj=127113938021&id=1655186248

It was MOCKING HUMOR, they weren't using the picture, someone who opposes them was.

cdjspider

imported post

Commodore76 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Today, 10:00AM, action needed.... I can't make it from Whidbey Island:

http://www.facebook.com/AaronSullivanAssaultWeaponsBan
Just read this guys page. I am blown away by the ignorance. Most of my life, I have wanted stupid to be painful, that couldn't be more true than it is now.

If that were the case, this guy'd be on a morphine drip. Got this pic off his site. Took about half a second to correct all the errors. Anyone savvy at photoshop? I would love to make my own, "special" version of this pic.
Well Im pretty bored today so I can help you out with shopping the pic :cool:

FunkTrooper

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
That image was put up by someone who opposes the ban. Read the quote below it: "Note: Nothing in this image is to be taken seriously or as fact." Read the comments: http://www.facebook.com/AaronSullivanAssaultWeaponsBan#/photo.php?pid=287314&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=127113938021&id=1655186248

It was MOCKING HUMOR, they weren't using the picture, someone who opposes them was.
Yes I know Tawnos, I think it's pretty ironic.