• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington State lawmakers to seek ban on military-style weapons

We-the-People

imported post

The problem with our "system" is that the grabbers (and every other special interest group looking for "progress"ive laws) continue to play the same cards over and over until, after being told so many times, seem to be the truth to a sufficient number of sheep that they win a tiny legal hold somewhere abotu some thing. Then they work on that.

This can be seen over and over. Two excellent examples are smoking bans and DUI levels. When they first started, the anti-smoking special interst groups had zero chance of getting what they wanted..... a total ban on smoking anywhere they might be..... so they started with baby steps and "non smoking sections" on airplanes where they argued they were cooped up and involuntarilly being exposed to hazardous smoke (which, to date, has not been scientifically shown to cause any harm to anyone other than those who are allergic to it). If you doubt this, I have the scientific evidence (which happens to be the same evidence they use to justify their "hazardous" headlines). Today we find ourselves well along the slippery slope towards the ultimate goal of the anti-smokers, banning of tobacco, with prohibitions on using the stuff on private property. But they won't get to a total banuntil such time as the government no longer makes sufficient profits from their taxes on tobacco. The government, in fact, makes more "profit" from tobacco than ALL the other players in the chain of production and distribution COMBINED.

With the DUI issue, the Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) goal is a 0.00 threshold for DUI. one little blip of alcohol and you're DUI. Yet they, just as the anti-smoking groups, knew from the start that 0.00 wouldn't fly. So they fought for 0.10 and when they got that almost universally though the country they began going for 0.08 then 0.04 for commercial drivers. Now we hear of sporadic arguments to reduce the level to 0.05 and 0.01 for commercial drivers. Again, the slippery slope is working to their advantage with one tiny victory being worked, repeatedly, until the next slip down the slope is complete.

Now, I don't advocate drunk driving but 0.08 is more than sufficient when one considers that the driver at 0.08 is almost certainly more capable of driving safely than the "protected" 85 year old that gets his license renewal through the mail and hasn't seen the inside of a DMV office in 10 or 20 years..... or perhaps he did but no one dared question him. My own father in law, at 87, was in this position and WE had to take in upon ourselves to remove his license from him to prevent his driving because DMV just gave him a new one. My wifes aunt is the same. At age 84 she got her renewal notice in the mail and just sent in the check. Yet she'd run over a sidewalk and several large landscapign rocks just a couple of months prior and didn't even know it!

DO NOT allow any compromise on the RIGHT of the PEOPLE to keep and bear ARMS. The 2nd has no limitation on what those arms are. Nor does it authorize government to require the PEOPLE to obtain permission to exercise their RIGHTS. This is the reason you'll probably never see a dime of my money go to the NRA who are too ready to compromise for fear of losing if they stand by their principles. (I say probably because they may, some day, see the error of their ways).

Cases such as this one in Washington are exactly why OCDO is alive and well, growing substantially, and more and more of THE PEOPLE are standing up and demanding their RIGHT to keep and bear arms. While CC is great, only OC makes a political statement and makes visible the number of armed and lawful citizens who must be considered by both the criminal element and the politicians (not that there is much difference these days!).

WE THE PEOPLE

We-the-People

imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
Excellant post WTP.

I try. Sometimes I ramble though. A hazard of having taken two years of typing in high school (back when the top of the line was an IBM selectric). I managed 27 wpm after those two years, partially because of the distraction of being in a 60 student class and being only one of six male students the first year and the ONLY male student the second year. The birth of computer keyboards freed me from those archaic machines somewhat but those first machines couldn't keep up and I found myself listening to the beep beep beeps of a full "buffer" and having to stop and wait for the computer to catch up.

I haven't had that problem since the advent of the pentium processors though. LOL

There is a saying that "the pen is mightier than the sword". Well, I have to tell you, typing is a very useful tool. One I used on many occasions during my time in the Corps to "make things happen". After having had more officers (college edumacated)than I can remember bring me (the hick town high school grad) their correspondence, usually handwritten and quite gramatically suffering, to "fix", I found myself with quite a disdain for "higher education".

Yet here I am, in my forties (barely), and a freshman in college. OH JOY. LOL

So if you find me rambling around here, just remember, I type about 100 wpm from my thoughts to the screen and feel free to "skim".

WE THE PEOPLE

c45man

imported post

As Mr. Hunter said, getting this law through the legislature will be difficult. Quite the understatement considering the election year.

Also, Heller protects commonly used weapons.

okboomer

imported post

So, they would want my .30 cal carbine? My DPMS? My M14? How about the SKS? It wasn't used by the American Military ... but it does shoot the 7.62 Nato round which is/was an American Military round.

And, yup, it sounds like there goes all our 1911 .45's ... and isn't the Army using 9mm now?

And my 12 ga. pumps? What's next, any calibur that a police force uses/d?

Good luck to those who live in Washington ... sounds like you have a fight on your hands.

Hold the line and stand your ground for all the rest of us.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Statesman wrote:
I would not engage these people on what constitutes a hunting rifle versus military rifle. If you do, you risk affirming their "hunting rights only" argument as legitimate. Once they have that, they will move to ban hunting. I believe the argument should be based on the original premise and intent behind the 2nd amendment.

This puts the opposing and supporting sides in the correct political categories. The minute we adopt "their" arguments on classifying what constitutes appropriate gun ownership, is the minute we lose our gun rights, Canadian style.
+1. The second amendment specifically addresses weapons of a MILITARY PURPOSE.