• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns for LESS The San Diego turn in on Monday

Edward Peruta

imported post

Gundude,

On their website they use .org when in fact it's .com.

I believe you are correct in addressing any violent comments or threats, regardless of how they may have been intended.

Edward Peruta

imported post

This story may seem out of place on this board, but after today, may be relevent.

I was extremely involved with exposing both Rev. Nora Wyatt and Rev. Henry Price, and can tell you that Henry Price was returned to prison to serve a rather lengthy period behind bars.

Threats against those asking questions were made in this incident also.

Their whole religous non profit was a scam to get money. Oh how today seemed like looking back in history.

Here is one of the artilcles from the distant past.

Affidavits tie Price to sex, money

August 3, 2000[/b]

HARTFORD, Connecticut (The Hartford Courant) -- The Rev. Henry Price used his appetite for sex and his connections as a prison counselor to lure drug-addicted prostitutes to work for him as their pimp at a massage parlor, on the streets of Hartford and from their homes, according to affidavits released Wednesday.

The allegations in two arrest warrant affidavits ordered released by a Superior Court judge portray a minister who solicited sex from prostitutes citywide in the wee hours, and provided them with money and transportation to buy drugs to support their habits.

In all, eight admitted prostitutes, some who ended up working for Price and some who did not, describe a similar pattern. Two of the women, reached separately, confirmed the accounts they gave police.

Michelle Irizarry, 27, was one of the women named in the warrants. In an interview outside her Bloomfield home, she ridiculed Price's image as a reformed convict -- he was released in 1994 after serving 12 years for a murder conviction -- who had become a counselor trying to help.

"All that is bull----,'' said Irizarry, who indicated she met Price in 1995 when she was in detox at the Blue Ridge program where he was a counselor. "I don't think he wanted to help me. He wanted to help himself by putting me on the street to put money in his pocket.''

The release of the affidavits was ordered by a Superior Court judge on motions submitted by Price and The Courant.

The material in the affidavits, released for the first time since Price's arrest on July 19, lends support to the charges leveled by police against one of their harshest critics. Price has been outspoken in recent years about police treatment of minorities in particular; he led weekly rallies outside police headquarters in the wake of the slaying of a 14-year-old black robbery suspect last year by a white officer.

Price's attorney, Salvatore Bonanno, said Wednesday afternoon he will investigate the facts and the credibility of the witnesses before drawing any conclusions about the case against his client.

"They are of a shady background. They are former admitted prostitutes and junkies, if not current prostitutes and junkies. That's not the most stellar background,'' Bonanno said.

A call for help

According to the affidavits, the police department's fast-moving investigation of Price began on June 28, when Ana Martinez, a counselor at Community Partners in Action where Price worked, reported to police that Maribel Ferrer, a client of the agency, called the agency upset. She was pregnant by Price, she told a counselor, and was being beaten because she refused to get an abortion.

"The Rev. Henry Price was trying to beat the baby out of her,'' Ferrer told the police and the counselor, the affidavit said. Later, when vice and narcotics police interviewed Ferrer, she told them Price had found a job for her in March at the Garden of Eden, a massage parlor in Meriden, and she had to give him most of the money she made, it says.

A month after she had been working for Price, Ferrer sought drug counseling help from Price at the urging Hartford Sgt. Christopher Lyons, after she was found smoking cocaine with a former Hartford Police officer Gregory M. Thompson. Thompson would resign amid the allegations.

Ferrer later recanted her accusations that Price assaulted her or was her pimp, after Price sent a letter to her lawyer threatening to sue Ferrer for slander. But Wednesday, Ferrer stuck to her original story.

During an interview Wednesday at her father's Hartford apartment where she lives, Ferrer described herself as a betrayed lover and as an abused woman.

Ferrer said Price beeped his horn at her one February afternoon while she walking to the store for cigarettes. She said he'd told her he'd noticed her before but hadn't dared stop. She was "drug sick," seeking cash for a heroin fix. So she said she jumped in the car. He paid her $20 and took her to his office in Stowe Village for sex. But Ferrer was too ill to go through to the end, she said, and Price told her to keep the money.

Hearing that he was a drug counselor, Ferrer asked Price to get her into a substance abuse treatment program. First, he arranged for her to General Hospital in New Britain, and then a program run by Mount Sinai Hospital, she said.

When she got out, Price resumed their sexual relationship, and Ferrer said she believed she was his girlfriend.

"He asked me if I wanted to be his girl, and I said `Yes,'" she said.

In the meantime, she said, she began turning tricks, first at a Meriden massage parlor and later on the streets, at his suggestion. She said he told her that if he was to divorce his wife and leave Hartford he needed her make the bucks.

Ferrer said she didn't believe Price loved her, but he took care of her, buying her clothes and sneakers.

"He was a nice guy. He treated me right," she said. But she said she resented his demands and roughness; she accused him of hitting and slapping her when she would refuse to walk the streets for him.

One count of third-degree assault against Price is related to accusations made by Ferrer.

More women's stories

Wednesday, in a lengthy interview on the porch of her Bloomfield apartment, Irizarry said the police got it all right.

"What I said is true,'' Irizarry said. "He wanted to pimp me. But he never got me. He never got to pimp me. I never gave him the chance.''

She said after meeting Price in 1995, she next saw him in the summer of 1998, when she was working the streets late at night.

Price gave her his card and told her to call if she wanted to get back into a program. She called him three or four days later, and he picked her up on Albany Avenue.

According to Irrizary's affidavit, Price gave her $40 and took her to go buy cocaine. Then he drove her to an East Hartford motel.

During the ride, Price said that she should go into a detox program and when she came out, and if she still wanted to work the streets, she should work for him, her police affidavit said.

He would get her an apartment and buy her clothes and take care of her. All she would have to do in return was give him 75 percent of the money she made, according to the affidavit. After they had sex, Price gave her an additional $10 and drove her to another Hartford drug market, where she bought heroin and took it inside Price's car.

He then dropped her off on Farmington Avenue, and watched as she was picked up by a customer, who paid her $40 for a sex act.

Later, she returned to Price and told him that she only received $20 and gave it to Price, and then left the area, and avoided him.

"I was afraid,'' she said Wednesday. "He never got to hit me. He never got a chance. I said to myself 'Never again,'" meaning she was ending her relationship with Price.

She then spotted Price dropping off three women who she knew were prosititutes.

"I always told people on the street that he was no good - that he was trying to pimp,'' she said in the interview.

This past February, Price spotted Irizarry on Norwich Street and called her names, she said.

He said that she "should have done what he wanted her to do and she would have been straight,'' according to the affidavit.

Now, Irizarry said she wants nothing to do with the streets.

"I'm clean,'' Irizarry said.

Dawn Sukhai, 39, of East Hartford, told police on July 10 she was referred to Price by the prison and she started having sex with him a month after she was released in February 1999, the affidavit said.

A month later Sukhai said she started working as a prostitute for Price at the Meriden massage parlor. He took her to the place the first day and picked her up at 4 a.m., the affidavit said. After she was done, he rented a car so she could get to work. She gave him the $300 she made to pay for the rental car.

Sukhai's roommate, Kecia Goodwin, 34, told police on three separate occasions, Price called the house and told Sukhai he was sending over johns.

"Suhkai was working as a prostitute for the Rev. Henry Price right out of her apartment in East Hartford as well as in Meriden,'' the affidavit says.

Despite the number of women cited in the affidavits, Price still has supporters. Many were in court Wednesday at the hearing where a judge ruled the affidavits should be unsealed.

Hours later, the Rev. Nora Wyatt, a supporter of Price and co-host of a cable access program with him, supported his fellow minister.

"There has to be more than someone just saying something,'' Wyatt said. "There has to be hotel receipts. If you rent someone a car, that doesn't make you a pimp. The Hartford Police Department has more to do than play the innocent role they are playing. It's so polluted.

"(Price) worked with prostitutes. He worked with drug abusers. If that's your job, how do you protect yourself. If I pick you up and drop you off, that doesn't make you a pimp. They are just allegations,'' Wyatt said. "There's got to be something more than people making blanket statements. Where are the johns and where's the money?''

Edward Peruta

imported post

What was the value of the Antique Flintlock Rifle?

http://www.ambroseantiques.com/flongarms.htm

This email was sent to Debbie Baker at the Uniion Tribune

I've posted your article at www.opencarry.com
Thank you for confirming my belief that some participants may have surrendered extremely valuable weapons. Mr. Gonzales and the owner of the "Flintlock Rifle" stand out.

I will be attempting to obtain a photograph of the Flintlock for wider distribution regarding it's possible historical loss.

What was the value of the Antique Flintlock Rifle?

http://www.ambroseantiques.com/flongarms.htm

Could Mr. 74 year old Mr. Gonzales have sold his weapon and received more money for FOOD?

Why is the organizationSTILL raising funds?

What happens to the UNEXPENDED donations?

What was the PUBLIC COST to havemembers ofthe San Diego Police Department at this event?

Gun owners swap weapons for gift cards
By Debbi Baker, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
Originally published December 21, 2009 at 2:28 p.m., updated December 22, 2009 at 12:05 a.m.

San Diego Police Officer, Paul Choi, left, removes a rifle from the trunk of John Thompson's car during the firearm exchange program at the United African American Ministerial Action Council offices on Market Street. Thompson traded the rifle in for a $50 gift card. The program is an effort to reduce gun related violence by getting as many off the street as possible.

SAN DIEGO — Armand Gonzales drove from Chula Vista to southeastern San Diego yesterday morning to turn in four guns he said he no longer needed in exchange for groceries he could definitely use.

Gonzales, 74, had hoped to receive more than one $50 gift card but was still happy with the exchange. As he left, he said he was going to “buy food!”

This was the second year for the gun swap, which was conducted by the United African-American Ministerial Action Council, headquartered in Chollas View. The goal is to curb gun violence and make communities safer, said Gerald Brown, the interfaith organization’s spokesman.

In the first hour, about 50 firearms were turned it. They included revolvers, semiautomatic handguns, rifles, a pistol that had been modified into a shotgun, and an antique flintlock rifle.

“Our focus is simple,” Brown said. “Getting guns off the street so they are not available to be used in crimes.”

Cars were lined up around the block at 9 a.m. off Market Street near Euclid Avenue when the program started. Participants received a $50 card for handguns and rifles and $100 for assault weapons.

The program runs on donations collected from all over the county, Brown said. Last year the group collected about $10,000. This year it has received less, but the group is still collecting donations, Brown said.

The unloaded guns are cataloged by type and checked for serial numbers, and then they will be destroyed, said Mona Vallon, manager of the San Diego Police Department’s property room.

“The more guns we get off the street, the safer the city is,” said Police Chief William Lansdowne, who stopped by to see the response.

Councilman Tony Young, whose district includes Chollas View, said he was grateful to everyone who helped make the gun exchange possible.

Not everyone was so enthusiastic. About a half-dozen men who said they are advocates of “open carry,” the practice of openly and legally wearing an unloaded gun, stood at the corner of Market Street.

They held signs and handed out fliers that urged people to sell their weapons rather than turn them in for “pennies on the dollar.”

None of the men was armed.

“We feel people are being disenfranchised, and they are not being given the opportunity to sell their guns at proper value,” said Nathan Wolanyk of Escondido. “Many don’t understand what guns are worth.”

Jeff Stoffel held a sign that read: “Get a fair price for your gun. Ask us how.”

Stoffel said they were just trying to educate the public and let people know they have a choice when it comes to disposing of a weapon.

“Have they ever been to a death scene?” said the interfaith group’s executive director Robert Tambuzi, referring to the protesters. “Have they ever known someone who was shot by needless gun violence?”

Gary Marow of Cardiff turned in a 12-gauge Mossberg shotgun given to him years ago. Marow, a gun advocate who owns other weapons, said he no longer used it, so he decided to bring it in.

Last year, the program collected 305 weapons, including handguns, rifles and assault rifles. The exchange was so popular that all the gift cards were gone in just two hours.

Nopal

imported post

That is just plain disgusting.

If that flintlock rifle was in fact an antique, the cops and organizers are not only guilty of breaking a dozen firearms laws that they swore to enforce, laws that they later on turn around and jail people for violating, but are also guilty of destroying historical artifacts.

That issickening.

Gundude

imported post

Nopal wrote:
That is just plain disgusting.

If that flintlock rifle was in fact an antique, the cops and organizers are not only guilty of breaking a dozen firearms laws that they swore to enforce, laws that they later on turn around and jail people for violating, but are also guilty of destroying historical artifacts.

That issickening.

That flintlock is probably hanging over some LEO's fireplace now. Nah, they wouldn't do that, would they?

Edward Peruta

imported post

Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:18 AM
To: 'szimmerman@pd.sandiego.gov'
Cc: munozm@pd.sandiego.gov

Subject: Request to photograph "Antique Flintlock Firearm"

Chief Zimmerman,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for the time you gave me at yesterday’s event. It is refreshing to discuss topics with members of law enforcement who are willing to listen.

As you know that yesterday, (in your presence), I stated to the local media, (Channel 10), that valuable weapons may be surrendered to the detriment of the owners, who may or may not know the true value of what they are trading away.

Yesterday when I asked the Lt., (again in your presence), for permission to access and photograph the weapons surrendered together with future access to any list or inventory of the weapons by Make, Model and Serial number the Lt. said that neither would not be allowed.

Hopefully you can now understand my frustration after seeing a video clip which appears to document access by other media personal for the purpose of showing the tagged handguns and long guns collected.

Based on the access that was granted to other members of the media, I request equal access to photograph or videotape the weapons surrendered at yesterday’s event, together with any inventory paperwork which documents by Make, Model and Serial Number[/b] the weapons surrendered to your department on 12.21.09.

AS FOR THE “ANTIQUE FLINTLOCK RIFLE”
[/b]
It is my understanding from a local publish story, (Union Tribune 12.22.09[/b]), that at yesterday’s Gift Card for Guns event, the San Diego Police Department came into possession of an “ANTIQUE FLINTLOCK RIFLE[/b]”.

The undersigned would like to have access to this particular antique weapon so that photographs may be obtained to document approximate age, conditions and country or location of origin if possible.

Depending on the conditions and type of Flintlock, information will be disseminated to various National Firearm Publications with an interest in the loss of a historical firearm under these circumstances.

Considering the fact that the manufacture of Flintlock weapons ended in the early eighteen hundreds following the invention and use of percussion caps, the value of this weapon, together with where it may have traveled in the past 200 years may be of historical value.

If for some reason your department has reason to believe that this weapon was used in a RECENT [/b]criminal act, I will understand any reluctance to grant access to this particular weapon.

If necessary, please consider this a formal request made under the California Public Records laws.

Respectfully submitted,

Edward A. Peruta
American News and Information Services Inc.
860-978-5455

coolusername2007

imported post

Excellent letter Ed.

Unless I'm mistaken, this event seems to have been ignored by some in the media, especially with regard to the GFSZ violation. Could it be the liberal journalists buried the story?

I personally contacted a couple of news outfits about the GFSZ issue and haven't seen a single printed word about it.

Edward Peruta

imported post

In response to my email which is posted above, I was contacted by Asst. Chief Zimmerman and she has informed me that I will be contacted by a Lt. and provided access to the weapons collected so that I may take photographs. I am particularly interested in the "Antique Flintlock Rifle" and the handguns.

I have thanked her for her willingness to discuss this issues and believe she and her department may be open to future discussions on various issues.

I believe that I will also be provided an inventory type list of the weapons collected by Make and Model.

The issue of whether or not my Media Credentials were honored by San Diego Police at the scene is verified by the fact that I was allowed to stay.

I did not shoot any video because Nate was filming the event.

More to follow when I have more to add.

I need to let everyone know that I was there observing as a member of the Media, and could NOT participate in the acivities regardless of my personal feelings. I was somewhat amazed that they asked for my comments and opinions. The comment about the value of weapons to those in need of money for basics seems verified by the comments in the Uniion Tribune article and the fact that the Flintlock was surrendered for $50.00.

I hope to get a copy of the video shot by Nate in the near future.

wewd

imported post

Someone needs to get in contact with a local museum that has an interest in antique firearms and find out if anyone there would be able to document and appraise the flintlock rifle and also see if the police department would be willing to donate the artifact to the museum. There is no reason that an artifact of potentially great historic significance should be destroyed. If this was a family heirloom we may never know its exact history.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow, a flintlock....

I would check to see if you can get them to make an exception with anything of antique value. Even if you have to ask them to accept a donation on behalf of the organization that sponsored the event or something else the police department would be satisfied with.

If denied, or not, I would also ask to witness the destruction of all of the firearms that were collected. Particularly to see that it gets done and no firearm is left out for any reason. Pics and/or video of the firearm destruction would be nice (albeit sad) to have.

pullnshoot25

imported post

CREWDAD wrote:
Nate, are you going to put the video up anytime soon? Would also love to see it. Thanks
I am uploading the video now to Youtube (it failed last night :( ) and it will be available to people in private mode by invite.

If you are an established member on OCDO or Calguns and you send me a PM through either site with your youtube info, I will add you to the list.

I am trying to keep this mostly under wraps for now for strategic purposes.

CREWDAD

imported post

Cool Thanks Nate, I got the audio of the C4 and Napalm comments when I was standing there, but I was hopingto see if you had the video of it too. I'll PM my info to you. Thanks