• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member. First post

mudvr1212

imported post

Hello all!

I have been on this site for the past week and have learned quite a bit of useful information. I thank you for that. I hope to become aquainted withsome of you, and hopefully come to a few meet and greets soon! :monkey

Jeremy

Are there any members that have open carried in Monroe?

sprinklerguy28

imported post

mudvr1212 wrote:
Hello all!

I have been on this site for the past week and have learned quite a bit of useful information. I thank you for that. I hope to become aquainted withsome of you, and hopefully come to a few meet and greets soon! :monkey

Jeremy

Are there any members that have open carried in Monroe?
Welcome to the site. I was in Monroe last weekend for the gun show. After the show I met up with some friends who came over from Dundee. Walked around downtown and grabbed a bite to eat. No problems there as well as I'm in Dundee 3-4 times per month and never have issues.

mudvr1212

imported post

Since I became a member, I haven't missed a day on the site!

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

The Kalamazoo meet I won't be able to attend. Sorry! I just bought a house, and am putting in a new bath tub and painting the kitchen. My brother just surprised me and came home early for the holidays!!!:celebrateHe lives in Las Vegas. I didn't get the house finished before he got home, like I planned, but it's okay.

Once again, thank you and I will be posting soon!

Question. Is it legal to open carry in say Meijer, without having my CPL? Or since they sell liquor, it's required to have a CPL?

T Vance

imported post

mudvr1212 wrote:
Question. Is it legal to open carry in say Meijer, without having my CPL? Or since they sell liquor, it's required to have a CPL?

Welcome to the forum.

No, you may not carry (in any form) into any establishment that has a liquor license without a CPL.

mudvr1212

imported post

Thank you T.

I thought that was the law but I just wanted confirmation.

My friend, who has his CPL, is telling me that it's COMPLETELY ILLEGAL to open carry in Michigan, especially Pistol Free Zones even with a CPL. I tried telling him to get on here and read the laws. He said. My instructor at me CCW class told us that it was illegal and we would get arrested. :cuss:

He may just have to come with me to the class MOC is putting on in Shelby in January (atleast I'mgoing to tryto make it).

T Vance

imported post

mudvr1212 wrote:
My friend, who has his CPL, is telling me that it's COMPLETELY ILLEGAL to open carry in Michigan, especially Pistol Free Zones even with a CPL. I tried telling him to get on here and read the laws. He said. My instructor at me CCW class told us that it was illegal and we would get arrested.

No it is not illegal to OC in Michigan. Only 6 states in the USA have a law that does not allow OC.

It is unlawful to OC in PFZ's without a CPL, as well as CC in PFZ's.But if you have a CPL you CAN OC into PFZ's.

Many CPL instructors pass along bad info like you have stated. Mine said the same thing. True, you may be harrassed for OCing, but it is not happening as much as it used to.

Make sure you read this thread and know it from top to bottom before you decide to start OCing.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/17262.html

mikestilly

imported post

Let's get that CPL Instructors name so we can get him the info he needs. Please post his contact info and one of us will fill him in on Michigan Firearms Laws!

oh yeah and welcome to OCDO!

Mike

mudvr1212

imported post

I'll try to getthe instructorscontact information if my friend still has it.

I've read the thread about three times this week, and have read both the pamphlet and the letter for the LEO from the MOC website.

Very good information, that's exactly what I thought the law said about PFZ's while open carrying with your CPL. If I can't get him on track, I'll have to give one you my friends phone number so you can call him and have a conversation.

Once again, thank you for the warm welcome! This seems like a tight knit group!!!

Michigander

imported post

mudvr1212 wrote:
This seems like a tight knit group!!!

It definitely is. But the interesting thing is that we're tight knit about gun rights, and gun rights only. People here have all types of religious and political backgrounds.

That is the neat thing about 2nd amendment activism. All wings of the political and religious spectrum have room to agree on the right to self preservation.

T Vance

imported post

Michigander wrote:
It definitely is. But the interesting thing is that we're tight knit about gun rights, and gun rights only. People here have all types of religious and political backgrounds.
Yet it seems like everyone knows to take those shoes off at the door when they enter here.

Bronson

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Yet it seems like everyone knows to take those shoes off at the door when they enter here.

I have no shoes because I'm a barefoot heathen :p

Oh, and welcome Jeremy. Give your friend this link

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(m3vxyx450xtnhg55dstrwd55))/mileg.aspx?page=home

Which will allow him to do a keyword search of all of Michigan's Compiled Laws (MCLs) and challenge him to find where it says open carry is illegal.

And don't let him try to sell you on the tired old "there's nothing that says it is legal either." Remember that laws aren't written to tell us what we can do, they are written to identify prohibited behavior and to lay out punishments should you be caught engaging in said behavior. The exception to thisis a law thatauthorizes someone to engage inbehavior that is normally prohibited ....like being licensed to carry a concealed pistol, drive a car, etc. Since there is no law prohibiting OC it is legal.

Put something good on the table like bet him an expensivesteak dinner or as one member suggests get him to put his gun on the line. If he's wrong he'll sign it over to you and if you are you'll signyours over to him. Get him to put his money where his mouth is.

Bronson

SlowDog

imported post

Welcome to OCDO.
I have tried this "Money where thou Mouth is" tactic several times and always get same results. They don't have time for petty BS. Yet they always spew "petty BS". Being I am a truck driver I have even more idiot BS to deal with and the idiots who think they know "gun laws" pertaining to commercial vehicles.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I have actually laid large sums of money on the counter in truck stops and told them "Prove it and put your money where your mouth is or STFU!" They always end up calling me a name or two and skulk off. GO figure.....just sayin.....