• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Property

chaneyd

imported post

This has nothing to do with open carry but I had a question about LEO encounters while on private property i.e., stores, malls, etc. I can't find the answer to this. Do we have to tell the police officer we are carrying?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

chaneyd wrote:
This has nothing to do with open carry but I had a question about LEO encounters while on private property i.e., stores, malls, etc. I can't find the answer to this. Do we have to tell the police officer we are carrying?

If you have a CPL and are in CC mode, you must disclose "immediately" to the LEO if it's more than just casual conversation, i.e. a stop/detainment.

See 28. 425f for disclosure requirements.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

chaneyd wrote:
I understand that, but does private property count as well?

There is no private property exception to this rule.

If you're carrying concealed under authority of a CPL, you must disclose.

There is some conversation as to whether you must disclose on your own private property, since you technically don't need a CPL to carry concealed there, but the general consensus is that you're better off disclosing to avoid a costly lawsuit.

FatboyCykes

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
chaneyd wrote:

There is some conversation as to whether you must disclose on your own private property, since you technically don't need a CPL to carry concealed there, but the general consensus is that you're better off disclosing to avoid a costly lawsuit.

Right, but if you're on YOUR private property, you are no longer carrying CC under the authority of your CPL yes?

BreakingTheMold

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
chaneyd wrote:

Right, but if you're on YOUR private property, you are no longer carrying CC under the authority of your CPL yes?

You may conceal on your private property you own, But I'm not sure that if you had a cpl how that would affect it. I'll look for the cite.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
chaneyd wrote:

IMO, you're correct. I know of no law that requires non-CPL holders to disclose while CC on/in their own property, business, other land they are in possession of.

I think what Ziggy is saying is to disclose to avoid all the hassle that may come your way by a uninformed LEO.

FatboyCykes

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
chaneyd wrote:

IMO, you're correct. I know of no law that requires non-CPL holders to disclose while CC on/in their own property, business, other land they are in possession of.

I think what Ziggy is saying is to disclose to avoid all the hassle that may come your way by a uninformed LEO.
And I don't necessarily disagree. However, there are those who might look at that the same as talking to a LEO too much, giving up freedoms/rights that they don't have to. I dunno, thinking/typing out loud.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
chaneyd wrote:

The CPL law basically says if you're carrying concealed, you must disclose.

There's no exception to it.

So technically, failure to disclose, even on your own private property, could net you an infraction.

An attorney would argue that you weren't carrying under authority of your CPL, and the Prosecutor would argue that the CPL statute doesn't take that into account, thus it doesn't matter - you should disclose.

What I'm saying to you is that you should disclose so you don't have to find out if you're right or wrong. You gave up that part of your right to privacy when you got the privilege of carrying concealed, and those are waters I'm not testing.

conservative85

imported post

A person is not CCW under the following
In His House
At His Place of Business
On Land He Owns

Therefore no CPL is required by law there for it is not enforceable, with or with out a CPL. Same logic goes with the CPL instructors telling people that because their now CPL holders they must conceal carry. The License does not negate the State law on Private Property rule...

Private property over rules all State law on Possession! It is on the front of the MOC tri-fold brochure lol

:D

mikestilly

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
chaneyd wrote:

The CPL law basically says if you're carrying concealed, you must disclose.

There's no exception to it.

So technically, failure to disclose, even on your own private property, could net you an infraction.

An attorney would argue that you weren't carrying under authority of your CPL, and the Prosecutor would argue that the CPL statute doesn't take that into account, thus it doesn't matter - you should disclose.

What I'm saying to you is that you should disclose so you don't have to find out if you're right or wrong. You gave up that part of your right to privacy when you got the privilege of carrying concealed, and those are waters I'm not testing.

Or you can make your life easier and open carry and throw out that disclosure crap.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
In His House
At His Place of Buisness
On Land He Owns

Therefore no CPL is required by law there for it is not enforceable, with or with out a CPL. Same logic goes with the CPL instructors telling people that because their now CPL holders they must conceal carry. The License does not negate the State law on Private Property rule...

Private property over rules all State law on Possesion! It is on the front of the MOC tri-fold brochure lol

Doet! Not This Again! Mikes gonna flip when he see's this!

mikestilly

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
In His House
At His Place of Buisness
On Land He Owns

Therefore no CPL is required by law there for it is not enforceable, with or with out  a CPL.  Same logic goes with the CPL instructors telling people that because their now CPL holders they must conceal carry.  The License does not negate the State law on Private Property rule...

Private property over rules all State law on Possesion! It is on the front of the MOC tri-fold brochure lol

Doet! Not This Again!  Mikes gonna flip when he see's this!

LOL just dont go around touting the constitution is null and void to private property rights and we'll be just fine. We can leave that one to the parking lot bill thread. :celebrate

conservative85

imported post

(Polite voice)...I never said The Constitution is Null & Void to Private Property Rights. (notice no exclamation mark). :)