• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave George Webbs

Fatch

imported post

I tend to stop at George Webbs a few times a week, whenever I'm out and about. And I always open carry. For the first time, today, I was asked to leave the store at 75th and Layton.

I had been there for an hour or so(was trying to type out something) when the waitress asked if it was a pellet gun. I said no. She then told me that it is not legal to carry a weapon in Wisconsin, that we have no carry laws. I explained that in Wisconsin it is, indeed, legal to carry a gun openly.

A few minutes later, she came back around and told me that next time I showed up, I should leave it in the car and walked away.

A minute or two later, she once more came up to me and asked if I had my car. I said yes, and she then told me I had to go put the gun in the car, explaining that the owners do not want any guns on the property. I shut down my computer, put it in my backpack, put on my jacket and left.
(The money was already on the bill, however, the tip was not... Thankfully)

This is kind of odd, as I've OC'd in that Webbs quite often, as well as several others owned by the same people, with no complaints. Questions(IE: Is that a gun, why do you carry it, I didn't know that was legal, etc.) but no problems, before.

One other waitress a few weeks before had told me that I was simply not allowed to remove it from the holster.

AaronS

imported post

You are a better man then I.

If I had placed my order, and started to eat, or was done eating, and was at that time asked to leave, I would comply 100%, and go, without paying. Hey, the service I ask for was not given, why should I pay. Makes me sad to know that Webbs will kick me out, but Mc Death is happy to see me...

I will be sending Webbs a nice letter. I like the place, and hate to think that I am not welcome any more...
Thanks for the info.

Fatch

imported post

Like I said, the money was already sitting on top of the check.. I had finished eating, too.

Keep in mind, the Webbs I was at was a franchise, so make sure the letter gets to the right people... I'm gonna see if I can figure out who it should actually go to.

AaronS

imported post

Fatch wrote:
Like I said, the money was already sitting on top of the check.. I had finished eating, too.

Keep in mind, the Webbs I was at was a franchise, so make sure the letter gets to the right people... I'm gonna see if I can figure out who it should actually go to.
Good point. Please let me know who the correct contact person is for this store.

icepik

imported post

Sorry to hear of your experience, but am not surprised when I read some of the similar stories from other businesses.

One thing you said in your post stands out to me greatly, "She then told me that it is not legal to carry a weapon in Wisconsin, that we have no carry laws."

That statement only enforces what I'm about to say.

Education is key.

It has been thought for too long that we cannot walk around with a gun.

Now, I'm not saying a long drawn out conversation/debate should have taken place after that statement. Being asked to leave is being asked to leave. We should not refuse to leave as we only will bring more trouble.

What needs to be done is education. Somehow, someway, the word needs to get out to the public, business owners, everyone, that open carry is legal.

Having others understand it will only help our cause.

Letters to the restaurant are important, but it is like the ordinances that I'm finding from small towns that restrict open carry. It's a one-by-one solution that could be never-ending. There has to be a bigger and easier solution here.

I believe I came across a brochure at one point, on here or somewhere else, that had information about open carry in Wisconsin. Anyone know where that is? That would be a helpful item for all of us to carry around some copies of, and leave with businesses or people who either don't understand OC, ask you to leave their business, or simply ask a lot of questions. If this brochure doesn't actually exist, and was merely a dream, I believe we need to develop one and make it available on here for download.

Just my 2cents...

Thanks.

Jason

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:

If I had placed my order, and started to eat, or was done eating, and was at that time asked to leave, I would comply 100%, and go, without paying. Hey, the service I ask for was not given, why should I pay. Makes me sad to know that Webbs will kick me out, but Mc Death is happy to see me...

I will be sending Webbs a nice letter. I like the place, and hate to think that I am not welcome any more...
Thanks for the info.
agreed, I would not have paid....I was ASKED to leave.

comp45acp

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
AaronS wrote:

If I had placed my order, and started to eat, or was done eating, and was at that time asked to leave, I would comply 100%, and go, without paying.  Hey, the service I ask for was not given, why should I pay.  Makes me sad to know that Webbs will kick me out, but Mc Death is happy to see me...

I will be sending Webbs a nice letter.  I like the place, and hate to think that I am not welcome any more...
Thanks for the info.
agreed, I would not have paid....I was ASKED  to leave.

Can't do that. If you have eaten your food you have to pay. If you don't they have a legitimate complaint. Education yes but with a firm letter to the person who holds the franchise telling them politely but firmly that you enjoy eating at their establishment but will not spend money anywhere where your rights are not honored. Let them know you will post on several websites so that others also know to avoid their restaurant. Tell them you can make their decision to ban lawfully carried sidearms work better than they ever imagined. You need to make them understand that they have a store manager or waitress making executive level decisions and that it is going to be costly to them in terms of lost business.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

icepik wrote:
I believe I came across a brochure at one point, on here or somewhere else, that had information about open carry in Wisconsin. Anyone know where that is? That would be a helpful item for all of us to carry around some copies of, and leave with businesses or people who either don't understand OC, ask you to leave their business, or simply ask a lot of questions. If this brochure doesn't actually exist, and was merely a dream, I believe we need to develop one and make it available on here for download.
This might not be the brochure that you saw before, but it's the one I made (taken from bnhcomputing's brochure), and I carry it with me whenever I OC. I carry it with me so if there is ever questions about carrying, I can give it to them to read.

icepik

imported post

logan wrote:
icepik wrote:
This might not be the brochure that you saw before, but it's the one I made (taken from bnhcomputing's brochure), and I carry it with me whenever I OC. I carry it with me so if there is ever questions about carrying, I can give it to them to read.
Yes, that was the brochure I remember seeing. Thank you for the link.

Thanks again.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I think I would have asked to speak to the manager before doing anything. Witresses do not make management decisions.

Since the waitress initially asked you to leave the firearm in your vehicle "Next Time," I would have stayed and waited for the manager and then filed a complaint against the waitress for harassing a customer while they are eating their meal.

We need to start standing our ground when we have the legal ability to do so.
Since she initially told you that you couldn't bring it in "Next Time," she would lose her argument that you were trespassing.

Seems to me she was the one being disorderly.

Fatch

imported post

gollbladder13 wrote:
Did you have a voice recorder running? It would be interesting to hear exactly how the waitress told you to leave...
Unfortunately, I did not. I was typing on the computer, and listening to my headphones at the time, so I didn't even think to turn it on.

She actually asked me to go put the gun in the car, not asked me to leave. However, she said that the owners made that call, so unless it was a bluff(perfectly possible), I'd assume that the actual franchise owners made that call.

7510 West Layton Avenue
Milwaukee WI 53220
414-281-9696

That's the actual address and phone number of the restaurant, for those who wanted it.

Also, thanks for that brochure, I'll be printing up a few copies to carry with me wherever I go.

M

McX

imported post

how rude! and that starts another rant fom me; one day it's ok, then the next it's not. and then some grunt comes up and kicks you out, not even the manager, or owner. you do nothing but patronize, and spend money, polite, and not a problem causer, and still find yourself out on the street!

lowdog

imported post

I would think if the owners "made the call" the owners would of came out and asked you to put it in the car or leave. Unless the owners were not there at that time. In which case the on duty manager would of taken care of a situation like this. I believe this was her own beliefs and her acting on her own.

protias

imported post

I have carried in the Sussex Webbs a number of times. I have never been asked to leave. One of the guys who worked there jokingly said we could take out back and shoot some cans with it. I smiled and told him that my pistol is only used at the range and for defensive purposes.

Cypher

imported post

Fatch wrote:
Sajuuk wrote:
The Cousin's Subs across the street at Layton Plaza allow carry. I eat there almost every weekend.
Good to know, maybe I should go there more often.
*giggle*
If you do, wouldn't it be funny to turn, look at George Webbs restaurant, smile & wave to them, then turn & walk into Cousin's?