• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So called "assault weapon" ban proposed for Wisconsin

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Nyaah, I'm happy right here and harassing the weak minded. I've ridden thousands of miles in Florida and y'all are welcome to it. It's like a jar of jam, put the lid on, it's full and sterile.

My longest unsupported ride was 1200 miles from Seabrook Island, SC to New Smyrna Beach, FL and back. I qualified as LCI in Florida.

thelongone13

imported post

What good will banning "assault weapons" do? ANY weapon can be classified as an assault weapon, and any assault weapon can be reclassified as a non-assault weapon. There's no point to this what so ever other than to annoy the crap out of us and take the coolest looking rifles out there (AR-15s) out of our hands. Assholes... And FTR, AR stands for ARMALITE RIFLE, NOT ASSAULT RIFLE. Politicians can be so stupid.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
What good will banning "assault weapons" do? ANY weapon can be classified as an assault weapon, and any assault weapon can be reclassified as a non-assault weapon. There's no point to this what so ever other than to annoy the crap out of us and take the coolest looking rifles out there (AR-15s) out of our hands. @#$%s... And FTR, AR stands for ARMALITE RIFLE, NOT ASSAULT RIFLE. Politicians can be so stupid.
yes they are.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Wow.........i have no idea what this thread is about. kinda looks like a page long word vomit.

and i'm sorry, but if i may voice my personal opinion.
Assault rifles are designed with a single purpose -- to kill human beings

1)ANY gun is essentially designed and made for KILLING. not just AR style guns.
2)GUNS (no matter what kind) DO NOT KILL PEOPLE. i have never in my life seen a gun of any shape or size just JUMP UP out of nowhere and just shoot somebody. if you take a gun and lay it on a table surrounded by people, it will lay there until it rusts and becomes inoperable WITHOUT EVER KILLING A SINGLE LIVING THING.
3)banning any guns is completely ignorant, because CRIMINALS DO NOT OBEY LAWS. so banning guns only makes people without equal measures into victims.

not to long ago i was reading an article in a gun magazine about a police department (can't remember where, i'll try to find the article) that was NOT ALLOWED to have AR style guns. guess what??? they where getting their azzes handed to them by the criminals.

banning guns of any kind, or imposing to many rules on any kind ONLY gives the criminals more power.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
I disagree with this statement.

None of the firearms I have were designed to "kill."

They are NOT weapons. A Weapon is somethingused to injure, defeat, or destroy. Although I can use my firearm as a weapon, that is NOT it's primary purpose.

My firearms were designed to send a projectile, in a certain direction, at a certain velocity, that is all. Firearms, just like bats or hammers can be used as weapons, and can be used to kill, but that is NOT be design, that is by use.

thelongone13

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
2)GUNS (no matter what kind) DO NOT KILL PEOPLE. i have never in my life seen a gun of any shape or size just JUMP UP out of nowhere and just shoot somebody. if you take a gun and lay it on a table surrounded by people, it will lay there until it rusts and becomes inoperable WITHOUT EVER KILLING A SINGLE LIVING THING.
This applies to EVERY firearm... Except the Jennings that went off and killed two people on its own. That, however, is evidence of why most of us don't own a Jennings and is a FREAK accident. Lawsuits should be brought against Jennings/Bryco.

opusd2

imported post

It is usually an "avid Hunter" and "gun Owner" who finds that assault guns are everywhere, I guess admitting it gives them the necessary experience with those dangerous guns we all hear about killing those busloads of kittens and baby dolphins on a daily basis.

Why is it that I don't run into as many automatic firearms as this guy does? I go to gun shows, have a lot of friends and family that own guns, but none of them have a cache of automatic puppy killers. Maybe I know all the wrong people. But at least his knowing those people makes his printed letter that much more important than my simple (yet sarcastic) response.

And I have to agree that seeing police with ARs is rather comical and just so darn cute!

I'm willing to invade Florida! Maybe we can do a black ops mission and remove all the bulbs from the left turn signals, that will mess them up when they reach Door County.

scorpio_vette

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
I disagree with this statement. 

None of the firearms I have were designed to "kill." 

They are NOT weapons.  A Weapon is something used to injure, defeat, or destroy.  Although I can use my firearm as a weapon, that is NOT it's primary purpose.

My firearms were designed to send a projectile, in a certain direction, at a certain velocity, that is all.  Firearms, just like bats or hammers can be used as weapons, and can be used to kill, but that is NOT be design, that is by use.

you're right. that maybe have been a poor choice of words. when i typed it i pretty much had a "hunting image" and a "self defense" image in my head. i'm not trying to say i'm right, but wouldn't that have been the intent of the first firearms ever made??? shooting clay pigeons came after the fact right???

i didn't mean it as "killing" in a bad sense. but i can see how antis would take it that way. yes your wording does sound alot nicer. after all, some people actually do buy guns for nothing more than poking holes in paper. my father in law is one of those. all his life, he's never done anything but poke holes in paper targets. LOL

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am a hunter, I use firearms to hunt, and in that scenario it is a weapon used to kill.

But to address your issue, NO, I don't believe even the first firearms were designed to kill. I would say that somebody said we need a way to get a projectile, of a certain size, to go a certain distance and have a certain velocity.

Now the dude who said, "go build me one of those..." may very well have had killing on his mind, but in the end, the inventor was simply solving a physics problem, how to get a projectile of a certain size, to go in a specific direction at a certain velocity.

No politically correct crap or anything like that, just reminding people of what we tend to forget.

scorpio_vette

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
I am a hunter, I use firearms to hunt, and in that scenario it is a weapon used to kill.

But to address your issue, NO, I don't believe even the first firearms were designed to kill.  I would say that somebody said we need a way to get a projectile, of a certain size, to go a certain distance and have a certain velocity.

Now the dude who said, "go build me one of those..." may very well have had killing on his mind, but in the end, the inventor was simply solving a physics problem, how to get a projectile of a certain size, to go in a specific direction at a certain velocity.

No politically correct crap or anything like that, just reminding people of what we tend to forget.

wow......fair enough. can't argue with that. i'll remember that explanation. LOL

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just because they didn't know they were solving a physics problem, doesn't make the statement any less factual.

--- AND ---

Even though the first use may have been as a weapon, the inventor knew he/she needed to get a certain number of projectiles to go a certain distance in a certain direction at a certain velocity. Nothing posted here disputes that claim.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Same as the one that taught them to drive from the middle, called "stylin' and profilin' " in the South.

One of my favorite Chief Test Engineers (that would be a GM-14/GS-13 for G-LOC K34) had a great understanding of his neighbors out in Round O, SC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_O,_South_Carolina He said that they do it just to perplex white folks. Well, really "PO" the white folks.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ God damn the Obamination

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Many years ago, a friend owned an old post office pick-up truck - looked stock at first glance.........it was right hand drive. Was fun for the passenger to cover their eyes or duck down in the seat when going through an intersection.

Returned to reg. sched. program.

Yata hey