• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grafton Meeting - Jan 12, 2010 6pm

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

AaronS wrote:
So now you understand what I am saying when I tell you that I am a poor public speaker. I guess some are just good at it, and then there is me....
You underestimate yourself, Aaron; this summer you gave a very professional TV interview for our trash pickup crew. You responded with clarity and depth to the interviewer's questions in a clear, strong voice. You can obviously think on your feet and express your thoughts. If public speaking throws you off, there are some strategies that will help:
  1. Have some prepared notes in front of you
  2. Practice in front of friends and family
  3. Imagine that the audience is sitting there in their underwear... :monkey

Thanks for your efforts.

Dave

icepik

imported post

AaronS wrote:
So now you understand what I am saying when I tell you that I am a poor public speaker. I guess some are just good at it, and then there is me...

Well I guess the board might not have had time to read up on the state of our gun laws (I have to try to give them a chance). It was nice to see that the police understand the issue. So next month we might see a draft of this new law. Hope it goes that fast.

I am starting to get a bad taste for board members... When I see that the people will not even take the hour or so of reading before a vote on any given law, I guess it makes me throw up a little in my mouth... It just looks more and more to me that most board members just listen to the police or lawyer, and do what they are told...

I guess we get what we pay for...
You did fine there. It's not your fault that the board doesn't understand the laws.

Trust me on this, I've been to more public meetings in different communities to know that the board members are typically un-educated about the current topics they discuss, unless it's something that personally interests them.

Yes, they very much look to the "powers that be" for guidance. (City Attorney, LEO's, Etc...)

This particular issue is almost beyond this board. They are there to make sure for the safety of the village so to speak. Take note of the bike race they were talking about, or later in the agenda...speaking about the LED stop lights that get covered in snow. Those are the issues this board is concerned with. Not something of this caliber, no pun intended.

To make my point even clearer, this is not even an issue they can "approve". They can only "approve" the wording of the new ordinance and then forward it on to the village board who then votes to put it in place. The safety board is there to handle these "little" issues so the village board doesn't get bogged down.

Yes, you get what you pay for, which isn't very much where these boards are considered. Very little pay, very little patience or understanding. Again, unless it's a personal issue near and dear to one of their hearts, they care, but not enough to spend personal time learning about it.

I've seen plenty of board members elsewhere let personal beliefs, personal issues, and other ridiculous things come in the way of bettering the community. That's a story for another forum, lol

I'm fairly confident that this will be presented at the next meeting. It needs to be actually, following proper meeting rules. The city attorney will get it done, and present it as he was asked. If the board "approves" it, is another story. That's why next months meeting is almost more important than this one.

Then of course the village board meeting where they will approve it is the most important. They don't deal with the little details, how to word this ordinance, etc... from the beginning, but if the amended ordinance gets to them, and they don't like it, they can either vote to deny the change, or make changes of their own.

We'll see how that goes...

I'll follow up with the chief and attorney in the next week or so and see how things are coming along.

Now on to preparing for Saukville's meeting tomorrow night.

Maybe I'll see you there perhaps?

Again, you did fine. (And don't worry, I wouldn't want to have pictured any of those board members in their underwear either) :uhoh::shock:

Jason

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

AaronS wrote:
I feel that I am a very poor public speaker.
we all were at one point - its gets better the more you do it - keep it short simple, no more than 3 points - state up front what you want, explain whay that's a good idea for them to do - theen rstate what you want at teh end and ask for nyone i ntheaudience who basically agrees with you to stad - then sti down - 2-3 minutes max - its the council's show, you are just the bit performer for the night!

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Mike wrote:
AaronS wrote:
I feel that I am a very poor public speaker.
we all were at one point - its gets better the more you do it - keep it short simple, no more than 3 points - state up front what you want, explain whay that's a good idea for them to do - theen rstate what you want at teh end and ask for nyone i ntheaudience who basically agrees with you to stad - then sti down - 2-3 minutes max - its the council's show, you are just the bit performer for the night!
Phone post?

AaronS

imported post

Well it has been a long time, so I am starting back up on the "change your old law" thing again.

So I went to the Grafton web site and saw that is was not updated yet, and sent out a letter. I got the responce in about 1 hour.

Good Afternoon Mr. Sky:

Yes, the ordinance has been amended appropriately. The online reference has not been updated yet.

Item 3 / Report of the Public Safety Committee

Motion by Trustee Grant, seconded by Trustee Meinecke, to approve Ordinance No. 008, Series 2010 approving the amendment regarding the discharge and carry of firearms, as presented.

http://www.village.grafton.wi.us/archives/31/03-01-10%20Minutes.pdf]http://www.village.grafton.wi.us/archives/31/03-01-10%20Minutes.pdf[/url]

Thank you for your time and concern in bringing this to my attention.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Wenten

Chief of Police

Village of Grafton Police Department

Check out our new website: www.QualityLifeGrafton.com

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

great, next time I am in Grafton I will have to bring the Glock. The Lime Kiln Park is awesome,located right on the milwaukee river. Cedarburg is a nice little town too, lot's of shops & a really nice winery.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I carried down mainstreet in Grafton a couple weeks ago without a hassle after picking up a new holster from A1 Firearms on 12th Ave. Really nice people at that shop, turns out one of the owner's was a year behind me at Grafton High School.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Brendon .45 wrote:
I carried down mainstreet in Grafton a couple weeks ago without a hassle after picking up a new holster from A1 Firearms on 12th Ave. Really nice people at that shop, turns out one of the owner's was a year behind me at Grafton High School.
That's funny, my mom Graduated from Grafton High back in 1961. When my Grandmother lived in Grafton she lived a few house away from the corner of 6th ave & Spring street. I spent many Fourth of July's at , Grafton veteran memorial Park ( on 13th ave & Hwy 60 ). Fun little town Grafton is. Best Fireworks display around, Bartolotta Fireworks company does their show.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
That's funny, my mom Graduated from Grafton High back in 1961. When my Grandmother lived in Grafton she lived a few house away from the corner of 6th ave & Spring street. I spent many Fourth of July's at , Grafton veteran memorial Park ( on 13th ave & Hwy 60 ). Fun little town Grafton is. Best Fireworks display around, Bartolotta Fireworks company does their show.

The Jaycees don't handle the 4th celebration anymore and it has gone downhill since the villagetook over a couple years ago.

I had some issues with the Grafton Gestapo back in the early 90's that were firearms related. Improper transport stuff, and they let it go!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Brendon .45 wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

The Jaycees don't handle the 4th celebration anymore and it has gone downhill since the villagetook over a couple years ago.

I had some issues with the Grafton Gestapo back in the early 90's that were firearms related. Improper transport stuff, and they let it go!
oh, that's stinks, it's been about 10 years since I have been there on the 4th. I started spending my 4th of julys there starting in 1977 - 89, they had a PARTY at that park. The Brittons played there ( a beatles cover band ) big mistake not having the JayCees handle the celebration. I never lived there , just stayed with my Grandmother every summer for a week.

icepik

imported post

AaronS wrote
Good Afternoon Mr. Sky:

Yes, the ordinance has been amended appropriately. The online reference has not been updated yet.

Item 3 / Report of the Public Safety Committee

Motion by Trustee Grant, seconded by Trustee Meinecke, to approve Ordinance No. 008, Series 2010 approving the amendment regarding the discharge and carry of firearms, as presented.

]http://www.village.grafton.wi.us/archives/31/03-01-10%20Minutes.pdf]http://www.village.grafton.wi.us/archives/31/03-01-10%20Minutes.pdf[/url]

Thank you for your time and concern in bringing this to my attention.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Wenten

Chief of Police

Village of Grafton Police Department

Check out our new website: http://www.QualityLifeGrafton.com
The link doesn't work, and the meeting minutes are not listed on the website, but with a little clean up of the link, you can view the minutes...interesting.

My question is this...have you gotten a final copy of the exact wording of the new ordinance? I'd like to see that if you have it. If not, I'll request the chief to send me a copy of it.

Thanks!

Jay