Thread: LOC

Post imported post

Well i understand you are able to openly carry a loaded firearm in unincorporated areas.

What is the definition of unincorporated? Does it mean outside city limits?

Post imported post

My understanding is...

Loaded Open Carry (LOC) in unincorporated areas is legal only where the possession/discharge of a firearm is not prohibited by county statute.

Code:
    12031.  (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
    he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
    vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
    incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
    prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

(f) As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place
    where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.
    Yes, "unincorporated" means an area of a county that is outside city limits.

Post imported post

Correct.

Post imported post

If it's not within city limits, and the county has not banned shooting there, then it's legal to open carry loaded.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

Sionadi wrote:
    Well i understand you are able to openly carry a loaded firearm in unincorporated areas.

What is the definition of unincorporated? Does it mean outside city limits?
    Take note of wewd's comment on county restrictions on shooting. That isn't trivial and they aren't always easy to identify. Some county websites will list them.

Post imported post

And never forget the omnipresent threat of stepping into the infamous "GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONES".

Do not under any circumstances step within 1,000 feet of K-12 School property while Open Carrying.

State Researcher

Post imported post

onedavetoomany wrote:
    There are some places that are outside of city limits that are "incorporated." I have no idea how to figure out where these places are... so just be careful. When in doubt don't risk it.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    onedavetoomany wrote:
    There are some places that are outside of city limits that are "incorporated." I have no idea how to figure out where these places are... so just be careful. When in doubt don't risk it.

there is no such thing. There is only incorporated cities, and unincorporated territory. It is either one or the other. Look at the actual language of 12031.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    there is no such thing. There is only incorporated cities, and unincorporated territory. It is either one or the other. Look at the actual language of 12031.
    12031 addresses where it is legal to open carry, not the minutia of zoning. However, I'm open to any citations you may have that can convince me I'm wrong.

I am personally aware of and familiar with an area that is outside of the city limits of Sacramento, yet is serviced by the city workers, including Sacramento PD. (I guess I should qualify this with the fact that this was several years ago...so maybe the city limits were moved to include this area.)

I've also heard people on this forum reference a city (can't recall the name right now) that includes many square miles of rural countryside.

My point is simply to not assume that you're safe to LOC outside of the city limit signs, as you may still be in an incorporated area.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Decoligny wrote:
    12031 addresses where it is legal to open carry, not the minutia of zoning. However, I'm open to any citations you may have that can convince me I'm wrong.

I am personally aware of and familiar with an area that is outside of the city limits of Sacramento, yet is serviced by the city workers, including Sacramento PD. (I guess I should qualify this with the fact that this was several years ago...so maybe the city limits were moved to include this area.)

I've also heard people on this forum reference a city (can't recall the name right now) that includes many square miles of rural countryside.

My point is simply to not assume that you're safe to LOC outside of the city limit signs, as you may still be in an incorporated area.
    12031 uses the term "incorporated city". I have no idea what an incorporated part of a county would be if not a city, but it wouldn't be an "incorporated city". Perhaps you are thinking of "a prohibited area of unincorporated territory"? For most counties you can search for either a map or a complicated description of which areas of the county have discharge prohibitions. Also keep in mind the interpretation of prohibited area that includes being within a certain distance of any public road or inhabited dwelling.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Decoligny wrote:

I live in an un-incorporated part of San Diego County, my zip code is a Vista zip code, so I have Vista address.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Decoligny wrote:

Your confusing the boonies with unincorporated territory. Like Deco said, it's either incorporated property or it is not. As you alluded, California City, CA - the largest city in the state in physical size, but with a very small population.

It is also possible for the resources of a city to work beyond the limits of their physical city.

Good warning....don't think; know.

Post imported post

Thanks for all the help. I looked around on some google searches and couldnt find any maps showing the unincorporated/incorporated areas. I'll keep looking though.

Post imported post

I've used Delorme map programs on my computers for years and noticed that some areas are shaded andsome aren't. It appears that the shaded areas are cities and the light areas are unincorporated areas of the county.

I tried this on Yahoo maps:

http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php?ard=...=Vista%2C%20CA

The shaded areas are incorporated areas (cities,military bases, national forests,etc.) the light areas between them are probably unincorporated areas.

Post imported post

Theres nothing shaded for where im located (and for 80 miles around me)

Post imported post

How about slightly different colors?

Post imported post

Just the indian reservation and a little in a couple towns.

If you want, type Laytonville into the search bar. Thats what im looking at.

Post imported post

Sionadi wrote:
    Just the indian reservation and a little in a couple towns.

If you want, type Laytonville into the search bar. Thats what im looking at.
    hmmmm I see some weed growing just east of town. And there is some north, south and west of town too.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Post imported post

I know it, they just had a 4,000 plant bust 40 yards off my property line (my neighbor and i went in and bull dozed it)

And about 4 months ago a 14,000 plant garden was busted a few hundred yards off my property.

Lord i cant wait till they legalize pot, get all these idiots out of the woods.

Post imported post

I tried Laytonville on MapQuest and if you zoom out, you can see a lot of light area east of there along I-5.