• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LOC

Sionadi

imported post

Well i understand you are able to openly carry a loaded firearm in unincorporated areas.

What is the definition of unincorporated? Does it mean outside city limits?

onedavetoomany

imported post

My understanding is...

Loaded Open Carry (LOC) in unincorporated areas is legal only where the possession/discharge of a firearm is not prohibited by county statute.

Code:
12031.  (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

(f) As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place
where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.

Yes, "unincorporated" means an area of a county that is outside city limits.

wewd

imported post

If it's not within city limits, and the county has not banned shooting there, then it's legal to open carry loaded.

inbox485

imported post

Sionadi wrote:
Well i understand you are able to openly carry a loaded firearm in unincorporated areas.

What is the definition of unincorporated? Does it mean outside city limits?

Take note of wewd's comment on county restrictions on shooting. That isn't trivial and they aren't always easy to identify. Some county websites will list them.

Decoligny

imported post

And never forget the omnipresent threat of stepping into the infamous "GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONES".

Do not under any circumstances step within 1,000 feet of K-12 School property while Open Carrying.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

onedavetoomany wrote:
There are some places that are outside of city limits that are "incorporated." I have no idea how to figure out where these places are... so just be careful. When in doubt don't risk it.

Decoligny

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:
There are some places that are outside of city limits that are "incorporated." I have no idea how to figure out where these places are... so just be careful. When in doubt don't risk it.

there is no such thing. There is only incorporated cities, and unincorporated territory. It is either one or the other. Look at the actual language of 12031.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
there is no such thing. There is only incorporated cities, and unincorporated territory. It is either one or the other. Look at the actual language of 12031.
12031 addresses where it is legal to open carry, not the minutia of zoning. However, I'm open to any citations you may have that can convince me I'm wrong.

I am personally aware of and familiar with an area that is outside of the city limits of Sacramento, yet is serviced by the city workers, including Sacramento PD. (I guess I should qualify this with the fact that this was several years ago...so maybe the city limits were moved to include this area.)

I've also heard people on this forum reference a city (can't recall the name right now) that includes many square miles of rural countryside.

My point is simply to not assume that you're safe to LOC outside of the city limit signs, as you may still be in an incorporated area.

inbox485

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
12031 addresses where it is legal to open carry, not the minutia of zoning. However, I'm open to any citations you may have that can convince me I'm wrong.

I am personally aware of and familiar with an area that is outside of the city limits of Sacramento, yet is serviced by the city workers, including Sacramento PD. (I guess I should qualify this with the fact that this was several years ago...so maybe the city limits were moved to include this area.)

I've also heard people on this forum reference a city (can't recall the name right now) that includes many square miles of rural countryside.

My point is simply to not assume that you're safe to LOC outside of the city limit signs, as you may still be in an incorporated area.

12031 uses the term "incorporated city". I have no idea what an incorporated part of a county would be if not a city, but it wouldn't be an "incorporated city". Perhaps you are thinking of "a prohibited area of unincorporated territory"? For most counties you can search for either a map or a complicated description of which areas of the county have discharge prohibitions. Also keep in mind the interpretation of prohibited area that includes being within a certain distance of any public road or inhabited dwelling.

yelohamr

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Decoligny wrote:

I live in an un-incorporated part of San Diego County, my zip code is a Vista zip code, so I have Vista address.

mjones

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Decoligny wrote:

Your confusing the boonies with unincorporated territory. Like Deco said, it's either incorporated property or it is not. As you alluded, California City, CA - the largest city in the state in physical size, but with a very small population.

It is also possible for the resources of a city to work beyond the limits of their physical city.

Good warning....don't think; know.

Sionadi

imported post

Thanks for all the help. I looked around on some google searches and couldnt find any maps showing the unincorporated/incorporated areas. I'll keep looking though.

yelohamr

imported post

I've used Delorme map programs on my computers for years and noticed that some areas are shaded andsome aren't. It appears that the shaded areas are cities and the light areas are unincorporated areas of the county.

I tried this on Yahoo maps:

http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php?ard=1&q1=Vista%2C+CA&q2=#mvt=m&lat=33.792959&lon=-117.434462&zoom=9&q1=Vista%2C%20CA

The shaded areas are incorporated areas (cities,military bases, national forests,etc.) the light areas between them are probably unincorporated areas.

Gundude

imported post

Sionadi wrote:
Just the indian reservation and a little in a couple towns.

If you want, type Laytonville into the search bar. Thats what im looking at.
hmmmm I see some weed growing just east of town. And there is some north, south and west of town too.

Sionadi

imported post

I know it, they just had a 4,000 plant bust 40 yards off my property line (my neighbor and i went in and bull dozed it)

And about 4 months ago a 14,000 plant garden was busted a few hundred yards off my property.

Lord i cant wait till they legalize pot, get all these idiots out of the woods.