Thread: Trip to the Smokies

Post imported post

I'm thinking about taking the family on a trip to Gatlinburg after X-mas some time and was wondering if I am legal to bring my sidearm with me?

I am not a ccdw holder as in my state of Kentucky we have the right to open carry. I know that in Tennessee it is a privlege to carry but what about having my protection locked in my trunk while driving about and having it in my room when I'm not out and about?
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

Post imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    I'm thinking about taking the family on a trip to Gatlinburg after X-mas some time and was wondering if I am legal to bring my sidearm with me?

I am not a ccdw holder as in my state of Kentucky we have the right to open carry. I know that in Tennessee it is a privlege to carry but what about having my protection locked in my trunk while driving about and having it in my room when I'm not out and about?
    Best advice is to call the THP in Nashville and make sure at (866) 849-3548

Post imported post

Tennessee is a licensed open carry state. Sinceyou don't have a license, you can't OC there.

http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

Post imported post

Remember free legal advice is about worth what you pay for it but...

You should be fine in your room, it is your temporary residence.

In the car the weapon and ammunition should not be stored together and the ammuntion not in the immediate vicinty of you.

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon.

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1) Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon
    From 39-17-1301

"Unloaded” means the rifle, shotgun or handgun does not have ammunition in the chamber, cylinder, clip or magazine, and no clip or magazine is in the immediate vicinity of the weapon.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Thanx a million that's what I was looking for.
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

Post imported post

While I love KY'c constitutionlly protected open carry rights, I will suggest you get a KY carry permit.

It will save you the hassle of having to arm/disarm when entering/exiting a vehicle (less you mess with a holstered handgun the less chances of a ND). [You have got to love KY's glove box law, though].

On top of the everyday convienience, KY's permit is honored by TN and IN (both states are licensed open carry states).

Post imported post

I refuse to beg permission from the so called gov't to exercise my God given Right to protect my self and my family.