• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip to the Smokies

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

I'm thinking about taking the family on a trip to Gatlinburg after X-mas some time and was wondering if I am legal to bring my sidearm with me?

I am not a ccdw holder as in my state of Kentucky we have the right to open carry. I know that in Tennessee it is a privlege to carry but what about having my protection locked in my trunk while driving about and having it in my room when I'm not out and about?

suntzu

imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
I'm thinking about taking the family on a trip to Gatlinburg after X-mas some time and was wondering if I am legal to bring my sidearm with me?

I am not a ccdw holder as in my state of Kentucky we have the right to open carry. I know that in Tennessee it is a privlege to carry but what about having my protection locked in my trunk while driving about and having it in my room when I'm not out and about?
Best advice is to call the THP in Nashville and make sure at (866) 849-3548

Fallguy

imported post

Remember free legal advice is about worth what you pay for it but...

You should be fine in your room, it is your temporary residence.

In the car the weapon and ammunition should not be stored together and the ammuntion not in the immediate vicinty of you.

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon.

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1) Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon
From 39-17-1301

"Unloaded” means the rifle, shotgun or handgun does not have ammunition in the chamber, cylinder, clip or magazine, and no clip or magazine is in the immediate vicinity of the weapon.

WCrawford

imported post

While I love KY'c constitutionlly protected open carry rights, I will suggest you get a KY carry permit.

It will save you the hassle of having to arm/disarm when entering/exiting a vehicle (less you mess with a holstered handgun the less chances of a ND). [You have got to love KY's glove box law, though].

On top of the everyday convienience, KY's permit is honored by TN and IN (both states are licensed open carry states).