• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mercury News: 74-year-old San Jose, CA man arrested for carrying firearm near school

opencarrybilly

imported post

1894cfan wrote:
Sorry, guys, I think incorporating is a really big mistake!

What you are doing falls outside of the Constitution.

As I've said in another posting, it all falls onto the 14th amendment and what definition of "person" you're looking at.

But then again, it might all be a rather moot point soon! Then EVERYBODY just might startcarrying LOC!!!!And I for one am NOT looking forward to it. :uhoh::shock:
I would like to know more.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

cato wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
Many laws have been shot down by "criminal defendants". I like that you fight the fight but don't discourage others from fighting the way they want to.

Sometimes, but it is a nail bitter. Usually criminal defendants have broken the law as itstands, but because of 4th A. evidence discovery, false detention/search issues they go free swinging on the poisonous fruitvine. CA is not yet a good battlefield for OC activists. But the time is coming sooner then later.

I do discourage,but with a heavy heartas I was here with the 1st UOCers.

But I hope I don't disparage as I really want individuals to see the risk/benefits comparison is notin our favor (yet)and that post Heller / pre McDonald/Sykes UOC could be a liability for our cause and potentially disastrous for good law-abiding individuals when faced with our misguided heartless vindictiveCA legislative and legal enemies.

Ido wantOC to contribute positively to Rights restoration in CA. But doing so means crossing many minefields.All I'm asking for is to let the mine detecting engineers (the RKBA legal coalition)go first.

Don't get me wrong I am not encouraging folks to break the law....and they should OC more with more knowledge. I still feel OC or UOC'ing in Cal. is not going to hurt the cause if you are doing it within the boundaries of the law.

You are right it is a minefeild the legal system is broken. But all judges to my knowledge including those in California take oaths to uphold the constitution of U.S. seems like many (like our politicians too) have forgotten this and get caught up in legal semantics.

M

McX

imported post

i swear, i hear about another fine upstanding citizen putting the heat on an Open Carrier........yep, them old men are a real threat to society!

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

cato wrote:
It was a CA' OCDO member who contacted the media which resulted in this arrest (yes I knowit is not his fault but our actions can effect others).
this should require some further explanation. Did a fellow OCer call the police? Why would the OCer call the media to begin with? Was Fontana only detained, informed, then released afterwards?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
in the interest of the justice system, someone charged with carrying a gun, unknowingly within 1000 feet of a school (in California at least) is no different from someone demanding money from a bank at gun point unknowing that it is illegal. Everyone SHOULD know it is illegal to rob a bank with any means but that is besides the point.

I am in full disagreement with your statement.

Nowhere in the constitution does it say we have a right to rob a bank, But it does state that our right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed!

M

McX

imported post

nutzak?! i'll be damned, your still alive ol buddy? good to hear from you. anyway, we gotta put an end to this school zone crap. gettin so a body can't move about freely out there. talk about being infringed!

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Sorry, guys, I think incorporating is a really big mistake!

What you are doing falls outside of the Constitution.

The 14th amendment is part of the Constitution. 3/4th of the state legislatures agreed that the rights referred to in the bill of rights should be applied to the states. Does not follow the original intent as to anly a limit on federal powers alone, but the 14A was brought about through the proper amendment process and is here to stay awhile. We can always repeal it.

Decoligny

imported post

Blkwdw86 wrote:
I have to agree with Fontana on this one. The only practical way to challenge an unconstitutional federal law is to be prosecuted and appeal to the Supreme Court. The federal "gun free school zone" law is blatantly unconstitutional (it violates the tenth and second amendments, the interstate commerce clause application used to justify it is too weak, vague,and indirect to support it), as are nearly all federal gun laws. Granted, Fontana was either ignorant of the law, or unaware of his distance from a school, and certainly didn't set out to snub the gestapo, but he still finds himself in this unfortunate circumstance for no good reason. The intent of Congress when passing this illegal piece of legislation was to increase punishment for people intent on schoolyard violence, not prosecuting inattentive old men taking a walk.

Fontana needs and deserves our support. US v Fontana may become a landmark case in our favor, you never know.

Who said he is being prosecuted in Federal Court?

He was arrested for violating CA Penal Code 626.9,California's very ownGun Free School Zone Act. Because the 2A hasn't yet been incorporated to state and local governments, this law cannot currently be argued before the court to be "unconstitutional".

Theseus was charged and recently convicted for violating this very same law, PC 626.9, and is currently awaiting appeal.

Decoligny

imported post

Mike wrote:
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14020859?nclick_check=1

SNIP

74-year-old San Jose man arrested for carrying firearm near school

By Lisa Fernandez
Posted:12/17/2009 05:38:44 PM PST
Updated:12/17/2009 05:38:45 PM PST

After his brothers watched a newscast about the national movement to carry guns in public, they told Sherman "Tony" Fontano he could do that himself. Two San Jose police officers also said it would be OK.

So this week, Fontano, 74, put his unloaded .357 Magnum into his waistband and took a walk with his girlfriend.

But he was soon surrounded by police who had their own guns drawn. Unfortunately, nobody had mentioned it is against the law in California to walk with a firearm near your neighborhood school.

"I just can't see what I did wrong,'' Fontano told the Mercury News on Thursday. "I'm not a member of anything. I'm not political. I just wish the cops would have told me not to carry it near a school. This was all a total mistake.''

Fontano was arrested Monday after he and his girlfriend took a shortcut through a field at Allen at Steinbeck School. A parent spotted the gun-toting retiree and called police.

Sherman "Tony" Fontano with his dog, 'Magnum', at his San Jose home Thursday... ( Patrick Tehan )
Fontano finds himself caught up in a national controversy known as the "Open Carry Movement,'' whose supporters have been trying to convince the public that carrying a pistol in public is as normal as carrying a pen.

John Pierce, one of the co-founders of http://www.opencarry.org, said the law used to arrest Fontano is one of many arbitrary statutes that violate the constitutional right to bear arms. . . .

This right here is a perfect example why you NEVER get legal advice from a police officer. They are not experts on the law, and what they give is OPINION ONLY.

Do your own research.

Know what thelaw says.

Know what the case law says.

yelohamr

imported post

cato wrote:
It was a CA' OCDO member who contacted the media which resulted in this arrest (yes I knowit is not his fault but our actions can effect others). I'll bet this won't be the last arrest either.

cato, how do you know this? Was it you?

It's bad enough that the ground squirrel in my yard is a CGN informant but a CA OCDO traitorous SOB is more than we should have put up with.

Edit: Instead of ratting him out, why didn't the scumbag informant give him a pamphlet and school him onUOC?

Decoligny

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
cato wrote:
It was a CA' OCDO member who contacted the media which resulted in this arrest (yes I knowit is not his fault but our actions can effect others). I'll bet this won't be the last arrest either.

It's bad enough that the ground squirrel in my yard is a CGN informant but a CA OCDO traitorous SOB is more than we should have put up with.

Edit: Instead of ratting him out, why didn't the scumbag informant give him a pamphlet and school him onUOC?

I think what Cato was trying to say is this:

1. A CA OCDO member contacted the media to do a story on UOC.

2. The story ran on TV and lots of people saw it, including the 74 year old gentleman's brothers.

3. They told the man that UOC was legal.

4. He UOCed without proper research and going only on the opinion of 2 LEOs.

5. A parent of one of the school children saw a MWAG on School property and called the cops.

6. UOCer was arrested.

So, it was a CA OCDO member who contacted the MEDIA, which had the end result of this man being arrested.

That being said, there is no "traitorous SOB", just an unfortunate series of events.

joseprissa

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
....not a reason to stand down OC a reason to fight to get these stupid laws struck donw.
This is True its the one barrier thats got us by the neck. We cant open carry without having fear of going into a school zone.

yelohamr

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
I think what Cato was trying to say is this:

1. A CA OCDO member contacted the media to do a story on UOC.

2. The story ran on TV and lots of people saw it, including the 74 year old gentleman's brothers.

3. They told the man that UOC was legal.

4. He UOCed without proper research and going only on the opinion of 2 LEOs.

5. A parent of one of the school children saw a MWAG on School property and called the cops.

6. UOCer was arrested.

So, it was a CA OCDO member who contacted the MEDIA, which had the end result of this man being arrested.

That being said, there is no "traitorous SOB", just an unfortunate series of events.
He should of said what he meant...well maybe he did.

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

yelohamr wrote:
cato wrote:
Snip... 
It was a CA' OCDO member who contacted the media which resulted in this arrest (yes I know it is not his fault but our actions can effect others).  I'll bet this won't be the last arrest either. 

cato, how do you know this?  Was it  you?

Cato is referring to me. I was interviewed for a story on open carry by a local news agency that has a large audience in northern CA, (including some other states through affiliation).

I weighed the options and thought it was still a good idea to let the TV watching masses know that UOC in CA was legal. It has drummed up a lot of interest in the bay area. Many more people are now looking at UOC as an option for selfdefense. These same people will be needed to fight bad laws in the future.

I also accepted that there would be a handful of people arrested for UOC shortly after it aired. I expected young enthusiastic people to over look a minor detail and get popped for it.

I stand by my decision to talk to the media about Open Carry.

I believe the reason I get a nod or wave from local LEOs now is because of UOCing daily, meet ups, educational material, and the media.

Rusty

imported post

Bad_Ace,

You did a good job with that interview. It is important to get this information out there. If someone decides to not take the most basic steps before walking around with a firearm strapped to their hip, they are going to end up in this guys situation.

I do hope the DA takes pity on this poor fool, but he is a fool.

apjonas

imported post

There is a difference between

1. Ignorance/Mistake of the law. (I did not know it isillegal to carry in a school zone).

2. Ignorance/Mistake of fact. (I did not know I was in a school zone).

3. Senility (I don't know who I am.);)

Defending yourself under 2 is always better than 1. This poor old guy talks too much. There is no reason that an attorney cannot argue in good faith that the 2nd Amendment applies to the states (via the 14th).

yelohamr

imported post

bad_ace wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
cato wrote:

Cato is referring to me. I was interviewed for a story on open carry by a local news agency that has a large audience in northern CA, (including some other states through affiliation).

I weighed the options and thought it was still a good idea to let the TV watching masses know that UOC in CA was legal. It has drummed up a lot of interest in the bay area. Many more people are now looking at UOC as an option for selfdefense. These same people will be needed to fight bad laws in the future.

I also accepted that there would be a handful of people arrested for UOC shortly after it aired. I expected young enthusiastic people to over look a minor detail and get popped for it.

I stand by my decision to talk to the media about Open Carry.

I believe the reason I get a nod or wave from local LEOs now is because of UOCing daily, meet ups, educational material, and the media.
Thank you, I stand corrected.

Rusty

imported post

I don't know if it is just us voting but the poll question is:

Should Californians be able to carry an unloaded gun near a school?

73% say yes (127 votes)
27% say no (47 votes)

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Rusty wrote:
I don't know if it is just us voting but the poll question is:

Should Californians be able to carry an unloaded gun near a school?

73% say yes (127 votes)
27% say no (47 votes)
The poll is also posted over on CalGuns. That's how I learned about it.