• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something everyone might want to read

swatspyder

imported post

This is the 2006 FBI study done on felonious violence against LEOs.
If you easily want to download the .pdf file to your computer, right click on the link and click "Save Link As..."
[align=left] Violent Encounters - A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers (2006).pdf[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]This lower part has been posted before, but I'm sure that no one has read the above full study.
[/align][align=left]There is a shorter summary of the full document: http://www.forcescience.org/fsinews/2006/12/new-findings-from-fbi-about-cop-attackers-their-weapons/[/align]
New findings on how offenders train with, carry and deploy the weapons they use to attack police officers have emerged in a just-published, 5-year study by the FBI.
Among other things, the data reveal that most would-be cop killers:
–show signs of being armed that officers miss;
–have more experience using deadly force in “street combat” than their intended victims;
–practice with firearms more often and shoot more accurately;
–have no hesitation whatsoever about pulling the trigger. “If you hesitate,” one told the study’s researchers, “you’re dead. You have the instinct or you don’t. If you don’t, you’re in trouble on the street….”
Predominately handguns were used in the assaults on officers and all but one were obtained illegally, usually in street transactions or in thefts.

Nearly 40% of the offenders had some type of formal firearms training, primarily from the military. More than 80% “regularly practiced with handguns, averaging 23 practice sessions a year,” the study reports, usually in informal settings like trash dumps, rural woods, back yards and “street corners in known drug-trafficking areas.”

One spoke of being motivated to improve his gun skills by his belief that officers “go to the range two, three times a week [and] practice arms so they can hit anything.”

In reality, victim officers in the study averaged just 14 hours of sidearm training and 2.5 qualifications per year. Only 6 of the 50 officers reported practicing regularly with handguns apart from what their department required, and that was mostly in competitive shooting. Overall, the offenders practiced more often than the officers they assaulted, and this “may have helped increase [their] marksmanship skills,” the study says.
The offenders said they most often hid guns on their person in the front waistband, with the groin area and the small of the back nearly tied for second place. Some occasionally gave their weapons to another person to carry, “most often a female companion.” None regularly used a holster, and about 40% at least sometimes carried a backup weapon.
“They practice getting the gun out and using it,” Davis explained. “They shoot for effect.” Or as one of the offenders put it: “[W]e’re not working with no marksmanship….We just putting it in your direction, you know….It don’t matter…as long as it’s gonna hit you…if it’s up at your head or your chest, down at your legs, whatever….Once I squeeze and you fall, then…if I want to execute you, then I could go from there.”

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had seen a one page synopsis of this recently and passed it to LEO friends of mine, some had seen it a few years ago.

It is very interesting that the BG carries different and is very confident and well trained. It puts a very different perspective on the Lakewood situation, Clemmens fits the description here to a 'T'....

It has made me look at crowds and people differntly, specifically where and how they carry. I could always spot others CC, but I never understood where and how the BG would carry.... should up your SA and keep a look out for the no holster look.

swatspyder

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
I believe this is a double post, correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I read it in the main sections of the forum.
It is, but not the full document from the FBI study.

I just posted parts of the summary article for people who don't like to read a 179 page study.

kito109654

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
kito109654 wrote:
I believe this is a double post, correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I read it in the main sections of the forum.
It is, but not the full document from the FBI study.

I just posted parts of the summary article for people who don't like to read a 179 page study.
Okay, that's kind of what I thought. Summaries are good! :)