• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I'm flying to NYC.

kparker

imported post

More specifically, NYC's murder rate is just slightly higher than Seattle's, 1/3 that of Chicago and 1/5 of DC's. But don't stop there: in 2008 New Orleans actually led the pack, with a murder rate fully 10x that of NYC.

In terms of other violent crime, Seattle and NYC have essentially the same rate of robbery and aggravated assault, and once again Chicago's rate is double in both categories.

This is based on the FBI UCR figures for 2008, data is available here.

kparker

imported post

Ok, I missed the part where said he was driving there from NYC.

Indeed, DC probably deserves the title: even though New Orleans beat it last year, if you averaged a decade or so (sorry, too lazy myself to do it) DC would be first or second probably.

amzbrady

imported post

kparker wrote:
More specifically, NYC's murder rate is just slightly higher than Seattle's, 1/3 that of Chicago and 1/5 of DC's. But don't stop there: in 2008 New Orleans actually led the pack, with a murder rate fully 10x that of NYC.

In terms of other violent crime, Seattle and NYC have essentially the same rate of robbery and aggravated assault, and once again Chicago's rate is double in both categories.

This is based on the FBI UCR figures for 2008, data is available here.
What, a city in Illinois where guns are basically illegal off of private property, hasa high crime rate. A place where there is no OC or CC.But how can that be with such a lack of guns?