• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC related in the General Assembly

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I started the Legislative affairs rat race yesterday with an appointment at the Capitol. While I was there, I dropped in on a couple of other friendly legislators and assistants. There weren't a lot there though.

Since Old Va isn't a gun lobby as such, gun issues were one of many sub topics discussed, but I was able to get a feel for this session.

As I suspected, the emphasis this year is going to be the economy and budget. The economy is certainly an area that OV is interested in.

Some of this session is going to undoing some of the harm Kaine did and that includes gun bills that were Vetoed. The bills do have to be introduced though. I haven't talked to Philip about it because I don't want to interfere with his piece of ground and I haven't looked at bills today to see what's been filed this week.

The Sovereignty bill(s) may have a chance but I was warned that it probably won't be enforceable and the reasons were eye opening.

Everyone I spoke to was in favor of a Campus Carry bill with some reservations.

I think a restaurant bill will sail through and will be signed. Still has to have someone introduce it though.

This year will be especially bad getting some bills out of committee because the Dems will be trying to hold on to all the control they can.

The bottom line is, we have a lot of potential this session BUT, it's going to be one of those years when we ALL...have to be active. We have to push hard for good bills and really oppose the bad ones.
Supporting non gun bills that are pet projects of our friends in the GA would also be helpful. If all goes well, next years elections could be pivotal in this state and give gun owners and Redneck lobbyist's the kind of government we've all worked for.

And yes I did discuss OC in WMA's. That's not going to be a legislative issue this year. I don't think it's necessary. I do want an AG opinion related to the State Park Opinion. I just need someone to request it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

peter nap wrote:
And yes I did discuss OC in WMA's. That's not going to be a legislative issue this year. I don't think it's necessary. I do want an AG opinion related to the State Park Opinion. I just need someone to request it.
That opinion on open carry was already issued, but Gov. did not follow it and repeal teh open carry bans on many state lands - that's what the new Gov. should order be done; we may have to request rule making.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
peter nap wrote:
That opinion on open carry was already issued, but Gov. did not follow it and repeal teh open carry bans on many state lands - that's what the new Gov. should order be done; we may have to request rule making.
The opinion was directed at State parks, not WMA's Mike.
They should be the same but it's easier to ask for one specifically aimed at DGIF. DGIF claims some special exemption due to hunting.

I have been dogging him about this for a year.

http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/a-confrence-call-with-bob-mcdonnell-2/
This is where I started getting interested in what Bob was saying. He said that as Attorney General he supported the second amendment because it was the law. He told me the same thing about a different question during our last Bloggers call. One question that keeps coming up is will Bob as Governor, force agencies under his control, to comply with the law, as interpreted by the Attorney’ Generals Office? The answer keeps coming up…”Yes”.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

peter nap wrote:
The opinion was directed at State parks, not WMA's
The basico holding is the same - universal right to open carry - many or most of these regulations are under the purview of Dept. of Conservation and should be repealed by rule making once McDonnell is in office.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
peter nap wrote:
The opinion was directed at State parks, not WMA's
The basico holding is the same - universal right to open carry - many or most of these regulations are under the purview of Dept. of Conservation and should be repealed by rule making once McDonnell is in office.
I don't think I'll count on that.
DGIF has always managed to use it's ability to control poaching on WMA's, to get their way.
While the State Park ban repeal would be nice, I don't have a dog in that fight.
The WMA's are a different story though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

It will save localities money to do away with any and all fingerprinting requirements on CHP applications - it is not needed anyway.

Also lifetime CHP was passed but never funded - funded? Money to be saved here also.

Yata hey