• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying an AR15 in a State Game Area or State Forest

patriot1776

imported post

I normally carry my AR15 on my chest when hiking through state game areas or forests. I usually carry it for target shooting or just because I feel like it (I'm nothunting).

I know that target shooting in state game areas and state forests is allowed (unless otherwise posted). In the past aslong as it was obvious I was target shooting I knew it wouldn't be a problem.

But in this case I will be carrying it with no target related items(just some spare mags anda lunch in mybackpack).My fear is that I'll run across a CO who thinks I'm hunting. In MI hunting with a centerfire gun having a total capacity of more than 6 rounds is illegal. But since I'm not hunting, the AR is loaded with far more rounds than that.

Is it legal to do this as long as I "make no attempt to take any game"?

Thanks,

Mike

BreakingTheMold

imported post

I carry my AR all the time. Just take a few targets folded up, and be sure to buy a hunting license. If you meet, one, or anyone, just tell them your looking for a spot to shoot.

Also, if your out there, why not shoot a few rounds? I like carrying coyote calls with me whenever i'm out in the woods. Lot of coyotes in Michigan.

Michigander

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
I carry my AR all the time. Just take a few targets folded up, and be sure to buy a hunting license.
A hunting license means exactly nothing in this situation. Brighton is deep in the shotgun zone, and even if it wasn't, as was already stated the magazine capacity is well beyond the 6 you can hunt with in semi auto.

Having targets I would also consider meaningless. That would be a way to try to explain yourself to a CO. In my opinion, an encounter with a CO should be treated just like any other LE interaction. Tell them nothing you aren't legally required to, and be eager to call 911 and your lawyer right in front of the agent if your rights get infringed on in any way.

T Vance

imported post

I know you can be on State land in the shotgun zone with a rifle (make sure you have a license for small game hunting) but I don't think you can be on State land with a rifle when you have a magazine in it that that can hold more than 6 rounds in the gun and magazine combined. Not positive here.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

Michigander wrote:
BreakingTheMold wrote:
I carry my AR all the time. Just take a few targets folded up, and be sure to buy a hunting license.
A hunting license means exactly nothing in this situation. Brighton is deep in the shotgun zone, and even if it wasn't, as was already stated the magazine capacity is well beyond the 6 you can hunt with in semi auto.

Having targets I would also consider meaningless. That would be a way to try to explain yourself to a CO. In my opinion, an encounter with a CO should be treated just like any other LE interaction. Tell them nothing you aren't legally required to, and be eager to call 911 and your lawyer right in front of the agent if your rights get infringed on in any way.
Whenever your in possession of a firearm in an area of inhabited by wildlife you need a tag. You can carry a rifle in the shot gun zone (where i've done ALL my rifle carrying).Magazine capacity applies when your in the act of trying to take or have already taken game. It does not apply while target practicing. You just need an "Identifiable backstop".

http://midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/MiDNR.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=zJBTSDxj&p_lva=&p_faqid=2504&p_created=1019573471&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEwMCZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXRhcmdldCBzaG9vdCZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li

Yooper

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
Michigander wrote:
BreakingTheMold wrote:

Whenever your in possession of a firearm in an area of inhabited by wildlife you need a tag. You can carry a rifle in the shot gun zone (where i've done ALL my rifle carrying).Magazine capacity applies when your in the act of trying to take or have already taken game. It does not apply while target practicing. You just need an "Identifiable backstop".

http://midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/MiDNR.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=zJBTSDxj&p_lva=&p_faqid=2504&p_created=1019573471&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEwMCZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXRhcmdldCBzaG9vdCZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li
I guess I need a hunting license anytime I walk out of my house with a rifle/shotgun since there's frequently deer, bear, rabbits, hares, and partridge in my yard.

I've been in the sticks many many, many, times with a rifle / shotgun outside of hunting seasons and never have been bothered. Of course, it probably helps when I've only seen probably 2 DNR officers out in the woods in the past 20 years, but neither bothered stopping.