• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax/Manassas VA - January 2 - highpower rifle match - weather permitting

W.E.G.

imported post

THE JANUARY 2 MATCH IS OFFICIALLY ON!

Sent: Friday, January 01, 2010 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: concern about ice forming on asphalt on west side of spillway

Gary;

I just got back from the club where I wasted a bunch of good pistol ammo. Anywho, I estimate about a dozen vehicles crossed the spillway during the time I was there and there was no visible evidence of water building up on the west side of the spillway. There is water passing over the spillway, however it is less than the length of a car. So, I am going to run the match as scheduled. I know of at least two shooters who plan to be there. If the turnout is small I will not be disappointed...doesn't matter to me if 2 show up or 12 show up.

Thanks for your input,
Alan

Sent: Friday, January 01, 2010 2:49 PM

Gary;

One other thing I forgot to mention...the club manager will not assist anyone who may end up in a ditch or the lake. If you plan to post info to the internutz, you may want to let them know that if they attend the match they will be doing so at their own risk.

Fairfax/Manassas VA - January 2 - highpower rifle match - weather permitting

Please come to our match on the first Saturday in 2010.
January 2, 2010.

Watch this thread for any last minute cancellations due to conditions.
We don't stop shooting for cold weather, but ice could close the road down to the range.
We are about to get hit with a big snow storm, and that could close the road down to the rifle range if the snow is really heavy.

(one club rule I need to mention:
guns must be cased except on the firing line -- concealed handguns must remain concealed and holstered -- "open-carry" not allowed on club premises)

Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 1:46 PM
Subject: Match Bulletin

Hi Gary;

Please share with the inter-nutz.

Attached is the bulletin for the match on January 2...weather permitting. In the next week or so, I will prepare another bulletin that will list the monthly matches for all of 2010. I will also prepare a bulletin for the Spring league as well as the HP clinic on Feb. 13, I need to get with Tom Edmonston to determine what we're going to charge and what equipment we have available to loan out for the clinic. Stay tuned.

Thanks for your support,

awillard

2010_Monthly_Match_Bulletin.jpg

FFX-12.jpg

FFX-Steve.jpg

nova

imported post

Are non-members who are not competing welcome to watch?

W.E.G.

imported post

Non-member spectators are welcome.

The no-open-carry rule is a club rule for all events.

The road to the range is still impassible due to snow.

nova

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:

Thanks for the info

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

W.E.G. wrote:

Weg- I have some time next week. If the snow does not melt let me know and I can bring a machine over and plow the road. I might not get more then one lane open but that should be enough to get down the hill.

Regards

W.E.G.

imported post

Posted on: Dec. 24 2009,10:25

The manager advises as of 10:00 AM this morning:
ALL EIGHT SKEET FIELDS, THE PARKING LOTS AND WALKWAYS ARE OPEN

THE ROAD TO THE VALLEY RANGE AND THE PARKING AREA ARE OPEN AND ICE COVERED - salt has been ordered and is to be delivered sometime this afternoon.

THE RANGES HAVE APROX. 20" OF SNOW ON THEM FROM FIRING LINE TO BERM.

W.E.G.

imported post

Please note that the "Valley" range is not the Benson range.

The Benson range is about another quarter-mile further, including driving over a large spillway (a.k.a. "dam").

W.E.G.

imported post

Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2009 10:44 AM
Subject: Monthly High Power Match - Jan. 2

Greetings High Power Rifle Competitors;

I hope y'all had a great Christmas, I sure did.

Thanks to the rain and above-freezing temps it looks like wewill be able to have a high power match next Saturday, January 2. The match bulletin is attached. Please bring exact change - $10.00 and a stapler for putting up targets. Registration begins at 8:00am.

If there is a threat of ice or snow before the match, be sure to check your e-mail Friday evening. I will inspect the range on Friday afternoon and I'll send out information via this e-mail list if I have to cancel the match. If you do not receive an e-mail from me that means the match is ON as scheduled.

During the next week I will bee-mailing information to you about the HP program for 2010, I have the dates for the spring league as well as monthly matches and the Garand match.There will beaHP clinic in February, which is highly recommended for new shooters. Stay tuned.

Have a happy and safe New Year's!

See you on the firing line,
Alan Willard
Match Director

W.E.G.

imported post

Posted on: Dec. 27 2009,09:12

As of 0900hr. today, 12/27/09 ALL TRAP/SKEET/5-STAND FIELDS ARE OPEN.

ROADS TO THE LOWER RANGES HAVE SOME SLIPPERY SPOTS

WATER IS FLOWING OVER THE SPILLWAY

USE CAUTION WHEN NAVIGATING THE ROADS TO THE LOWER RANGES

W.E.G.

imported post

There has been no decision to cancel the match as of this posting.

HOWEVER.

I want to warn of possible impassible driving conditions on the west side of the spillway.

Many of you are well-aware that shooters driving to the “lower ranges” are required to drive over the spillway for Lake Cotting.

Most days, there is no water flowing over the spillway.

On the occasional days when water is flowing over the spillway, temperatures are above freezing, so there is no reason to discuss ICE.

Now, pay attention. If water is flowing over the spillway, and temperatures are BELOW FREEZING, car tires will track water onto the asphalt road surface on the west side of the spillway.

This may be a non-issue for the first few cars.
However, after several cars track water onto the asphalt, that water will FREEZE.
This hazardous situation is compounded by the fact that the asphalt is on a steep slope, with a dog-leg turn.

If that asphalt area becomes iced, cars could become trapped between the spillway and the roadway at the bottom of the hill. Frankly, I think that would royally suck, and I would NOT want to be the guy in the Toyota in that situation. Four-wheel-drive vehicles *might* have a better shot at it. But, remember its ICE. Even four-wheel-drive has no talismanic power on ice.

Alan Willard said he would check on range/road conditions sometime today. I will try to contact Alan, and especially find out whether water is currently flowing over the spillway.

I will make another report here by 2100 hrs., 1 January 2010.

FFRGspillwaydam.jpg

W.E.G.

imported post

Sent: Friday, January 01, 2010 9:12 AM

Hi Gary;

Youre observations are right on. I plan to go out to the range this afternoon. If water is still running over the spillway I will probably cancel the match for the reasons you stated. The current forecast for tomorrow is clear with a high of 25, so I don't think many people will be disappointed, more likely they will be relieved if I cancel the match. I will make the decision this afternoon and send out an e-mail to the list.

Later,
awillard

altajava

imported post

I have always wanted to attend some matches and see what it would take to get involved. I don'tagree with the no OC allowed but it could be overlooked.

When the NRA range first opened, they did not allowholsteredfirearms to be worn in the door but have since changed. Perhaps their budget for liability insurance is a little bigger?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

altajava wrote:
...SNIP
I don't agree with the no OC allowed but it could be overlooked. 

When the NRA range first opened, they did not allow holstered firearms to be worn in the door but have since changed. Perhaps their budget for liability insurance is a little bigger?

This at least the second time I have seen this comment about no OC. This is just a basic range safety rule. No reasonable range wants people not engaged in the match to wander the firing line with loaded firearms. I know someone will counter with the "but it is safely holstered so..." argument, but that does not wash, this is a basic range safety rule employed by almost all reputable ranges during competitions.

In this case they DO allow CC so I really do not see the problem here. There is no political statement to be made with OC there, it is private property, so you can CC there without a permit. But it is after all private property and they get to set the rules.

Last I checked there was not a lot of criminal activity at that facility.:lol:

nova

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
altajava wrote:
...SNIP
I don'tagree with the no OC allowed but it could be overlooked.

When the NRA range first opened, they did not allowholsteredfirearms to be worn in the door but have since changed. Perhaps their budget for liability insurance is a little bigger?

This at least the second time I have seen this comment about no OC. This is just a basic range safety rule. No reasonable range wants people not engaged in the match to wander the firing line with loaded firearms. I know someone will counter with the "but it is safely holstered so..." argument, but that does not wash, this is a basic range safety rule employed by almost all reputable ranges during competitions.

In this case they DO allow CC so I really do not see the problem here. There is no political statement to be made with OC there, it is private property, so you can CC there without a permit. But it is after all private property and they get to set the rules.

Last I checked there was not a lot of criminal activity at that facility.:lol:
Two things aren't necessarily correct here. You say that there shouldn't be any loaded firearms wondering around so no OC. You then say that CC is fine. Negative comments regarding the no OC rule should be expected, this is a website for Open Carry, afterall :).

And just because it is private property does not mean you can CC with no permit. You still must have a CHP, with few exceptions. OC isn't always about political statements, it's also done for comfort and other times it is required by law (like in my case)

I'll still might come out and watch, and I'll respect their no-OC policy since it is their property and I'm a guest.