• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC Store Carry

usaf0906

imported post

You can OC or CC, the choice is yours. While they do sell alcohol, it is not a "resturant or club" as the law states, so CC is not prohibited.

Also, since its a state run store, Preemption keeps it that way.

**http://www.abc.state.va.us/licenseeSearch/jsp/controller.jsp?task=retaillicense

You can use the above link to search what type of liquor license a location has. If it isnt a resturant or a club (establishment type), you can CC.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cbackous wrote:
You can OC or CC, the choice is yours. While they do sell alcohol, it is not a "resturant or club" as the law states, so CC is not prohibited.

Also, since its a state run store, Preemption keeps it that way.

**http://www.abc.state.va.us/licenseeSearch/jsp/controller.jsp?task=retaillicense

You can use the above link to search what type of liquor license a location has. If it isnt a resturant or a club (establishment type), you can CC.

Actually, state preemption does not apply to ABC stores. The ABC is not apolitical subdivision of the Commonwealthbut a division of state government under the executive branch. It is the same reason as why certain universities can get away with banning firearms [notwithstanding the probably improper use of the VAC].

And, yes, OCing in an ABC store generally creates comments from the staffregarding their desire to be allowed to carry for self protection being blocked by state personnel policy regarding workplace violence prevention.

stay safe.

skidmark

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cbackous wrote:
SNIP You can OC or CC, the choice is yours. While they do sell alcohol, it is not a "resturant or club" as the law states, so CC is not prohibited.

Citation needed.

I'll supply it here. In the future, please supply the citation, and if possible a direct quote and link. Forum Rule #7.

Excerpt from Va Code 18.2-308.J.3:

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia...

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

As you can see Driver, it is restaurants and clubs where CC is prohibited. We know of no other statutory prohibitions.

virginiatuck

imported post

I'm interested in McDonnell's ABC Privatization Plan. I wonder how it would work. Is he looking at the entire Department of ABC or only the retail stores? Will it be simply that regular retail/grocery stores are permitted to sell liquor? Or will there still have to be separate liquor stores? And if they're privately owned and run, then would you expect that many would have a policy against OC?

simmonsjoe

imported post

Citizen wrote:
cbackous wrote:
SNIP You can OC or CC, the choice is yours. While they do sell alcohol, it is not a "resturant or club" as the law states, so CC is not prohibited.

Citation needed.

I'll supply it here. In the future, please supply the citation, and if possible a direct quote and link. Forum Rule #7.

Excerpt from Va Code 18.2-308.J.3:

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia...

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

As you can see Driver, it is restaurants and clubs where CC is prohibited. We know of no other statutory prohibitions.
Does this mean a location which has an ABC-ON permit, but does not meet 4.1-100 definition can be CC'd in? a la harris teeter wine tastings?

nova

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Hendu024 wrote:
Yep, carry however you wish. I OC into ABC stores all the time, not an eyebrow raised yet.
Same here
Whaddya mean, "Same here"? You just turned 21! ;)
I've OC'd at ABC stores before and I'm NOT 21 (yet). :lol:

nova

imported post

QUESTION: VA ABC is a state agency, correct? ABC Stores are operated by VA ABC, right?

So if preemption doesn't apply to state agencies (like public universities) then what stops ABC stores from prohibiting carry?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nova wrote:
QUESTION: VA ABC is a state agency, correct? ABC Stores are operated by VA ABC, right?

So if preemption doesn't apply to state agencies (like public universities) then what stops ABC stores from prohibiting carry?

The lack of stupidity?

stay safe.

skidmark