• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Buy's Corporate Policy

UtahJarhead

imported post

I've seen on other forums that Best Buy had a very anti-gun policy in place for all of their stores. I'm setting the record straight in case there was anybody else that thought as I did.

I emailed Best Buy's corporate offices about a week and a half back and got a call back about 20 minutes ago. Best Buy's OFFICIAL policy is that they respect the constitutional rights of all of their customers and as such, they do not limit the rights of their customers. They do not have a specific policy regarding handguns and leave it up to the state and local laws to set the boundaries.

HOWEVER.... the lady also said that they strive to maintain a comfortable shopping environment for all of their customers. I'm guessing this is their wiggle-room to allow themselves to ask a gun toter to leave if asked. Considering their official stance is to follow state law instead of banning it outright, I'd say they're at least 'accepting' of our culture and are good to go with it.

She also said there are no "No Guns" sign in their stores and that *IS* policy to not have those signs. Another plus I think.

hp-hobo

imported post

For what it's worth, and based solely on your two posts created one minute apart this evening, I think you spend way too much time asking permission and not enough time simply going about your business as a good citizen.

It has been my experience that by asking permission, you give somone else the opportunity to make your decisions for you. More importantly, by asking permission you just might bring something to their attention that they've never thought of, thereby allowing them the time to say "no".

Sometimes the best thing you can say (or questions you can ask), is nothing at all.

UtahJarhead

imported post

I didn't ask permission. I asked their stance. I carry everywhere I go. Since my only weapon so far is a Ruger LCP, I can't flat out open-carry, so the most I can do is casual conceal. As to the time difference between the posts, it's because I went to the Post Office to send some Christmas packages (It's that season, after all), then I went and bought jewelry for my wife about an hour south of here, then came back home. 5 minutes in the door, I got a call back from BB. Didn't think it was an offense to ask companies their stance.

hp-hobo

imported post

You can mince words anyway you want, my point still stands. If you hadn't asked them what "their stance" was, they probably wouldn't have given it any thought. Now they will.

As for your LCP. My wife loves hers andcarries it EVERYWHERE with her (concealed) except the shower and you're absolutely correct. It looks a bit silly open carried. Maybe Santawill bring you a "real gun".

UtahJarhead

imported post

Are you TRYING to troll? You bring nothing but insults to the table. You tell me not to ask permission (that's always a good idea) and then berate my choice of a first gun.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

don't mind me

popcorn.gif

lonewolf2810

imported post

I will never tell someone that the gun they carry is not worth carrying. This is no way to treat anyone that is willing to tote a weapon for protection. The way I see it, It is better that not having one. You said your wife carries one like his so I guess you won't buy her a "REAL" gun so it shows how much you care for her.

If it shoots and you can carry it then go for it. It could save your life in the long run. So hp-hobo lay off the real gun crap as most people carry what they can afford and still get the job done. Bigger isn't always better but having one is better than not having one.

Phoenix David

imported post

There is nothing wrong with finding out if a corporation is anti-gun (or as I like to say anti-self defense) or if they wisely let the local state law make that decision.

If I find a place that I normally patronize is anti-self defense of has a sign forbidding firearms I will vote with my dollars and go somewhere else. Seldom is there only one place in town that sells item X.

Why would I give my money to a place that doesn't want me as a customer?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Phoenix David wrote:
There is nothing wrong with finding out if a corporation is anti-gun (or as I like to say anti-self defense) or if they wisely let the local state law make that decision. 

If I find a place that I normally patronize is anti-self defense of has a sign forbidding firearms I will vote with my dollars and go somewhere else.  Seldom is there only one place in town that sells item X. 

While I agree with your conclusions as to where you should shop and who you will support in the marketplace, I also agree with the view that people should NOT go around inquiring about company policies unless the issue is raised as a result of a carrying incident. Just wear your defensive weapon and go about your business. If it becomes an issue then handle it.

Regards

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:

If I find a place that I normally patronize is anti-self defense of has a sign forbidding firearms I will vote with my dollars and go somewhere else. Seldom is there only one place in town that sells item X.

While I agree with your conclusions as to where you should shop and who you will support in the marketplace, I also agree with the view that people should NOT go around inquiring about company policies unless the issue is raised as a result of a carrying incident. Just wear your defensive weapon and go about your business. If it becomes an issue then handle it.

Regards
Call it a , Don't ask don't tell policy..:)

Phoenix David

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:

Regards
Call it a , Don't ask don't tell policy..:)
I only ask if I see a sign posted, then it's to let them know that I will not be spending money there.

UtahJarhead

imported post

I had seen posts on other forums stating Best Buy was entirely anti-gun, that's why I asked them directly.

As far as whether to ask or not, I'd been told Red Robin was anti-gun as well, however we're doing a Utah open carry dinner at a Red Robin and we all discovered that they're NOT anti-gun. How did I find out? Even though they were supposedly anti-gun, I submitted a question about them hosting an OC dinner through their corporate website and got a call from the regional manager in the area and the general manager for the restaurant we're going to be at. Not only do they support it as we thought they didn't, they're also providing some free food on top of our normal meals.

hp-hobo

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
Are you TRYING to troll? You bring nothing but insults to the table. You tell me not to ask permission (that's always a good idea) and then berate my choice of a first gun.
Moron. Show me the part of my post where I berated your choice of gun. Can't do it because I didn't. As a matter of fact I pointed out that my wife always carries hers and she loves it. That sounds a lot like a recommendation to me.

IMO, if ayone is acting like a troll in this thread, it's the one who has the whole victim thing perfected... You. Maybe if you had a bit more self confidence you wouldn't worry about asking where and when you can carry your gun, or be worried about what kind of sidearm you have. Real men know that size doesn't matter.

So to make myself very clear. I think an LCP is a fine carry gun. But I still say you're wrong to ask too many questions about corporate firearm policies. Your inquisitive nature can end up causing policies to be made where none existed before, and that canhurt all of us.

Got it?

hp-hobo

imported post

lonewolf2810 wrote:
I will never tell someone that the gun they carry is not worth carrying. This is no way to treat anyone that is willing to tote a weapon for protection. The way I see it, It is better that not having one. You said your wife carries one like his so I guess you won't buy her a "REAL" gun so it shows how much you care for her.

If it shoots and you can carry it then go for it. It could save your life in the long run. So hp-hobo lay off the real gun crap as most people carry what they can afford and still get the job done. Bigger isn't always better but having one is better than not having one.
Neither will I. Neither did I. And if you fall for the victimhood card played by this guy, you're no better than he is. The facts don't support your opinion. Give it a rest and give us all a break.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
As for your LCP.  My wife loves hers and carries it EVERYWHERE with her (concealed) except the shower and you're absolutely correct.  It looks a bit silly open carried.  Maybe Santa will bring you a "real gun".

Well, to referee a bit, perhaps this was the source of disdain. Perhaps it may be chalked up to misunderstood intentions. On forums, as in emails, this is often the case. Rhetoric rampages about these forums and you must take care to catch it when it's thrown. Because, surely, no one that admits to owning and carrying a Hi-Point of any caliber would berate a Ruger LCP carrier with any level of seriousness... :)

lonewolf2810

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
You can mince words anyway you want, my point still stands. If you hadn't asked them what "their stance" was, they probably wouldn't have given it any thought. Now they will.

As for your LCP. My wife loves hers andcarries it EVERYWHERE with her (concealed) except the shower and you're absolutely correct. It looks a bit silly open carried. Maybe Santawill bring you a "real gun".
What does this say^^^^^^^^ dark and bold????

This is saying what I meant and I hope that Santa gets the chip off your shoulder for Christmas. I have always ask about company policy on a lot of things not just guns. If you don't ask you will never learn so let it go as he was in the right to find out what he could do and not do legally, doesn't hurt a thing unless you want it to.

Have a very Merry Christmas I know I will. :D

hp-hobo

imported post

lonewolf2810 wrote:
What does this say^^^^^^^^ dark and bold????

This is saying what I meant and I hope that Santa gets the chip off your shoulder for Christmas. I have always ask about company policy on a lot of things not just guns. If you don't ask you will never learn so let it go as he was in the right to find out what he could do and not do legally, doesn't hurt a thing unless you want it to.

Have a very Merry Christmas I know I will. :D

Did you notice those little things called quotation marks on either side of the words real and gun? Do you know what it means when someone uses them in the way I did? Did you bother reading where I clarified my position by stating that an LCP is a fine carry gun? I already know the answers to all of the above. Can you answer them honestly?

It's quite apparent who has the chip on their shoulder, and it's not me. Here's hoping Santa will bring you some reading comprehension. Now can we get back to the original topic?

Merry Christmas.

1245A Defender

imported post

i went to cabela's last week, i was CC, buyin a black powder pistol. it took a while and while i was there i asked if cabela's supported OC and was told,,,,hell yes!!!

the OP has already heard lotsa thoughts about asking about company policy, but the arguing about gun choices is just your own waste of time.

i myself carry a raven 25 "shower gun", unless im carrying 1 of my real guns, that little toy is in my pocket or on the counter in my bathroom next to the shower, when im in it!!

we all start with the gun we can "have", then we try to get the gun we want, and an other and an other and an other till we cant keep track. it might be an LCP or a hightpoint or a raven. ive got that and a grendle 380, a tanfoglio gt380, a P38, and 2 star mondelo supers in 9mm largo.

but there is a point to this post.... idhate to OC my raven!!

and unless youre a big bulky guy....it would be hard to CC your highpoint

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Heh heh, I've always wanted to OC a single action revolver in cross-draw form, of course after I've masted the quick draw and shooting techniques... seriously though guys, your argument is over a miscommunication.

Back to the issue at hand. Some people, rather than charging and testing the waters would rather take a passive approach and ask. Either method has a potential of a mixed bag of results but the perception, and perhaps the rule, is that an OCer will have better success at establishing OC-friendly zones than someone asking if one can OC at an establishment.

Asking the policy on OC/CC as with asking if one can OC/CC, in the eyes of some, is essentially asking permission. Either method will have management quote their policy (yes or no if they have one on OC or CC or if they defer to state and local laws) OR it will force management to make a decision on policy with them actually seeing it in action.

That's my opinion, I could be wrong...