Thread: Possession

Post imported post

I wanna get your opinions, and any facts, or Laws on this question.

Can a child under the age of 18 posses a pistol?

Post imported post

I am not positive, but in the presence of the lawful owner AND in a place where a non CPL holder could carry, I believe the answer is yes.

I am unaware of any law that prohibits it.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I am not positive, but in the presence of the lawful owner AND in a place where a non CPL holder could carry, I believe the answer is yes.

I am unaware of any law that prohibits it.

think it only applies to private property,shooting ranges and state land and nat'l forests...but i have nothing to back that up and am just speculating.

when i backpack in the UP i have the 10/22 on me which is registered as a pistol,and am only 17.

i called the dnr,the forestry service and delta county sherriff dept,they all said that so long as the registered owner is withinun-aided visual and verbal contact at any time it is carried by me then its legal. un aided meaning that they have to be close enough to talk to me basically.

oh and that any target shooting must be done at a clearly identifiable artificially constructed target,and that i cannot take or attempt to take game unless it was covered by lawful hunting practices.

didnt say anything about outside of the hiawatha nat'l forest though,as i asked specifically about the hiawatha national forest.

not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

Page 28 of the Current MI Hunting and Trapping Guide:

Statewide Handgun Regulations

The rules listed below may not apply to a person having a concealed pistol license (CPL) or a person specifically exempt by law from a CPL and carrying their handgun in accordance with their license or exemption.

A person must be at least 18 years of age to hunt with (possess) a handgun.

Handguns cannot be borrowed or loaned to another person other than provided for under the CPL.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
    Handguns cannot be borrowed or loaned to another person other than provided for under the CPL.
    Just curious, but then why can a gun range rent out guns to people who don't have their CPL? Is it because it is private property?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    PDinDetroit wrote:
    Just curious, but then why can a gun range rent out guns to people who don't have their CPL? Is it because it is private property?
    Because they are under direct supervision by the gun owner.