• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High point

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

I keep hearing bout this 9mm High Point rifle with the pistol magazine. I saw one at Durhams for 259.00. It is a neat looking gun. A friend says you can get them at gun shows for about 175.00 or more.

Is this a decent rifle for the price, can any one tell me the ins and outs of this rifle.

Michigander

imported post

Pros- Reliable, cheap, reasonably accurate to the range of a pistol caliber carbine (doesn't go much further than that in Michigan), and it has a great warranty.

Cons- Low capacity, low power, ugly looks.

All things considered, if you want a 9mm carbine, it's not a bad way to go.

Michigander

imported post

Depends on what you want.

If, say, you wanted more power and longer range, I'd say SKS.

If you wanted really long range and lot's of power, I'd say Mosin Nagant.

If you want relatively cheap rapid fire practice, and a HD gun that won't over penetrate too badly with the right ammo, the Hi Point will work.

Decoligny

imported post

It shoots some of the most readily available ammo.

It is ugly, but you can get a different stock for it. Makes all the difference.

hi-point995-2.jpg

hi-point995-3.jpg

WARCHILD

imported post

I got mine 8 yrs ago. My son loves it and with a scope mount I made for it, he was shooting bottle caps off 2 liter bottles at 100ft, no problem. I had mainly purchased it for him in lieu of a 410 as a starter rifle. I then practiced and found it to be very nice for close quarter home defense. Even if out of ammo, it makes a nice club. I got it for $119 out the door, good investment for me.

MY.02

choover

imported post

really cant beat it for the money, I got mine for 159 a few years back and would never sell it to be honest. I wouldnt drop the money on a new stock, its a cheap rifle, fun to plink with, reliable and fairly accurate use it for what it is. Comes with scope mounts to I believe.

They have a 40 cal also I think. I could be wrong.

lil_freak_66

imported post

yes they make it in .40

i would post a link directly to it but hi point is currently "updating our carbine selections"

making me wonder if they are adding and/or dropping calibers

but to the left the page DOES list 9mm and .40

ah heck heres the link with that above message.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/hi_point_carbines.html

i would consider this carbine,but i would want to see a tri or quad rail stock for it,so that it could be fully setup with whatever you want,lights(which i feel should be required for an HD) lasers,grips...whatever

lifer89

imported post

I bought one used and I love it. I have tried several kinds of ammo and it never has a jam. I like it rite next to the bed and its fun to watch the kids shoot it also.

conservative85

imported post

Sick as in good, or sick as in UGH!

Either way you look at it we kicked the British's butt with Ball& Cap. So I think this is a decent rifle for the price.

xdm4life

Grand rapids/comstock park, Michigan, USA
imported post

i owned one for quite a while and i wont say i loved it because i dont own it anymore.

the only real complaint i had about the weapon was there is no real slide lock. you have to kinda use the charging bolt as the slide lock and i hated that. i also hated the capacity of it. i had the 995 9mm version of this gun and it is a single stack 10 round mag. these two reasons were why i sold the gun.

other than that it was very very reliable, i had 2 FTE i think in the whole tim i owned and shot it.it was cheap as dirt and fun to shoot.

i also owned a hi point c9 handgun and would not suggest anyone buy one of those ever. for a cheap reliable carbine i do not know of a better one than the 995.

now if money is no option get a kel tec carbine or a px4 storm. the storm is a very nice gun, plus has added capacity.

steve

imported post

I own the c9 compact 9mm and love it, it's big and ugly, weighs a lot but i have never had a jam and it is pretty darn accurate...

i been wanting the carbine but just need the money.