• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Fun!

thelongone13

imported post

I just OC'd at Taco Bell, Menards, and my local AutoZone. It was fun to see the expressions on peoples' faces... WOW. One lady was FREAKED out, but didn't approach me or anything. AutoZone, nobody really cared. They all know me anyway, and I needed their help to find sandpaper that will work on polymer anyway. Taco Bell thought they were going to get robbed lol... I bought things at all 3 and paid... with a debit card. :D

Open carry rocks! For the record, I carried my XD45 in a Crosman BB gun thigh rig... :lol:

105_0685.jpg

scorpio_vette

imported post

well................uumm................it's DEFINITELY NOT concealed. LOL seems a bit to attention getting though if you ask me. almost like you are TRYING to show it. not trying to step on anybodies toes. just saying.

on the other hand, i've noticed that NONE of my jackets would really work very well though with a waist belt holster. it makes the jacket very bunched up and uncomfortable. plus if i reach up to grab anything, it pulls my jacket loose and then covers when i let my arms back down. which then would mean that i would have to REACH for my gun again to tuck my jacket behind the holster, and that's just to much "reaching for" than i want.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I would have been disappointed if I were you. When I see people react in FEAR, it shows me how much prejudice is still in the world, and THAT is disappointing.

As for how you carry, that looks perfectly legal to me, and that's all I care about. You carry legal, don't have to "fiddle" with it because of the coat issues mentioned, and help educate the public.

You are one of several hundred volunteers throughout the great state of Wisconsin working to help educate the public.

Congratulations, and carry on!

icepik

imported post

Congrats on the successful OC. Sorry to hear about the looks. Perhaps saying hi to those who look fearful and seeing if they would like a brochure about OC'ing would be in order? Brochure file attached here if needed. (It's from someone else on here, so I will not take credit.)

Yes, it is attention grabbing, but only because it's not the norm.

That style of holster eliminates the concealed by coat problem, while grabbing a bit more attention than a belt holster, but I agree, it's a legal carry, so carry on...

I was researching these drop holsters, well the attachment for my Blackhawk Serpa, and they're a bit pricey...wonder if one could make something with some strapping for cheaper...yeah, probably not, or at least it wouldn't be secure enough, sighs....guess I'll have to see about dropping some cash. Looks like I get to get myself a x-mas present...:D

Anyone know the cheapest place to get something to turn my Blackhawk into a drop holster? Trying to find the least straps possible, not that double drop strap thing I seen online. Something as incognito as possible.

Thanks!!

Jason

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

icepik:

I have a "duty" holster attachment for my blackhawk. It allows it to hang about 4.5 inches lower than a paddle, and my winter coat can tuck right in between the firearm and the part connected to the belt.

icepik

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
icepik:

I have a "duty" holster attachment for my blackhawk. It allows it to hang about 4.5 inches lower than a paddle, and my winter coat can tuck right in between the firearm and the part connected to the belt.
Mind me asking where ya got it from and about how much it set ya back?

Got any photos of it being used? Is it safe to assume that it's comfortable and doesn't get in the way? What about sitting in a vehicle (without the firearm of course), does it get in the way of the seatbelt buckle or anything?

I can search online and I'm sure I'll find several, just looking for the best deal.

Thanks!!!

thelongone13

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
well................uumm................it's DEFINITELY NOT concealed. LOL seems a bit to attention getting though if you ask me. almost like you are TRYING to show it. not trying to step on anybodies toes. just saying.

on the other hand, i've noticed that NONE of my jackets would really work very well though with a waist belt holster. it makes the jacket very bunched up and uncomfortable. plus if i reach up to grab anything, it pulls my jacket loose and then covers when i let my arms back down. which then would mean that i would have to REACH for my gun again to tuck my jacket behind the holster, and that's just to much "reaching for" than i want.
I AM trying to show it so it's LEGAL, not for attention. In fact, I've open carried MANY times with a standard hip holster (came with my XD, actually) and I feel WAY less self-conscious. My coats would DEFINITELY cover it with the hip holster, and since I'm doing the Packing Heat for the Hungry, I needed something that would work for OC while having a coat on.

As for the Blackhawk, check their website. They make a good number of accessories for those holsters.

thelongone13

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
I would have been disappointed if I were you. When I see people react in FEAR, it shows me how much prejudice is still in the world, and THAT is disappointing.

As for how you carry, that looks perfectly legal to me, and that's all I care about. You carry legal, don't have to "fiddle" with it because of the coat issues mentioned, and help educate the public.

You are one of several hundred volunteers throughout the great state of Wisconsin working to help educate the public.

Congratulations, and carry on!
Yes. And when I reach for my POCKET at the register, the guy doesn't try to hand me the register... It is sad how uncomfortable people are with this. I OPEN carry because I want to show people that I do this LEGALLY, in GOOD faith. I used a DEBIT card to show I was planning on only being a LAW ABIDING citizen and so they could identify me. A criminal wouldn't normally be THAT dumb.

thelongone13

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
icepik:

I REALLY wish this was low enough for my coat. And that I had the extra money for a Serpa. I really hate using a thigh rig, but it works for the moment. After the food drive, probably NEVER going to use it again after the food drive. I'll just suffer without carrying til summer.

protias

imported post

This is one reason why I purchased a leg holster as well. I didn't want my coat covering my XD at all.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J. Gleason posted a suggestion in April on a different thread:

"An easy remedy to your coat concealing your firearm is a small piece of elastic with an alligator clip on each end.Clip the end to the bottom of your coat. Then slide the elastic under your holster andclip the other end to the bottom of your coat on the opposite side of your holster. This will keep your coat edge tucked behind your firearm and not allow the edge of your coat to come over your firearm.
Problem solved."

I haven't tried it.

Another option is to go without a jacket when possible. It only takes a minute or two to go from the car to the store after all. For example, the temperature today was 35ish so I left my jacket at home. I didn't carry though; I'm still working up the nerve . . .

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
Agreed running wolf. The vunerability aspect of not carrying is realy starting to get to me. Plus all the dancing one must do holds me back. But my patience is wearing thin. To go "legit" here I need to pick up some OC experience, other than at work. Perhapse we should meet socially, and open carry together for mutual support sometime? Maybe someone plan an OC lunch meet locally here on a Saturday? Somewhere OC friendly, as I'm not up for Police fun either.

I would definitely be up for a get-together. It's been suggested that Gander Mountain is a good venue for carry since they have nocorporate policies against it. Whatever happened tothe lunch at your shop plan?

I know the second time will be easier than the first; it's just a matter of getting the first out of the way . . .

gollbladder13

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
icepik:

I've got the same. Works great.

Cypher

imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
I just OC'd at Taco Bell, Menards, and my local AutoZone. It was fun to see the expressions on peoples' faces... WOW. One lady was FREAKED out, but didn't approach me or anything. AutoZone, nobody really cared. They all know me anyway, and I needed their help to find sandpaper that will work on polymer anyway. Taco Bell thought they were going to get robbed lol... I bought things at all 3 and paid... with a debit card. :D

Open carry rocks! For the record, I carried my XD45 in a Crosman BB gun thigh rig... :lol:

105_0685.jpg
Can I ask where to find a thigh rig like that?

Oh, yeah, &...

HI TAC! :D

(If you don't get it, check here http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0005086/ )