• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How far away is it

swillden

imported post

ichigo wrote:
Thanks for bringing that up. It is within my reach at all times except when I go into a house of worship whether mid week, family party, or on Sunday. To me it's a matter of faith. "Knowing not merely believing what you are doing is in accordance with the will of God". (Lectures on faith, lecture 6). I don't look down on anyone who does carry in those places but it is not for me.
This is my approach to the question as well. But I will make an exception if I feel prompted.

Bennelli

imported post

When I am out and about during the day or at work it is close at hand. When I am home it is locked up, because of my young sons. I have been thinking about getting another "lock-box" for each level in the home.

As for Church it is locked in my car, and I have a knife & OC PS with me, plus the lethal hymm book and triple-combo are close at hand. :lol:We have a US Marshall in the Bishopric hopefully he is carry every week.

manithree

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
76-10-530. Trespass with a firearm in a house of worship or private residence -- Notice -- Penalty.
(6) A violation of this section is an infraction.
So, am I reading this right? I could get fined $750 if convicted of carrying at church?

76-3-205. Infraction conviction -- Fine, forfeiture, and disqualification.
(1) A person convicted of an infraction may not be imprisoned but may be subject to a fine, forfeiture, and disqualification, or any combination.
(2) Whenever a person is convicted of an infraction and no punishment is specified, the person may be fined as for a class C misdemeanor.
76-3-301. Fines of persons.
(1) A person convicted of an offense may be sentenced to pay a fine, not exceeding:
(a) $10,000 for a felony conviction of the first degree or second degree;
(b) $5,000 for a felony conviction of the third degree;
(c) $2,500 for a class A misdemeanor conviction;
(d) $1,000 for a class B misdemeanor conviction;
(e) $750 for a class C misdemeanor conviction or infraction conviction; and
(f) any greater amounts specifically authorized by statute.
(2) This section does not apply to a corporation, association, partnership, government, or governmental instrumentality.

I know I can't lose my CFP for one conviction, but I wonder what other forfeiture or disqualification are possible.

packerbacker

imported post

Hi... Im new here but have been reading things on this site for quite awhile. I like reading and learning about all things relating to firearms. Mainly because I have ALWAYS loved shooting, ever since I was a kid. Anyway, I have had my CCP for 3 plus years now and was all for it since I first learned that it was available to me. Since then I have been trying to get use to it (carrying), more and more since then. I work construction in heavy dust and other gun unfriendly environments so I havent carried alot during work, but I know for a fact, that I could use a fanny pack and keep my gun pretty clean and still do whatever physical labor that needed to be done without demolishing my gun.
When I DONT have my gun on me, I find that I often think that I really should have it with me. Maybe I was in a hurry or that I would only be gone to the store or whatever for a few minutes, but I still end up thinking that I should have it on me. On me and "ready". The whole point is to be ready. Its not the 70s anymore when the most that might happen is maybe getting in a fistfight. It amazes me to hear all of the cowardly unfair attacks that happen to innocent people.
One of my guns is the smallest .380 made and its pretty damn small, so I dont see any reason that I cant come up with a convienient system to make sure that I have AT LEAST some kind of firearm with me. The computer that im on is downstairs and my weapons and ammo are all upstairs on the main level, so Ive even thought while I have been down here "what if all the sudden my door got kicked in and the armed home invaders are between me and my guns" And my family ? Id have to fight like hell and the chances arent in my favor. I have been out spending the day with my son shopping and out and about, armed with a .357 and its still on my hip and I feel a whole lot better downstairs with it on me, than I do unarmed, with all of my firepower upstairs. It shouldnt be that way, but it is. Never can you say " Oh... that will never happen". Look at what just recently happened in Payson ! Yah... the guy had guns, having family home evening thinking that "nothing would happen" Next thing we hear is that his home was invaded and he is murdered. If only he would have had something on him NOW ! There are all kinds of cenarios where you wouldnt expect to need a gun, but nowdays, it seems like those are the most likely places to have something bad happen. It seems like the more I "do" carry, the more I think about it and it kind of becomes habit with time. I think that I need to make an effort to get MORE in the habit and come up with ways to have something withing reach in most all situations.
Whats so wrong with having a gunbelt, holster and firearm on and nothing else ? I dont have a problem with that. Well...... maybe some fuzzy slippers too.

redreed

imported post

I have one of those elastic holsters that look like a back support that goes around your waist. Not even my wife knows I am carrying. That is real discrete pal. They are great. Comfortable too.

So yeah, be discrete and carry always. You will feel much better, and wont have to feel self conscious if that is your concern.

If not self-conscious, open carry! It's your house!

Bennelli

imported post

redreed wrote:
I have one of those elastic holsters that look like a back support that goes around your waist.
Often refered to as a "Belly-Band" holster, I have one and when I need to deep CC I use that one. I run indoor sporting leagues so deep carry is needed while I am there.

redreed

imported post

You know, one of the funny things about the belly band is that a medium sized weapon conceals better, functions better and conceals as well, or better than a small weapon. So I actually only carry my small firearm in the house. When I go out i carry my medium sized weapon with me. The Glock 22 is a bit large for true concealment, but would make the perfect Open Carry weapon. That is on the nightstand. I'm still too much of a wussy for that step (Open Carry). LOL. At the same time, That is why I always carry. Cus I feel safe when I do. But I am still to shy and prefer concealed.

I think it is really great that you guys do what you do though. I like to hear your stories. I think there is nothing wrong with it. I was just raised in California and I have aREAL HARD time making that psychological leap after being brainwashed all my life. Really. I mean literally they brainwash you in those schools there.

One thing I do know for sure though...If I ever go into the bad part of town, the Glock is going OC. No if's ands or buts about that.

The only thing that pisses me off is that my place of employment expressly forbids the carrying of firearms on the premises. Still trying to determine how best to deal with that.

bmeldrum

imported post

For me my firearm is typically on my hip any chance I get even when at home. For 8hrs it's in my vehicle, locked securely away (employer has a rule & i too love my job). It's within reaching distance at all times. Now when I'm done with school and get on with a fire department than I'll only be able to carry when I'm off duty. (maybe someone knows where to find the code/law, I was told it's federal law/offence to carry on an ambulance/fire truck).

For me, I'm LDS and in the elder's quorum presidency. I CC to church all the time.I OC when I go on visits, or home teaching.I get the same reaction from people: why do need to carry to church, blah blah. I usually respond back with a question: why are there locks on the lockers in the Temple? I know the members of my ward & I feel safe going into their homes, wonderful people but you just never know, that's why they always send or recommend you go two by two (like the missionaries). If I'm ever confronted by the bishop/stake president I'll do as they ask, until then I'm all for: don't ask, don't tell. I've sat in bishopric meetings while CC.

If I understand the code correctly, the person in charge/responsible, the owner, lessee, or person with lawful right of possession of the private residence; or a person with authority to act for the person or entity...

So to my knowledge in dealing with the LDS church that would person would be President Thomas S. Monson more specifically the Office of the Presiding Bishopric. But when it boils down to the ward/stake bldgs it's the Stake President who is the one in charge of those ward houses within that jursidiction so you'd have to be confronted/addressed by the bishop of that ward saying you're not allowed to carry blah blah, than if it's repeated it would probably at that point go to the stake president than either between the bishop himself or the stake president they could pursue a course of action. IMO they probably don't want have to deal with the LE's, courts, all the paperwork... so you'd be asked nicely, thanafter that possible church consequences (probabtion, disfellowship, maybe asking to turn over your recommend) than involving the authorities...

YoZUpZ

imported post

Luke 22:36...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Thats a good enough quote for me when people say "God will protect you when you're in church." :D

New to the forums btw, just got my xd9 sub-compact and have my CCW permit being processed, in the mean time I OC wherever I go :D

bmeldrum

imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
Luke 22:36...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Thats a good enough quote for me when people say "God will protect you when you're in church." :D

New to the forums btw, just got my xd9 sub-compact and have my CCW permit being processed, in the mean time I OC wherever I go :D

Welcome: xd's are great! I have one.

Just remember the basics: carry openly & utah unloaded, avoid trax/uta & other restricted areas, 1000ft fromschool zone. Good idea to carry a pamphlet with you in the event you get stopped or harassed by the public or LE's.