• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video footage of fight last night

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

Let me tell you a similar story. Many years ago while a copwith Honolulu PD I was off-duty and in a bar waiting for a friend so we couldpartake a drink or two. It was a working class bar where many Mexicans hanged out. Most of them were plasterers working in the building industry. I hear a little commotion and I turn around to see this bruiser of a guy walk up to another bruiser that was sitting down at a booth. The guy walking to him had a glass beer bottle with him when suddenly and without warning broke the bottle on this guy's face. I mean, full impact! The guy that got hit got up, a little wobbly, but lucid enough to return punches. Pretty soon the both were in a mean, dragged out fray with bottles being broken and table and chairs toppling all over the place. Actually it seemed like a fight put on by stunt men in a movie. I just was sitting on a stool at the bar and simply turned around to watch the malay with my two elbows on the bar totally enjoying the fight. Fellow HPD cops arrived and I told them what had happened. They hauled off the instigator after taking my statement. I was armed, but was not about to get involved. I was outweighed by about 100 lbs (combined) and I was not going to take any chances. It was rather entertaining thought. None were seriously hurt.

In your story you got involved. I was an *armed* cop and did *not* get involved. Best to leave it to the cops and if necessary stick around to give statements. *IF* however, a life is at stake, and you're armed, sure get involved any way you can especially if you know one is an innocent victim. I would have pulled out my 38, but only if I knew a life was in jeopardy.

OPS MARINE

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Well, if I see a guy stay in the fight after having a bottle broken over his face, I certainly would stay out of his reach. That's too much hoss for me.
Me, too. Look, the friend (no disrespect) ran his liability speaker waaay too much for me. I would have tried to stay as uninvolved as possible until the punchee took a few too many or some sort of weapon manifested (besides fists).

Relax, call the PD and be the best witness you can, but make sure the tool is ready for a moment's action.

-Beware the man with only one gun. He will know how to use it.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
i had to do some rereading, rewatching, and rethinking about these two guys!!

now im really starting to think that since white shirt guy started the whole thing, that blue shirt guy was well within his rights and his responsibility to defend his self against the attack, and he was doing just that!!

allowing the fist fight to play out untill the attacker lost, and he was loosing, then stopping the blue shirt guy, if he started to go beyond justsubduing his attacker, then you wouldnt have hadto get involved.
Exactly, if you listen carefully in the video, when the blue shirt guy throws him against the wall and is landing fists, you can hear me say something like "wow hes getting some good shots in". But he didnt stop... it went from self defense to vengeance.. which is why I ran up.

And to everyone still baggin on my friend for telling me to get my gun out lol.. for the last time, of course he was being dumb, but his reason was because the attacker had gone to his car, and then started walking toward my friend in a hostile manner while I was telling useph to get in the car. EVEN I WAS AFRAID I would have some gunshots placed through my rear window as I drove off. So don't rip on him too hard, he definitely felt threatened, as did I.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
Let me tell you a similar story. Many years ago while a copwith Honolulu PD I was off-duty and in a bar waiting for a friend so we couldpartake a drink or two. It was a working class bar where many Mexicans hanged out. Most of them were plasterers working in the building industry. I hear a little commotion and I turn around to see this bruiser of a guy walk up to another bruiser that was sitting down at a booth. The guy walking to him had a glass beer bottle with him when suddenly and without warning broke the bottle on this guy's face. I mean, full impact! The guy that got hit got up, a little wobbly, but lucid enough to return punches. Pretty soon the both were in a mean, dragged out fray with bottles being broken and table and chairs toppling all over the place. Actually it seemed like a fight put on by stunt men in a movie. I just was sitting on a stool at the bar and simply turned around to watch the malay with my two elbows on the bar totally enjoying the fight. Fellow HPD cops arrived and I told them what had happened. They hauled off the instigator after taking my statement. I was armed, but was not about to get involved. I was outweighed by about 100 lbs (combined) and I was not going to take any chances. It was rather entertaining thought. None were seriously hurt.

In your story you got involved. I was an *armed* cop and did *not* get involved. Best to leave it to the cops and if necessary stick around to give statements. *IF* however, a life is at stake, and you're armed, sure get involved any way you can especially if you know one is an innocent victim. I would have pulled out my 38, but only if I knew a life was in jeopardy.
If I was open carrying, I would have told the instigator to cool it 5 minutes before it happened, not in a threatening manner but enough to let him know that a possible off-duty leo was in his presence or would be coming soon enough if he continued. In your case that was not possible, it happened too fast. Although in my case I probably would not have ran up with a gun holstered in fear someone would grab it and I would be put in a dangerous position for the grabber or me.

edit: and btw, a persons head being choke slammed into a concrete wall is life threatening, I would have tried to stop the two any day of the week. I came up and the guys finger was in the guys eye socket, it was pretty hard to watch.

ghostrider

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
i had to do some rereading, rewatching, and rethinking about these two guys!!

now im really starting to think that since white shirt guy started the whole thing, that blue shirt guy was well within his rights and his responsibility to defend his self against the attack, and he was doing just that!!

allowing the fist fight to play out untill the attacker lost, and he was loosing, then stopping the blue shirt guy, if he started to go beyond justsubduing his attacker, then you wouldnt have hadto get involved.
Exactly, if you listen carefully in the video, when the blue shirt guy throws him against the wall and is landing fists, you can hear me say something like "wow hes getting some good shots in". But he didnt stop... it went from self defense to vengeance.. which is why I ran up.

And to everyone still baggin on my friend for telling me to get my gun out lol.. for the last time, of course he was being dumb, but his reason was because the attacker had gone to his car, and then started walking toward my friend in a hostile manner while I was telling useph to get in the car. EVEN I WAS AFRAID I would have some gunshots placed through my rear window as I drove off. So don't rip on him too hard, he definitely felt threatened, as did I.

I don't buy it. Your friend not only urged you to stop the car so he could confront the person (hoping all the while you would back him up with a firearm), but it even sounded like he tried to jump out of the car while you were pulling away.

Your friend has issues, and they have nothing to do with being noble.

If I had friends like that, we'd be driving seperate cars every time we went somewhere. Fools run toward trouble. It's one thing to try to deescalate a situation, but quite another to try to continue it when it's time to leave.