Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Governor's Inauguration

Post imported post

http://www.mcdonnellinaugural.com/swearing-in

The swearing-in ceremony of Robert F. McDonnell as the 71st Governor of Virginia will take place on Saturday, January 16, 2010, at 12 noon at the State Capitol in Richmond.

The ceremony will be open to the public. Gates will open at 9:00 a.m. at the 9th Street entrance to Capitol Square as well as just north of 13th Street and Bank Street on Governor Street between the Oliver Hill Building and the Jefferson Building.

Please arrive early to allow enough time to pass through security and get in place before the ceremony begins.

All attendees will be required to pass through a security screening. Prohibited items include: oversized bags, large purses, briefcases, book bags, and suitcases.

Please anticipate cold temperatures and be prepared for inclement weather on the day of the ceremony. Be sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes, as there is very limited seating and most attendees will need to stand.
    Anybody going to see the governor get sworn in? It's the Saturday before Lobby Day. I'm hoping to be there (still trying to convince the wife to tag along).

If the weather is too cold or nasty I'll just be CC'ing. But if it's not too bad I may try to tuck behind the jacket and OC.

Gotta love Virginia though - probably the only place where large purses and briefcases are not allowed but guns are. I had gotten an email from the campaign asking for volunteers to help with various parts of the ceremony including "security assistance." Hopefully the Capital police will have all the new people up to speed on the rules. We may have more of those funny encounters when people ask why someone gets to go through - b/c they're carrying a gun that's why.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

vt357 wrote:

The swearing-in ceremony of Robert F. McDonnell as the 71st Governor of Virginia will take place on Saturday, January 16, 2010, at 12 noon at the State Capitol in Richmond.

The ceremony will be open to the public. Gates will open at 9:00 a.m. at the 9th Street entrance to Capitol Square as well as just north of 13th Street and Bank Street on Governor Street between the Oliver Hill Building and the Jefferson Building.

Please arrive early to allow enough time to pass through security and get in place before the ceremony begins.

All attendees will be required to pass through a security screening. Prohibited items include: oversized bags, large purses, briefcases, book bags, and suitcases.

Please anticipate cold temperatures and be prepared for inclement weather on the day of the ceremony. Be sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes, as there is very limited seating and most attendees will need to stand.
    Anybody going to see the governor get sworn in? It's the Saturday before Lobby Day. I'm hoping to be there (still trying to convince the wife to tag along).

If the weather is too cold or nasty I'll just be CC'ing. But if it's not too bad I may try to tuck behind the jacket and OC.

Gotta love Virginia though - probably the only place where large purses and briefcases are not allowed but guns are. I had gotten an email from the campaign asking for volunteers to help with various parts of the ceremony including "security assistance." Hopefully the Capital police will have all the new people up to speed on the rules. We may have more of those funny encounters when people ask why someone gets to go through - b/c they're carrying a gun that's why.
    Yeah, I'm going.
    I got a very expensive looking engraved invitation in the mail a couple of weeks ago....to a public event

I haven't decided on the governors Ball yet. I hate wearing my Tux.:X

Post imported post

Post imported post

I got one too...guess they will invite anyone

I am going

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I got one too.

NOT going.

Also got the special inaugural program the other day, with ticket prices, and an offer for me to get my tickets through ticketmaster.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Yeah, I'm going.
    I got a very expensive looking engraved invitation in the mail a couple of weeks ago....to a public event

Anyone want to set a time/place to get together? I promise to carry this time

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I must give witness to this historic event.

Then the work begins.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

vt357 wrote:

Anyone attend the George Allen Inaugural in 1994?

Now that was cold!

Post imported post

Will be interesting to see how the screening goes.

Inside the Capital Building is the same as the GAB - no guns except by permit holders, OC or CC allowed.

I have never seen/heard of any restrictions on the grounds and do not think that such exists. Presuming that I am correct, no permit OC should be legal on the grounds, but not in the building. Will they have another check point at the Capital entrance?

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I agree my friend.I do not see any rule or regulation that would preclude "Lobby Day OC" at the inauguration. This should be be a real media intensive OC event, right Grapeshot?

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    I agree my friend.I do not see any rule or regulation that would preclude "Lobby Day OC" at the inauguration. This should be be a real media intensive OC event, right Grapeshot?
    I can only hope the media gets my "good side."

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Thundar wrote:

Yata hey
    You going to tie your shoes all day!

( @ )i

l l l l

Post imported post

Infidel wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Thundar wrote:

Yata hey
    You going to tie your shoes all day!

( @ )i

l l l l
    I wondered how long it would take someone to make the association.

I've had so many pictures taken from 6 o'clock, that nobody recognizes my face. :?

Yata hey

Post imported post

VaLiberty wrote:
    Anyone want to set a time/place to get together? I promise to carry this time
    Is there any coordination of VCDL or OCDO folks getting together for this, or are folks just going to show up willy nilly?

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    vt357 wrote:

Yeah, I'm going.

Haha....I got that too. I thought I was really special for all of like 3 minutes.

Post imported post

I got 2 seats in the bleachers for inauguration day!!

Going to take one of my 3 kids...they are actually fighting over going with me!!!

I think I will bring them to lobby day too!!

Might as well indoctrinate them into the thought that they CAN have an influence on their "representatives" early on. I didn't figure that out for several decades.

I think they are going to have a political fight on their hands during most of their lifetimes.

Post imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
    I got 2 seats in the bleachers for inauguration day!!

Going to take one of my 3 kids...they are actually fighting over going with me!!!

I think I will bring them to lobby day too!!

Might as well indoctrinate them into the thought that they CAN have an influence on their "representatives" early on. I didn't figure that out for several decades.

I think they are going to have a political fight on their hands during most of their lifetimes.
    Good for you!

Post imported post

Just got this via email.

Dear Friend,

Due to the last minute addition of extra bleachers, we are in a position to offer special friends seats at the Swearing-In for Virginia’s 71st Governor, the Hon. Robert McDonnell.

To sign up for these seats, please go to the official Inaugural website www.mcdonnellinaugural.com and provide the names of each individual you would like to attend (limit of 4). Your tickets will be waiting at the will call desk at Capitol Square. Please arrive by 10 a.m. to allow plenty of time to pick up your ticket and pass through security. These seats are first come first serve and the ceremony starts at Noon.

We look forward to seeing you at this historic event.

Best wishes,

The Inaugural Committee

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I would love to be in attendance but I'll be teaching in NoVa that day.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    You can always go to the AG's gala tomorrow night....Might be your last chance to see Nap in a tux

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    You can always go to the AG's gala tomorrow night....Might be your last chance to see Nap in a tux
    Yes, but will you be OCing.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    Yes, but will you be OCing.

Yata hey
    No!
    And of course I wouldn't think of cc'ing.
    But Kenny says Richmond is safe as Dunkle Hollar so I'm not worried

Post imported post

HELP:

I'mgaining confidence with the boldness of open carry, but doing so at the governor's inauguration, and passing through security with an open side-arm, is a real escalation for me.

My wife and I will be attending the inauguration.It's supposed to be a nice outing for us.My wifewill no doubtquestion my logic if I try to open carry for this; the LAST thing I need is to do it anyway ... ("trust me?!")..., and then get challenged, turned away, or heaven forbid anything worse (arrested by a mis-informed cop??). She's generally supportive of my exercising this right, but this would be a bad spot for me to make a tactical error.

FWIW, I also have a c/c permit. Any of you want to offer some reassurances on my confidence level, here? Any of you meeting up beforehand?

- Peter

Post imported post

HELP:

I'mgaining confidence with the boldness of open carry, but doing so at the governor's inauguration, and passing through security with an open side-arm, is a real escalation for me.

My wife and I will be attending the inauguration.It's supposed to be a nice outing for us.My wifewill no doubtquestion my logic if I try to open carry for this; the LAST thing I need is to do it anyway ... ("trust me?!")..., and then get challenged, turned away, or heaven forbid anything worse (arrested by a mis-informed cop??). She's generally supportive of my exercising this right, but this would be a bad spot for me to make a tactical error.

FWIW, I also have a c/c permit. Any of you want to offer some reassurances on my confidence level, here? Any of you meeting up beforehand?

- Peter

Post imported post

RPW wrote:
    HELP:

- Peter
    You won't get arrested but you will attract more attention that I think you want. If you have to carry, CC. My Opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast