• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor's Inauguration

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I would love to be in attendance but I'll be teaching in NoVa that day.
You can always go to the AG's gala tomorrow night....Might be your last chance to see Nap in a tux:(
Yes, but will you be OCing.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I would love to be in attendance but I'll be teaching in NoVa that day.
You can always go to the AG's gala tomorrow night....Might be your last chance to see Nap in a tux:(
Yes, but will you be OCing.

Yata hey
No!
And of course I wouldn't think of cc'ing. :uhoh:
But Kenny says Richmond is safe as Dunkle Hollar so I'm not worried:lol:

RPW

imported post

HELP:

I'mgaining confidence with the boldness of open carry, but doing so at the governor's inauguration, and passing through security with an open side-arm, is a real escalation for me.

My wife and I will be attending the inauguration.It's supposed to be a nice outing for us.My wifewill no doubtquestion my logic if I try to open carry for this; the LAST thing I need is to do it anyway ... ("trust me?!")..., and then get challenged, turned away, or heaven forbid anything worse (arrested by a mis-informed cop??). She's generally supportive of my exercising this right, but this would be a bad spot for me to make a tactical error.

FWIW, I also have a c/c permit. Any of you want to offer some reassurances on my confidence level, here? Any of you meeting up beforehand?

- Peter

RPW

imported post

HELP:

I'mgaining confidence with the boldness of open carry, but doing so at the governor's inauguration, and passing through security with an open side-arm, is a real escalation for me.

My wife and I will be attending the inauguration.It's supposed to be a nice outing for us.My wifewill no doubtquestion my logic if I try to open carry for this; the LAST thing I need is to do it anyway ... ("trust me?!")..., and then get challenged, turned away, or heaven forbid anything worse (arrested by a mis-informed cop??). She's generally supportive of my exercising this right, but this would be a bad spot for me to make a tactical error.

FWIW, I also have a c/c permit. Any of you want to offer some reassurances on my confidence level, here? Any of you meeting up beforehand?

- Peter

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

RPW wrote:
HELP:

- Peter
You won't get arrested but you will attract more attention that I think you want. If you have to carry, CC. My Opinion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
RPW wrote:
HELP:

- Peter
You won't get arrested but you will attract more attention that I think you want. If you have to carry, CC. My Opinion.
Will likely have my coat on hence CCing, but if it warms up the coat will come off.

Any security check points will already have confirmed that I am carrying and such is not on their list of not allowed items. Might I have a not too distant baby sitter - possibly, but that's OK too.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Forty minutes in line to get to the security check point - empty pockets - beep, beep - offered my CHP, they wanted to know where it was, said on my right hip - show it to me I was told - being just a little miffed at the questions and extra legal requests, I took my coat off - ended all discussion, but got lots of looks. Admitted without further ado, but did get a shadow for the next ten minutes or so.

Question: If cameras, recorders, drinks, food and guns et al are OK, what were they screening for - interesting exercise though.

Nice lady gave me her husband's reserve ticket (he's a Damnocrat) so got to sit in the bleachers - sure did beat standing all that time.

Lots of festivities, bands, horses etc. Lady that sang America was world class.

Now back to work and Lobby Day.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Forty minutes in line to get to the security check point - empty pockets - beep, beep - offered my CHP, they wanted to know where it was, said on my right hip - show it to me I was told - being just a little miffed at the questions and extra legal requests, I took my coat off - ended all discussion, but got lots of looks. Admitted without further ado, but did get a shadow for the next ten minutes or so.

Question: If cameras, recorders, drinks, food and guns et al are OK, what were they screening for - interesting exercise though.

Nice lady gave me her husband's reserve ticket (he's a Damnocrat) so got to sit in the bleachers - sure did beat standing all that time.

Yata hey
I couldn't see from where I was Grape, but the lady singing sounded like McDonnells daughter.
She has an unbelievable voice (Sang at the victory party) and is a knockout to boot. She's also an Ex-Marine!

I think this is the singing Daughter. Two of them look like twins.

v13.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
I couldn't see from where I was Grape, but the lady singing sounded like McDonnells daughter.
She has an unbelievable voice (Sang at the victory party) and is a knockout to boot. She's also an Ex-Marine!

I think this is the singing Daughter. Two of them look like twins.

v13.jpg
Not that one - she sang the National Anthem - commendable, but not great.

The show stopper was Millie Harris doing America The Beautiful like it should be done - fantastic voice!!! Would like to have a recording of that - classic.

Yata hey

Virginiaplanter

imported post

peter nap wrote:
The message of the day from the Capitol.

img_5542.jpg

I guess it's ok to murder then, since it's not listed. [size="+1"][size="+1"][size="+1"]Expressio unius est exclusio alterius[/size][/size][/size]

Virginian683

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Question: If cameras, recorders, drinks, food and guns et al are OK, what were they screening for
RPGs?

No wait....they were probably looking for "any object consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely."

The permit doesn't allow you to conceal that. :lol:

mpg9999

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Some of the event photos:
http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/a-photo-walk-around-the-inauguration/#more-2290

The first picture is a particularly obnoxious woman behind me in line, who went on at length about how no one should be able to carry a gun openly or otherwise, without a permit.

thumbs_a-silly-woman.jpg
Thanks for posting that. I work with one of the guys in that third picture in the VA Air National Guard. Is there any way I can get a full size image of that for him?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Some of the event photos:
http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/a-photo-walk-around-the-inauguration/#more-2290

The first picture is a particularly obnoxious woman behind me in line, who went on at length about how no one should be able to carry a gun openly or otherwise, without a permit.

thumbs_a-silly-woman.jpg
Thanks for posting that. I work with one of the guys in that third picture in the VA Air National Guard. Is there any way I can get a full size image of that for him?
This one?
img_6526.jpg

PM me with your email address and I'll send you a full sized one. These are unedited. I'll clean it up if you want.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
How did you guys like the flyover?
Very dramatic and the timing was superb!

Would hate to take a guess at what the total cost was for that though. :shock:

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:

Yata hey
Maybe Kaine arranged Obama to pay for it.

Did you see Kaine sneak out of the back door?
The flash off of his bald spot caught my eye!:shock:

kaine-sneaks.jpg

mpg9999

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:

Yata hey
You can thank this guy for the timing:

4280006236_3b00da79a5.jpg

I don't think there was any additional cost. We missed a drill due to flooding a few months ago, so this weekend some guardsmen came in to make up their drill and launch the jets, and the pilots get their flying hours that they missed that drill.

And appropriately enough, my friend is the one open carrying that fake M16.