• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor's Inauguration

vt357

imported post

http://www.mcdonnellinaugural.com/swearing-in

The swearing-in ceremony of Robert F. McDonnell as the 71st Governor of Virginia will take place on Saturday, January 16, 2010, at 12 noon at the State Capitol in Richmond.

The ceremony will be open to the public. Gates will open at 9:00 a.m. at the 9th Street entrance to Capitol Square as well as just north of 13th Street and Bank Street on Governor Street between the Oliver Hill Building and the Jefferson Building.

Please arrive early to allow enough time to pass through security and get in place before the ceremony begins.

All attendees will be required to pass through a security screening. Prohibited items include: oversized bags, large purses, briefcases, book bags, and suitcases.

Please anticipate cold temperatures and be prepared for inclement weather on the day of the ceremony. Be sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes, as there is very limited seating and most attendees will need to stand.

Anybody going to see the governor get sworn in? It's the Saturday before Lobby Day. I'm hoping to be there (still trying to convince the wife to tag along).

If the weather is too cold or nasty I'll just be CC'ing. But if it's not too bad I may try to tuck behind the jacket and OC.

Gotta love Virginia though - probably the only place where large purses and briefcases are not allowed but guns are. :cool: I had gotten an email from the campaign asking for volunteers to help with various parts of the ceremony including "security assistance." Hopefully the Capital police will have all the new people up to speed on the rules. We may have more of those funny encounters when people ask why someone gets to go through - b/c they're carrying a gun that's why. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

vt357 wrote:

The swearing-in ceremony of Robert F. McDonnell as the 71st Governor of Virginia will take place on Saturday, January 16, 2010, at 12 noon at the State Capitol in Richmond.

The ceremony will be open to the public. Gates will open at 9:00 a.m. at the 9th Street entrance to Capitol Square as well as just north of 13th Street and Bank Street on Governor Street between the Oliver Hill Building and the Jefferson Building.

Please arrive early to allow enough time to pass through security and get in place before the ceremony begins.

All attendees will be required to pass through a security screening. Prohibited items include: oversized bags, large purses, briefcases, book bags, and suitcases.

Please anticipate cold temperatures and be prepared for inclement weather on the day of the ceremony. Be sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes, as there is very limited seating and most attendees will need to stand.

Anybody going to see the governor get sworn in? It's the Saturday before Lobby Day. I'm hoping to be there (still trying to convince the wife to tag along).

If the weather is too cold or nasty I'll just be CC'ing. But if it's not too bad I may try to tuck behind the jacket and OC.

Gotta love Virginia though - probably the only place where large purses and briefcases are not allowed but guns are. :cool: I had gotten an email from the campaign asking for volunteers to help with various parts of the ceremony including "security assistance." Hopefully the Capital police will have all the new people up to speed on the rules. We may have more of those funny encounters when people ask why someone gets to go through - b/c they're carrying a gun that's why. :lol:
Yeah, I'm going.
I got a very expensive looking engraved invitation in the mail a couple of weeks ago....to a public event:uhoh:

I haven't decided on the governors Ball yet. I hate wearing my Tux.:X

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I got one too.

NOT going.

Also got the special inaugural program the other day, with ticket prices, and an offer for me to get my tickets through ticketmaster.

VaLiberty

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Yeah, I'm going.
I got a very expensive looking engraved invitation in the mail a couple of weeks ago....to a public event:uhoh:

Anyone want to set a time/place to get together? I promise to carry this time :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I must give witness to this historic event. :)

Then the work begins.

Yata hey

Repeater

imported post

vt357 wrote:

Anyone attend the George Allen Inaugural in 1994?

Now that was cold!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Will be interesting to see how the screening goes.

Inside the Capital Building is the same as the GAB - no guns except by permit holders, OC or CC allowed.

I have never seen/heard of any restrictions on the grounds and do not think that such exists. Presuming that I am correct, no permit OC should be legal on the grounds, but not in the building. Will they have another check point at the Capital entrance?

Yata hey

Thundar

imported post

I agree my friend.I do not see any rule or regulation that would preclude "Lobby Day OC" at the inauguration. This should be be a real media intensive OC event, right Grapeshot?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
I agree my friend.I do not see any rule or regulation that would preclude "Lobby Day OC" at the inauguration. This should be be a real media intensive OC event, right Grapeshot?
I can only hope the media gets my "good side." :lol:

Yata hey

Infidel

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Yata hey

You going to tie your shoes all day! :lol:

( @ )i

l l l l

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Infidel wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Yata hey
You going to tie your shoes all day! :lol:

( @ )i

l l l l
I wondered how long it would take someone to make the association. :)

I've had so many pictures taken from 6 o'clock, that nobody recognizes my face. :?

Yata hey

VaLiberty

imported post

VaLiberty wrote:
Anyone want to set a time/place to get together? I promise to carry this time :)
Is there any coordination of VCDL or OCDO folks getting together for this, or are folks just going to show up willy nilly?

richarcm

imported post

peter nap wrote:
vt357 wrote:

Yeah, I'm going.

Haha....I got that too. I thought I was really special for all of like 3 minutes. :cool:

Ric in Richmond

imported post

I got 2 seats in the bleachers for inauguration day!!

Going to take one of my 3 kids...they are actually fighting over going with me!!!

I think I will bring them to lobby day too!!

Might as well indoctrinate them into the thought that they CAN have an influence on their "representatives" early on. I didn't figure that out for several decades.

I think they are going to have a political fight on their hands during most of their lifetimes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
I got 2 seats in the bleachers for inauguration day!!

Going to take one of my 3 kids...they are actually fighting over going with me!!!

I think I will bring them to lobby day too!!

Might as well indoctrinate them into the thought that they CAN have an influence on their "representatives" early on. I didn't figure that out for several decades.

I think they are going to have a political fight on their hands during most of their lifetimes.
Good for you!:)

Ric in Richmond

imported post

Just got this via email.

Dear Friend,

Due to the last minute addition of extra bleachers, we are in a position to offer special friends seats at the Swearing-In for Virginia’s 71st Governor, the Hon. Robert McDonnell.

To sign up for these seats, please go to the official Inaugural website www.mcdonnellinaugural.com and provide the names of each individual you would like to attend (limit of 4). Your tickets will be waiting at the will call desk at Capitol Square. Please arrive by 10 a.m. to allow plenty of time to pick up your ticket and pass through security. These seats are first come first serve and the ceremony starts at Noon.

We look forward to seeing you at this historic event.

Best wishes,

The Inaugural Committee

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I would love to be in attendance but I'll be teaching in NoVa that day.
You can always go to the AG's gala tomorrow night....Might be your last chance to see Nap in a tux:(