• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dog encounter on a hike today

JesseL

imported post

Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV wrote:
In terms of loose dogs -- unless they are feral, the owner is wholly responsible for what happens to them when they are out of his control. Many folks who have moved to Yavapai County have found that out the hard way when their dogs have been shot and killed by ranchers: of course, they call the Sheriff's Office, and an officer (usually an Animal Control Officer) responds. They often demand the citation of, and/or arrest of, the rancher who shot their dog. They are often quite surprised (and not happy, I might add) when *THEY* are cited for failing to control their dog. They find, to their eternal amazement, that the rancher had the right under Arizona law to kill their dog -- as it was threatening his livestock. $130+ dollar lesson for them.
I recall seeing a public notice to that effect on the front door of the Skull Valley General Store. I can just imagine the series of calls that prompted that.

All my animal troubles have been with coyotes and javelina.

The coyotes like to hang around and eyeball my 3-year-old son. I can chase them off but they don't really take off like they should, they're very nonchalant and indifferent to human hostility and even worse when my wife tries to chase them off. They've been so bold as to take a s___ on my doormat.

The javelina are worse. They'll root around right outside the house and do their best to chase me off. You've practically got to beat them with a stick to convince them to move on. If I wasn't (barely) inside city limits and my neighbors were a little farther off, I'd be having an Arizona style luau.

It really seems that some of the local wildlife has gone too long without regular reminders of who lives at the top of the food chain.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

JesseL wrote:
Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV wrote:
In terms of loose dogs -- unless they are feral, the owner is wholly responsible for what happens to them when they are out of his control. Many folks who have moved to Yavapai County have found that out the hard way when their dogs have been shot and killed by ranchers: of course, they call the Sheriff's Office, and an officer (usually an Animal Control Officer) responds. They often demand the citation of, and/or arrest of, the rancher who shot their dog. They are often quite surprised (and not happy, I might add) when *THEY* are cited for failing to control their dog. They find, to their eternal amazement, that the rancher had the right under Arizona law to kill their dog -- as it was threatening his livestock. $130+ dollar lesson for them.
I recall seeing a public notice to that effect on the front door of the Skull Valley General Store. I can just imagine the series of calls that prompted that.

All my animal troubles have been with coyotes and javelina.

The coyotes like to hang around and eyeball my 3-year-old son. I can chase them off but they don't really take off like they should, they're very nonchalant and indifferent to human hostility and even worse when my wife tries to chase them off. They've been so bold as to take a s___ on my doormat.

The javelina are worse. They'll root around right outside the house and do their best to chase me off. You've practically got to beat them with a stick to convince them to move on. If I wasn't (barely) inside city limits and my neighbors were a little farther off, I'd be having an Arizona style luau.

It really seems that some of the local wildlife has gone too long without regular reminders of who lives at the top of the food chain.
Legal to bowhunt?

imported post

JesseL wrote:
N6ATF wrote:

Legal to bowhunt?
Gotta have a tag for the javelina, but I suppose it would work for the 'yotes.

If I had a tag I could practically bayonet the javelina. Ornery little cusses.
Up here in our neck of the woods, the three S's tend to prevail: shoot, shovel, and shut up about it.

Great way of dealing with nuisance Javelina. Sometimes there's just too many of them to eat (and I don't really care for Javelina much anyway).

I remember we used to have Coyotes coming around too close when we lived near Tucson. A shot that nicked the ear of the pack leader took care of that. They never came anywhere near our trailer again. Of course, we were well outside of any city limits (and people were used to hearing gunfire out in the desert in that area -- hunting, as well as a range a few miles away).

Popping a few 'Yotes with an air rifle might encourage them away. Not so with the Javelina -- claymores might work better.

Now if I could just sleep.

curtm1911

imported post

JesseL,

Harvest, PM me and I have friends enough, we can dispose of any you can Harvest. Were it me, I'd not have to ever shop again, except for veggies and side dishes.

ixtow,

I can speak dog, but you are suggesting something foolish. Been There, Done That. No shots fired or dead dogs.....yet. Do Not Give that advice to Novices. I do not say this lightly either, what you are saying WILL get someone hurt. Shooting should be a LAST resort, but pushing the envelope can and will go wrong, somewhere, sometime, but it will. Know your limitations. Flame away if you want.

JesseL

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
JesseL,

Harvest, PM me and I have friends enough, we can dispose of any you can Harvest. Were it me, I'd not have to ever shop again, except for veggies and side dishes.
Oh, I've got no problem with eating the smelly little bastards - I just haven't worked out the best way to harvest them without ticking off the neighbors or landing in jail.

I could almost seriously consider a boar spear.

100_3965.jpg

armyman29340

imported post

Um, sorry to ask what may be perceived as a silly question, but I live in South Carolina. Out Wildlife guys had the bright idea to bring in Coyotes to help with the Deer population (brilliant right?)...guess what? We now have a Coyote problem. They run around in the City sometimes, bother hunters, and are eyeballing kids.

But what is a javelina? Never heard of that critter.

JesseL

imported post

armyman29340 wrote:
Um, sorry to ask what may be perceived as a silly question, but I live in South Carolina. Out Wildlife guys had the bright idea to bring in Coyotes to help with the Deer population (brilliant right?)...guess what? We now have a Coyote problem. They run around in the City sometimes, bother hunters, and are eyeballing kids.

But what is a javelina? Never heard of that critter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peccary

They're pig-like critters that range from 30-70 lbs around here, mostly eat things like prickly pear cactus and acorns, but they love flower bulbs and dog food too; they run in herds from three to over a dozen individuals, they have long and sharp upper and lower canine teeth, terrible vision, and a nasty temperament.

I've never heard of them killing a human, but I have heard about a lot of serious injuries.