Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Save your targets?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    My CCW SC CWP instructor taught, 'Save your targets as proof of skill and training.'

    When I moved to Wisconsin and gave up my CWP I also disposed of perhaps a thousand B-27 (black) targets. I don't think I ever forgot to bring one home from the range.

    The concern there, with permitted concealed carry only, was what a reasonable man might do to prepare to go armed in public. Please do not allow that concern to arise in Wisconsin, that enjoys un-permitted open carry.

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA ******* God damn the Obamination.



  2. #2
    McX
    Guest

    Post imported post

    So Doug, does this mean if we have to shoot in self defense we have to drag the bad guy around with us?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Either that or your signed permission slip from THE WISCONSIN PATRIOTS, NRA assiliate.

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA ******* God damn the Obamination

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran Running Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    431

    Post imported post

    I've been saving my targets for years. I also write the details of the session (date, distance, techniques being practiced, whether I was wearing my glasses or not, etc.)on them and my accuracy is noticeably worse when I haven't practiced for a time. :shock:
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

    No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

  5. #5
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    Just saving targets alone won't do much good. Running Wolf's detailed notes are at least more instructive. Look at these 15 shots I took a month ago. Were they taken at 10 feet, 50 feet? In 10 seconds? 60 seconds? Just looking at the target tells you none of this.

    Can anyone think of ways in which saved target might work against you? For example, I often practice head shots-- could a prosecutor use my targets to convince a jury that I intended to kill?
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    My CCW SC CWP instructor taught, 'Save your targets as proof of skill and training.'

    [ ... ]

    Please do not allow that concern to arise in Wisconsin, that enjoys un-permitted open carry.
    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be asrmed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA ******* God damn the Obamination.

  7. #7
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    My CCW SC CWP instructor taught, 'Save your targets as proof of skill and training.'

    [ ...]

    Please do not allow that concern to arise in Wisconsin, that enjoys un-permitted open carry.
    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be asrmed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA ******* God damn the Obamination.
    Why don't you explain why you believe "proof of skill and training" is somehow different in one state versus another.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    No gun zone, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    239

    Post imported post

    I kept my first targets for a while, just to show a few people when I first got into guns. I still had the "this is new and a lot of fun" mentality with shooting and not "work to get better". I kept a few silhouettes with my better groupings because for some reason I felt I had to prove to others that I could shoot straight. Yeah, I know, stupid reasons, but they were my reasons when I first started.

    Now, I don't usually save my targets. Just a waste of space in my mind.

    Besides, just because you say your target is from 25ft rapid fire doesn't mean there's actual proof that's what it was. Could just as easily be 10ft with slow fire. I can't see it holding water as evidence in court, for or against you.

    I know how I usually shoot, and I can tell if I'm having a good or less-than-my-best range day. I don't need to compare to other days.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Little Chute, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    87

    Post imported post

    I have a few. I saved this one, though... From my Marlin 795, 4x magnification, windy, outdoors, 50 yards, 50 rounds:




    Best group I've shot yet. I'm getting much better with these things. Takes practice, and a class really did help tremendously.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    How'd you get those rounds in that mag?

    thelongone13 wrote:
    I have a few. I saved this one, though... From my Marlin 795, 4x magnification, windy, outdoors, 50 yards, 50 rounds:




    Best group I've shot yet. I'm getting much better with these things. Takes practice, and a class really did help tremendously.
    - What da hay?

    Keep Calm and Carry On

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    I save sometargets, but for a different reason. I handload my ammo.

    I only save my rifle targets that have impressive grouping on them, and I also write down the load data, temperature, barometric pressure, and RH on them in case I ever decide to shoot a rifle match a can match my loads to the conditions.

    I do not save silhouette targets because I can load ammo better than my abilities with a handgun.
    I heard the reason that silhouette targets are now printed in blue instead of black is due to a lawyer for the family of a police shooting victim had swayed a jury that by saying the police shooting black silhouette targets it is conditioning them to shoot black men. Has anyone else heard this, or have any cites to it?





  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Little Chute, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    87

    Post imported post

    Teej wrote:
    How'd you get those rounds in that mag?

    thelongone13 wrote:
    I have a few. I saved this one, though... From my Marlin 795, 4x magnification, windy, outdoors, 50 yards, 50 rounds:




    Best group I've shot yet. I'm getting much better with these things. Takes practice, and a class really did help tremendously.
    Well, it did take a LOT of strength and effort...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •