• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Save your targets?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

My CCW SC CWP instructor taught, 'Save your targets as proof of skill and training.'

When I moved to Wisconsin and gave up my CWP I also disposed of perhaps a thousand B-27 (black) targets. I don't think I ever forgot to bring one home from the range.

The concern there, with permitted concealed carry only, was what a reasonable man might do to prepare to go armed in public. Please do not allow that concern to arise in Wisconsin, that enjoys un-permitted open carry.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ God damn the Obamination.

M

McX

imported post

So Doug, does this mean if we have to shoot in self defense we have to drag the bad guy around with us?:lol:

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've been saving my targets for years. I also write the details of the session (date, distance, techniques being practiced, whether I was wearing my glasses or not, etc.)on them and my accuracy is noticeably worse when I haven't practiced for a time. :shock:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Just saving targets alone won't do much good. Running Wolf's detailed notes are at least more instructive. Look at these 15 shots I took a month ago. Were they taken at 10 feet, 50 feet? In 10 seconds? 60 seconds? Just looking at the target tells you none of this.

Can anyone think of ways in which saved target might work against you? For example, I often practice head shots-- could a prosecutor use my targets to convince a jury that I intended to kill?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
My CCW SC CWP instructor taught, 'Save your targets as proof of skill and training.'

[ ... ]

Please do not allow that concern to arise in Wisconsin, that enjoys un-permitted open carry.
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be asrmed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ God damn the Obamination.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

[ ...]

Please do not allow that concern to arise in Wisconsin, that enjoys un-permitted open carry.
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be asrmed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ God damn the Obamination.
Why don't you explain why you believe "proof of skill and training" is somehow different in one state versus another.

gollbladder13

imported post

I kept my first targets for a while, just to show a few people when I first got into guns. I still had the "this is new and a lot of fun" mentality with shooting and not "work to get better". I kept a few silhouettes with my better groupings because for some reason I felt I had to prove to others that I could shoot straight. Yeah, I know, stupid reasons, but they were my reasons when I first started.

Now, I don't usually save my targets. Just a waste of space in my mind.

Besides, just because you say your target is from 25ft rapid fire doesn't mean there's actual proof that's what it was. Could just as easily be 10ft with slow fire. I can't see it holding water as evidence in court, for or against you.

I know how I usually shoot, and I can tell if I'm having a good or less-than-my-best range day. I don't need to compare to other days.

thelongone13

imported post

I have a few. I saved this one, though... From my Marlin 795, 4x magnification, windy, outdoors, 50 yards, 50 rounds:

105_0638.jpg

Best group I've shot yet. I'm getting much better with these things. Takes practice, and a class really did help tremendously.

Teej

imported post

How'd you get those rounds in that mag? :D

thelongone13 wrote:
I have a few. I saved this one, though... From my Marlin 795, 4x magnification, windy, outdoors, 50 yards, 50 rounds:

105_0638.jpg

Best group I've shot yet. I'm getting much better with these things. Takes practice, and a class really did help tremendously.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I save sometargets, but for a different reason. I handload my ammo.

I only save my rifle targets that have impressive grouping on them, and I also write down the load data, temperature, barometric pressure, and RH on them in case I ever decide to shoot a rifle match a can match my loads to the conditions.

I do not save silhouette targets because I can load ammo better than my abilities with a handgun.
I heard the reason that silhouette targets are now printed in blue instead of black is due to a lawyer for the family of a police shooting victim had swayed a jury that by saying the police shooting black silhouette targets it is conditioning them to shoot black men. Has anyone else heard this, or have any cites to it?

thelongone13

imported post

Teej wrote:
How'd you get those rounds in that mag? :D

thelongone13 wrote:

105_0638.jpg

Well, it did take a LOT of strength and effort... :lol::lol: