• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

regarding felons and cpls

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I have a friend who, when we were younger, was convicted of a felony, I recently receieved my cpl, he told me he can not be around me if I choose to carry due to the fact he is a felon, if we were to get into an LEO while he was in my vehicle, he would get a automatic 5 year bit for being "in possesssion" of a firearm.

my question is, can my friend get a fedral firearms charge for being around me while I am concealed carrying? technically he should not even know I am carrying a pistol and I should not know he is a felon? help? anyone?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
I have a friend who, when we were younger, was convicted of a felony, I recently receieved my cpl, he told me he can not be around me if I choose to carry due to the fact he is a felon, if we were to get into an LEO while he was in my vehicle, he would get a automatic 5 year bit for being "in possesssion" of a firearm.

my question is, can my friend get a fedral firearms charge for being around me while I am concealed carrying? technically he should not even know I am carrying a pistol and I should not know he is a felon? help? anyone?

The law states that he cannot have access or have possession.

If it's always on your person, your friend is good to go.

WARCHILD

imported post

I have the same situation with a relative, and had verified it with Sgt. Deasy of the MSP. I don't have his reply any more but it basically stated the same thing...It must be on your "body" when a felon is with you. Even in a vehicle, it can not be in the console or glovebox (passengers can access).

THway

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
kyleplusitunes wrote:

The law states that he cannot have access or have possession.

If it's always on your person, your friend is good to go.
Zig is correct, a felon cannot own or posses a firearm or weapon.

Here is my question to kyle, IS your friend still on probation from the felony? IF he is still on probation, then he cannot be around anyone in possession of a firearm. IF he is, and is charged with violating his probation, then he may be imprisoned for the remainder of his original sentence.

In order to start your probation, you must first sign several forms, which pretty much says that you are being imprisoned, just not in an actual jail or prison. If you really want to know, you could just call the director of Probation Services and ask them for a brochure outlining the probation restrictions.