• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the continuing crisis

cscitney87

imported post

The OP is absolutely correct. Also to consider- it's a standard "Better safe/sorry" situation here. You bulk up and wait for the crash.. It'll probably happen, but even if it doesn't- it's not like you wasted your money... That's the real lesson here.

The idea of a "Fire-Sale Everything Must Go" SHTF Economic Crisis is rather romantic for the renegade soul with a pistol.. Having to crouch and duck your way from the house to the bug-out point. Crossing paths with foes and joining forces with other rouge citizens. I try not to day-dream- but day-dreaming has nothing to do with solid planning.

CarryOpen

imported post

We have many legal citizens who are also criminals. If another depression ever comes you will see the true hearts of men and it won't be just one ethnicity that turns to crime. Clint Smith says it best - what your target will look like is unknown, no one can tell you what it will look like so stop trying to generalize it. I'm not afraid of Mexicans (illegal or otherwise) any more than I am any man who needs to feed his family or wants to take advantage of the weak.

All that being said, I do not believe that we are on the verge of a collapse, I do not believe that we will have a depression.

Someone once told me that every generation believes that theirs will be the last. Whatever, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and if the economy collapses I'll improvise, adapt and overcome just like I have with every other problem I've solved in my life.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
We have many legal citizens who are also criminals. If another depression ever comes you will see the true hearts of men and it won't be just one ethnicity that turns to crime. Clint Smith says it best - what your target will look like is unknown, no one can tell you what it will look like so stop trying to generalize it. I'm not afraid of Mexicans (illegal or otherwise) any more than I am any man who needs to feed his family or wants to take advantage of the weak.

All that being said, I do not believe that we are on the verge of a collapse, I do not believe that we will have a depression.

Someone once told me that every generation believes that theirs will be the last. Whatever, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and if the economy collapses I'll improvise, adapt and overcome just like I have with every other problem I've solved in my life.

You do realize, don't you, that your statement I highlighted in bold exposes you as an anti-government extremist? How dare you defy government authority to solve problems for you!

:uhoh:

CarryOpen

imported post

And here I thought it exposed me as a reasonable and rational person... :?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CarryOpen wrote:

Too late for that... You are a member of this forum.
006-%5BLaughing%5D-%5BEmoticonKing.com%5D.gif

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
It did. Which is why to those at the extreme end of massive government you appear to be anti-government!

LoL, naturally, we know better, CarryOpen, so no worries. Personally, I think those who're leadingthe "government can fix anything" approach are still trying to prove something to themselves and others. Basic competence, perhaps. I certainly think they have unresolved control issues, in that they neither respect nor trust American citizens to be responsible citizens - again, that sounds the "major issues here" horns.

And there are certainly some citizens who cannot be trusted. There's your "special interest group. I'm talking about those who aren't law-abiding. The criminals. Government needs to focus on them, that small, less than 5% of our population, not the 20%-45% of us who are law-abiding OCers and CCers who've have, and continue to demonstrate their trustworthiness, nor the remainder of the law-abiding populace.

Boy, it sure is easy for our Government to focus on the wrong group of people, isn't it? Sheesh...

Flashbang

imported post

Similar thinking is why I began OC a few months ago. Like most areas, mine has a fair number of what I call "functional pillheads". They can, generally, hold down a job to support their habit. The job market has tightened, yet the habit remains. We have seen an increase in theft and home invasions, some daylight with the family at home. Folks have been threatened at gunpoint and beaten. One elderly lady spent time in ICU due to her encounter with a BG. I had already installed cameras, motion lights, and sensors on my property. As things get worse, I believe they will become more brazen and I intend to be ready for whatever may come. I don't CC as I refuse to ask permission when I should not have to and I prefer not to break the current law. I do hope to help change that law, however.