• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the continuing crisis

K

KansasScout

imported post

It has become increasingly clear that the economic situation will only get worse. Commentators are increasingly recongnizing the probabilities of at least a double dip recession and several prominant economists and analyists are warning of a very deep depression exceeding that of the one in the twenties and thirties.

Even Nancy Pelosi recognizes that civil unrest is quite likely now. When our urbanized and badly prepared society hits that wall you can be sure that it will resemble South Africa and Mexico City. Kidnappings and robberies will skyrocket.

We have millions of illegal Mexicans here and many of them are already criminals. What do you think they will do when (or if) the depression hits?

It is when (or if) this happens that OC will become absolutely necessary for every day living. It is then that you will actually want people to feel the presence of that cold steel sitting on your hip. You won't care if they feel uncomfortable.

So, this is why OC is important to me. Not so much now. But if and when things get very worse, no policeman can protect you. No policeman will be there to stop the marauding gangs that sweep into your neighborhood to rob and plunder.

I do think that many many neighborhoods will find willing men and women who will bring out the shotguns and deer rifles and clear these BG's out fast. Just like in New Orleans and Louisiana and Mississippi after Katrina.

Oh yeah. No LEO is taking my guns away. Period.

So this is why OC is important for us. All I can say is may God have mercy on us. I hope after these years of Liberal Democratic control, that Americans rise up and clean house. It's not just Democrats. It's both parties filled with too many corrupt office holders who have sold us out to big multi national corporations.

I just hope there is something left for us to put back together.

Seniordep2010

imported post

Wow I've never thought of it like that, that's a very good observation.

It makes me think too..I'm thinking of selling my Marlin 30-30 in favor of getting a handgun to OC, and protect the house/vehicle. Should I do it? Or go a few more months without a firearm to protect me while I'm out and about. Shoot even weilding my Mossberg 12ga with a 24 barrel is quite hard to do in the house, so I really need the pistol for HD.

Anyways, thanks for posting this, it's really some to think about and it could become reality and everyone should be prepared. Especailly when the theives turn into zombies. :what:

K

KansasScout

imported post

Keep your rifle. If things get bad, a long arm is much better than a pistol. You should try to find a way to keep the rifle and get a hand gun. Find a used one ora less expensive handgun. It might not be, and need not be the flavor of the month brand or caliber but there are less expensive choices out there worth having. Ruger has some less expensive but worthy pistols I recommend. There are some less expensive 1911's out there now.

That 30/30 would do you well in a crisis. Next best thing to an assault rifle IMO

K

KansasScout

imported post

Nearly forgot to say this...sling your rifle and shotgun. It will better enable you to open carry without haphazardly swinging your gun around incrowed places which WILL bring a reaction.

:cool:

Seniordep2010

imported post

You are very true. I've been in the market for a handgun for a long time and have done alot of researching. But most of the stuuf I've found that I liked and have determined is a quality firearm is about $500. What's a good pistol/revolver that has great quality and is very dependable under that price range? And atleast 9mm or larger...

Seniordep2010

imported post

KansasScout wrote:
Nearly forgot to say this...sling your rifle and shotgun. It will better enable you to open carry without haphazardly swinging your gun around incrowed places which WILL bring a reaction.

:cool:
Well my Mossy has a sling. :cool:

K

KansasScout

imported post

Ruger makes a 45 auto pistol.My Stepson has one and it works great. "cheap" too . Check them out online

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Col. Cooper, the great Pistoleer, and fan of the 1911, said a pistol is only to give you a chance to get to your rifle.
Which brings about the irony of those who will stomp you for suggesting that you just skip that and OC your rifle...

But I do concede, a Saiga .308 with a full mag is some heavy hardware to lug about...

KansasMustang

imported post

KansasScout, my sentiments exactly !!! And when it happens, not if at this point I'm afraid, I'll be the one sounding boots and saddles and mounting up. But Dang,,I'm gettin too old to fight,,again.

KansasMustang

imported post

Seniordep2010 wrote:
You are very true. I've been in the market for a handgun for a long time and have done alot of researching. But most of the stuuf I've found that I liked and have determined is a quality firearm is about $500. What's a good pistol/revolver that has great quality and is very dependable under that price range? And atleast 9mm or larger...
.45 cal Springfield XD got mine for $495. Might have to pay just a bit more now, but the finest pistol I've ever fired.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I do not think there is a Hi-Point pistol made that cost's more than $200.00

I go tmy GF a Hi-Point 9mm, and it has been a very reliable piece, they are not pretty, they are lacking features, and they are heavy, clunky and not easily stripped for cleaning. But they have a lifetime warranty and can be had for next to nothing.

They are available in 9mm, .40 & .45

TOF

imported post

XD, Glock, M&P semi auto's and S&W, Ruger and Taurus revolvers are all effective weapons. Pick one that fits your pocketbook without selling the 30-30.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Seniordep2010 wrote:

You might look into some of the olderC&R models. I've got a old mil/LE CZ 82 9mm (Makarov 9x18) that has been very dependable and very accurate. Best thing about it is the ammo is readily available from online suppliers, unlike the Ruger ammo (9x19). I usually buy the Mak FMJ rounds in bulk.

You might be able to get one for under $300.

TiP

imported post

Might I humbly suggest a TTC/Tokarev? At $200, I'd definitely consider it a bargain, and the ammo, at ~$14 per box of 70, is definitely economical too. I use one as my daily carry gun, when I'm not in the mood to carry the CZ-52 (uses the same round, 7.62x25). Good ballistics too.

Juggernaut

imported post

KansasScout wrote:
Keep your rifle. If things get bad, a long arm is much better than a pistol. You should try to find a way to keep the rifle and get a hand gun. Find a used one ora less expensive handgun. It might not be, and need not be the flavor of the month brand or caliber but there are less expensive choices out there worth having. Ruger has some less expensive but worthy pistols I recommend. There are some less expensive 1911's out there now.

That 30/30 would do you well in a crisis. Next best thing to an assault rifle IMO

This article gave me a different perspective about long gunsvs thehandgunduring an economic collapse.

look at"PART III: GUNS, AMMO AND OTHER GEAR"

http://james4america.wordpress.com/2009/02/17/surviving-an-economic-collapse-a-prespective-from-ne-who-went-through-it-in-argentina/

The whole article is a good read though.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

AK-47 pistols can be had at around $400 shipped. Add a sling and you're set for whatever you come across. You can carry it with a carry permit (check local laws first). Ammo is at around $0.20 /round right now too.

M

McX

imported post

carry my hipoint .40 large frame every day at work. i do tend to agree with current observations here; the pendelum will indeed swing, and crime will catch back up. the lull in my opinion is caused by the increase in gun ownership, cc permits going through the roof in numbers, more and more armed homeowners, and ofcourse the social programs that guarentee some people don't have to work, just collect money. if that changes, you all know what will come.