• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another pro gun person gone

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

http://news.oldva.org/uncategorized/a-final-farewell-to-johnny-adams/

This afternoon, I got a call from my daughter. She said she had just heard Johnny Adams had died and knew we were friends.

I hadn’t seen Johnny for a couple of years. I had tried to keep up with him but had no idea he had relapsed. Even so, Johnny was perhaps the best friend I’ve ever had.

Many years ago, I was working as a consultant to a computer company in Richmond. They had a retail outlet and Johnny walked in one day. This was before Microsoft had released Access. He needed a database and knew nothing about computers. I took him back to the office I was using and showed him a law enforcement program I had written. He was hooked.

Little did I know that he would become a computer junkie. As time went by, I gave him software, computers, accessories and troubleshooting help. He was on every outdoor and hunting board around.

I Deer hunted on his farm and we stayed in touch until I got sick. Johnny was one of the most ethical and successful hunters I knew. He was also the most kind hearted person I’ve ever met. You’d never know it when you met him the first time. He could sound gruff when he wanted, which was often…but it was all show. He was a genuinely good person.

He was also a strong supporter of our second amendment rights. When he was trying to gather as much cash as he could to build his house, I bought a couple of guns from him. They will always be cherished possessions. He was forced to carry a Glock and called once to ask how you shot them if you couldn’t change the grips to fit. I made my usual Glock jokes then told him to use moleskin to change the pressure points on the grip. His combat shooting improved at once. He did get a fair amount of ribbing about his blister gun though.

Johnny Adams was full of surprises. He loved Hound Hunting. He also agreed with me that ten percent were slobs and were ruining it for the ethical hunters. Several years ago when the Sunday hunting controversy had started again, Johnny jolted me by telling me he didn’t want Sunday hunting. He said there should be a day in the week you could be out with the family, without someone running a pack of dogs by.

When HBO was making the mini series, John Adams, I took Johnny to the back lot. He walked in and his eyes got wide while he said, ” There’s 5 acres in this building”. I think he chuckled to himself, as I took him around and introduced him to the movie executives as “John Adams”.

He had a hunting lease that he let me shoot on during the off season. I took a group of movie people to introduce them to shooting. When we went, they were borderline anti gun, when we came back, they were solidly pro gun.

1169__320x240_shoot6.jpg

A couple of years ago, after Jimmy Hayes died, I emailed Johnny and told him to take care of himself because I was running out of friends fast. He just laughed.

As the years went by, I developed heart trouble and without knowing it, diabetes. I was a little shocked when he called me one day just to talk, and told me he had throat cancer. He faced it head on just like he did with everything in his life.

Last summer, I was finally getting to the point where I could function a little, and started trying to find out how he was doing. I called his wife and she told me he was in remission. That was music to my ears. I told her I’d get down to see him soon. As with most things, I kept putting it off. Now it’s too late. Hopefully Johnny understands.

Johnny was a hunter, fisherman and loved the outdoors as much as anyone I’ve known. The house he built on his family home place, oozed with his trophies and family memorabilia. He loved to introduce kids to outdoor sports and bought one a shotgun. Heaven has a special place for people like him.

Getting older isn’t like the Geritol commercials. It’s not all fun loving elderly people, dancing on cruise ships. In addition to dealing with my own mortality, I have to say goodbye to cherished friends far too often.

Johnny, I’ll remember the good times, regret the time lost and try not to think about not seeing you again.

Godspeed my friend !

curtiswr

imported post

Been meaning to send you a private message about this... not sure if I need to refresh my cache/cookies/whatever:

I follow Old VA on Twitter and whenever I click a link to a new post I get a "page not found" error. I thought it might be exclusive to Twitter but I just tried to click the link here and the same thing happened.

Do you think this problem could be on my end with not clearing my cache/cookies after the host change?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Curtis wrote:
Been meaning to send you a private message about this... not sure if I need to refresh my cache/cookies/whatever:

I follow Old VA on Twitter and whenever I click a link to a new post I get a "page not found" error. I thought it might be exclusive to Twitter but I just tried to click the link here and the same thing happened.

Do you think this problem could be on my end with not clearing my cache/cookies after the host change?
I think the problem will go away tomorrow Curtis.

My Internet fu is weak but this is the way I understand it.

After Blue Host started throttling my account, I switched hosts. Migrated the site over and repointed the servers on Friday.

Some people can see pictures but no site, some can see the site but no pictures and some can see everything.
I have an open ticket at the new host but as I understand it, it takes up to 72 hours to completely propagate.

I hope that's the problem because I'm tired of twiddling with it.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Curtis wrote:

Talk about an inappropriate comment. Post your question in a new thread.

Sorry for your loss Peter Nap.