• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plover Walmart greeter doesn't like me.

Optimus Prime

imported post

So I walked into the Plover Walmart a couple hours ago to grab some Christmas gifts and other stuff, but as soon as I passed the greeter with my cart, he quickly asks me to stop and quietly told me I could not carry a gun like that in the store. (On a side note, he was quiet about it and made sure I saw him before he approached me, which is nice.)
I calmly responded that it is perfectly legal in the state of Wisconsin to openly carry.
"Well... it's against the store policy..."
"No it's not."
"Well if you could check with the service desk..."
"OK"
I leave my cart where he stopped me, walk over to the service desk area and wait in the long line for a couple minutes. As I stand there, I notice the greeter talking with a manager looking guy out of the corner of my eye. The manager type sends him back towards the door and heads towards me, so I step out of line and say I guess he was telling you about me.
He says "Yup, I'm pretty sure there's no policy against it, but we've had some parents complain in the past and I know it's come up before, just let me ask the store manager."
Mumbles into his little secret service radio deally, apparently got an answer, and tells me; "Yeah, as long as there's no complaints it's fine. Sorry about that."
I go back to get my cart, which the greeter has moved off to the side of the entry way next to him. He's looking less than happy, and I tell him "As long as none of the other customers complain about it, I'm good to go."
"Well, I'm a former law enforcement officer, and I don't see any reason to be doing that."
Aha, explains his approach when I first walked in.
"Well, until we have a governor who will sign off on concealed carry, this is what I have to do. Have a nice night."
After I finish my shopping, I note he is no longer at the door, and another greeter give me a nice smile and a happy holidays as I walk out.

I've carried there probably more than anywhere else, and never had an issue before, and I know for a fact I have walked past that same greeter while carrying. I did yesterday. Shortish chubby guy with a buzz cut. I always assumed he was prior service with the haircut, but I guess LEO makes sense as well.

What made today different? I grabbed a cart, and my hands were up on the cart's push bar instead of naturally hanging by my sides, leaving my pistol(Kimber Custom II carried in a tan Serpa) more exposed than usual. Wonder if I'll have any more issues with this guy in the future.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glad you stood your ground, because I talked with the ACTUAL manager Fipps at length, and he didn't even say that. He said, that he (Fipps) would "shop with me" so customers wouldn't have any reason to be nervous. Fipps told me that he had "trained" all the employees.

If it were me, I would call the store, ask for the manager, Fipps, and NICELY let him know that he has more training to do.

It also looks like there is a road trip coming for me in the near future.

SD26

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Ex-LEO as 'greeter', anything to be learned from that? Maybe he's 'shrugged', Atlas like.
LOL!

If he was, he would only be doing the minimum. Following the rules exactly, nothing more.

Floor Walker

imported post

I'd also recommend sending a letter to corporate. Management is required to respond to all "letters to the president" (which is what all mail sent to corporate is termed). By addressing it, that typically means an upper level manager (store manager or one of the co-managers) will call you and speak to you personally (in theory that's what they are supposed to do). Hopefully the people greeter will be coached and will not do something that improper again.

http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Floor Walker

imported post

Optimus Prime wrote:
May have to give him a call tomorrow. I doubt he was there tonight, being the weekend and all.
Be surprised by the schedule that they work.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Abraxxas:

Welcome to the forum. Always glad to see another OC supporter.

I definately suggest you read this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

I would also suggest signing our online petition found here: http://www.petitiononline.com/wi1848oc/petition.html

Lastly I will suggest checking out http://www.wisconsincarry.org/and becoming a member to help support the lawsuit to overturn Wisconsin's GFSZA.

Read up, Load up, Holster up, and then

C A R R Y O N ! ! !