• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please wirte to our representatives about everything that concerns you!

DBSweetwood

imported post

I am sure most of you do, but please write to our senators and congressman on anything and everything that you have concerns about. If they don't hear from us they won't know what we want.

I recently wrote to have them write legislation allowing us to carry on military instalations (i am in the Army). After Fort Hood, and Fort Lewis(PX Shooting, you can look it up, and I had just left there). Here are a couple of the replies.

Please just write and call and write and call. They will get the picture. And not just our representatives, but the house and senate majority and minority leaders.

December 11, 2009
Mr. David Sweetwood

11340 S. Hwy 55
Cascade, Idaho
83611-5107

Dear David:

Thank you for contacting me regarding firearms on military bases. I appreciate the opportunity to respond. As a member of the Armed Forces, your opinion on this matter is very important to me. I was also interested in your comparison of this issue with that of allowing concealed carry permits in national parks. As you may be aware, in February 2010, visitors with concealed carry permits who travel to national parks and national wildlife refuges will be allowed to carry loaded guns. I supported the amendment, added by Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK), and was pleased that it passed with broad bipartisan support in both the Senate and the House of Representatives. It is important to note that this law specifies that guns are allowed into federal parks only where it is permitted by state law. The Second Amendment to the Constitution reads: "A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." I firmly believe this provision prohibits the federal government from denying citizens this right. I will not support any legislation that requires a waiting period for the purchase of a firearm, bans the ownership of firearms, or promotes or requires the rationing or taxation of firearms or ammunition. Contrary to the claims of gun control advocates, gun ownership is not the source of our gun-related crime problem. Illegal firearms trafficking and our "revolving door" justice system are significant contributing factors. I will continue to support legislation to reform our justice system to impose stiff sentences on criminals who use a gun while committing a crime. Individuals must understand that criminal behavior will not be tolerated, and will be met with grave penalties. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important matter. While there is currently no legislation on this topic before the House of Representatives, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind and will continue to monitor this important issue. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your service to this country. Once again, thank you for taking time to contact me with your concerns. The thoughts and opinions of Idahoans are important to me as your Representative in the United States Congress. I also encourage you to visit my website at www.house.gov/simpson to sign up for my weekly e-newsletter and to read more about my views on a variety of issues.

Sincerely, S Mike Simpson Member of Congress
December 14, 2009

Mr. David Sweetwood

28 Charters Circle
Donnelly, Idaho

Dear David:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent attack at Fort Hood. I share your concern and welcome the opportunity to respond. I, too, was shocked and distressed to learn of the violence at Fort Hood. As a father of five, my heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones or whose loved ones were injured in the attack. The frustration and concern you expressed is shared by many individuals. The associations and actions by Army Major Nidal Malik Hasan prior to this violent attack are alarming. His behavior and rhetoric with fellow staff members at Walter Reed Army Medical Center was certainly questionable and should have been addressed. The inaction of his supervisors needs explanation. Additionally, I am particularly astonished to learn of his communications with a radical Muslim cleric who has ties to al-Qaeda; communications that were intercepted by the U.S. intelligence-gathering agencies. The circumstances and evidence available thus far surrounding the shooting at Fort Hood suggests a clear breakdown of interagency intelligence sharing and response. As you know, President Obama has called on Congress to delay any Congressional investigations until the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Army investigators conclude its criminal investigation. However, I support a full and thorough Congressional investigation into this horrific event as soon as possible. As directed in the Constitution, Congress has the authority and responsibility of oversight and investigation. If the events at Fort Hood were a result, in any way, of institutional limitations or deficiencies of information sharing and preemptive action, Congress must not delay in establishing the necessary corrections that could prevent future attacks. The Senate Homeland Security Committee recently held a hearing as part of a committee investigation of the November 5 attack at Fort Hood, Texas, focusing on what Major Hasan's possible motives, whether the government missed warning signs that should have led to expulsion, and what lessons we can learn to prevent future attacks. While I am not a member of the committee, I look forward to reviewing the panel's findings. In addition, the Senate Armed Services Committee, the Senate Intelligence Committee, and the Senate Judiciary Committee plan to hold similar hearings on this issue. These committees are making necessary preparations for public hearings, but remain in the beginning stages of their investigations. In the post-9/11 climate, we as a nation must remain vigilant and resolute in our determination to work together to make our nation safe. Securing our nation against traditional foes and the threat of terrorism is an ongoing conflict that has introduced new challenges for the United States government. As we move forward, our nation must remain capable of adjusting to meet these evolving threats. Please rest assured that I will continue to work with my colleagues in Congress in supporting legislation that protects the safety of all Idahoans and Americans from those who wish us harm. Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or other matters of interest to you. For more information about the issues before the U.S. Senate as well as news releases, photos, and other items of interest, please visit my Senate website, http://crapo.senate.gov.

Sincerely, Mike Crapo United States Senator