• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter carry suggestions

The Wolfhound

imported post

When the recent storm came through, I realized that my usual IWB was not a practical choice. How do you carry in cold weather? I was wearing so many layers,I had trouble just drawing my cell phone. A pistol would not have even been possible. Gloves made life challenging too.

tcmech

imported post

Athirty eight snubby in the right hand coat pocket works for me. If you are left handed it can fit in the left hand coat pocket.

Dreamer

imported post

Blackhawk makes a line of "Duty Holsters" that come with the "Jacket Slot Duty Belt Loop" (#44H90BK). This is a belt adapter that will drop your Serpa holster by about 3.5" off your belt, which should give you plenty of clearance with a short coat, but it doesn't have the "tacti-cool" look of a drop-leg holster. The "Duty Holster" line doesn't allow for the quick draw that the CQC line does, because the Level 2 retention Duty holsters have a high front, and the Level 3 holsters have a cap that snaps over the rear of the slide, but they DO provide a high level of retention, and the dropped configuration to clear the bottom of a jacket:

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/SERPA-Duty,1412.htm

You can also get the drop loop as a "spare part" directly from Blackhawk for under $18. If you already have a Serpa, this accessory is compatible with ALL Serpa holsters. I'm planning to order one this week, for exactly this purpose...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Jacket-Slot-Duty-Belt-Loop,839,1382.htm

However, you can get ANY Blackhawk gear from OpticsPlanet.com, often at substantial discounts. I've ordered Blackhawk and Galco gear from them, and have been VERY satisfied with their prompt service...

http://www.opticsplanet.com/

spyderdude

imported post

I have a Serpa level II duty holster and it works quite nicely for winter OC. I find it much easier to use a duty belt and belt keepers rather than putting the holster on my regular belt. The holster is designed to stay on a duty belt and not come off easily.

OpenCarry.jpg

IMGP0244.jpg

Dreamer

imported post

Spyderdude,

How do you like the Serpa with the drop-loop? I just ordered a couple of those drop-loop adapters so I can wear my CQC and still have it OC with a winter coat on...

Do you leave the screws in the top, and just take the whole belt/holster off , or do you leave the screws out so you can easily remove the holster without taking off the belt (like a paddle)?

Does it rock when you draw? The drop loop is made for a 2-2.5" duty belt, and I wondered how stable it is. I use the included paddle now, and it is ROCK-SOLID on a heavy leather 1.25" belt threaded through my jeans or Dockers.

Anyway, my drop loop should be here sometime early next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works...

spyderdude

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Spyderdude,

How do you like the Serpa with the drop-loop? I just ordered a couple of those drop-loop adapters so I can wear my CQC and still have it OC with a winter coat on...

Do you leave the screws in the top, and just take the whole belt/holster off , or do you leave the screws out so you can easily remove the holster without taking off the belt (like a paddle)?

Does it rock when you draw? The drop loop is made for a 2-2.5" duty belt, and I wondered how stable it is. I use the included paddle now, and it is ROCK-SOLID on a heavy leather 1.25" belt threaded through my jeans or Dockers.

Anyway, my drop loop should be here sometime early next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works...
I like it just fine and is comfortable to wear. The holster stays on the duty belt and the entire rig is attached to my regular belt through the use of belt keepers. The holster is not easily removed without unscrewing the belt attachment from the belt... it is designed to stay on a duty belt. It does rock a little bit but not much if I don't get press down on the Serpa lock hard enough. I got a 2" duty belt so I figure a 2.25" duty belt might be a little more solid. The screws that came with the duty holster are different from the ones found on the regular Serpa holsters... they're thicker and slightly longer. The screws that came with your Serpa holster will NOT work with the duty belt attachment... you will have to get a complete Serpa duty holster. Or Blackhawk might sell you the correct screws... I'm not for certain though.

Dreamer

imported post

OK, I did some research, and you are correct. The CQC holsters use 8-32 screws, and the TAC and Duty holsters use 10-32 screws. I don't know what length the belt slot requires, but they must be a little longer than the ones that come on my CQC's...

I don't think the Duty loop comes with screws, but I'll call Blackhawk tomorrow and see. If it comes with the 10-32 screws that are standard on the Duty Holsters, I'll see if they will send me some 8-32's. The "Spacer Kit" that they sell to offset holsters from their mounts can be had with either kinds of screws, so they can be used with either platform. But judging from the Blackhawk website, the Duty Loop doesn't come with screws--they must assume that if you already own a Duty Holster, you've already got the screws...

If they won't send me a set, I can probably locate the proper screws locally. 8-32's that have big heads like the Blackhawks use can't be that difficult to find, and I have a tube of Red Loc-Tite that I can put on the screws to make sure they stay tight...

I'll keep y'all updated...

Dreamer

imported post

My "drop loops" arrived today from "OpticsPlanet.

They DO fit my Serpa CQC's, but the screws that shipped with the drop loop are the bigger ones, for the Duty Holster line, and do not fit in the nuts of the CQC. The screws that came with my CQC fit, but the added thickness of the drop loop only allows the shorter CQC screws to go into the nuts on the Serpa CQC about 3 or 4 turns.

It's secure, but I'd like to have a more secure connection, so I'm going to call Blackhawk tomorrow and have them send me a set of the longer CQC-sized screws, which they make for the "spacer kit", and said they would send me for free if the screws in the drop loop didn't work. We shall see, but I have full confidence in their word.

My only complaint so far with the drop loop is that the belt loops are VERY tight and scuffed up my belt a little trying to thread it through. But I guess "too tight" is never a bad thing, because the tight fit keeps it from rocking, despite the lower center of gravity of the dropped holster. It's a pretty good design, and sets the top of the holster right at the bottom of my winter coat, making it perfect for winter OC...

After I get the longer screws from Blackhawk, I'll install the CQC onteh drop loop, and try it for a few weeks, and give a full report. Stay tuned... ;)

Dreamer

imported post

I called Blackhawk today, and they graciously offered to send me a set of longer screws for the mount on my CQC so I could use it with the drop-loop.

They should be here in a few days.

I HIGHLY recommend Blackhawk. Their products are top-notch, and their customer support is unparalleled--polite, friendly, knowledgeable, and VERY willing to help.

I'll keep you updated.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My CQC came with a second mount that rides lower and clips over the belt instead of having the belt thread through. You should be about to find a similar mount. But frankly in the recent storm I used the outside chest pocket on a Cabela's down coat to carry a P10.45 and it worked great, While it would be slower than a conventional holster, it did not interfere with operation of the tractor or get in the way while shoveling. Also it did not require opening anything except the chest pocket to get at the gun.

I like this so much that I have now bought a 5.11 Tactical Fleece jacket that has chest pockets on both side that have velcro closures and it works good for anything up to a P12.45.

Dreamer

imported post

Hawk,

Yeah, that sounds like a good solution for a P10, but I've got a full-size S-14.45 with the adjustable sights, and it' sort of snag-prone when it's inside clothing...

My CQCs both came with both mounts--belt slide and paddle. I've tried both, and nether get the holster low enough for my winter coats. I think the drop loop is going to do the trick. It's very stable on my belt, drops the whole assembly by about 3", and rides nicely.

I haven't tried it in the car yet though, and I think it might take some adjusting getting in and out of the vehicle, because of the droped location. I've got a Chevy HHR with roomy bucket seats though, so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I'll wear it around tomorrow when I'm out running errands, and see how it works with a seatbelt...

Until I get the longer screws though, I'll just keep wearing it with the paddle. Maybe I'll bring the second Serpa (the one that doesn't fit the Para wide-body so well) to the Jacksonville dinner this weekend, mounted on the drop loop, so folks can see what it looks like...

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Hawk,

Yeah, that sounds like a good solution for a P10, but I've got a full-size S-14.45 with the adjustable sights, and it' sort of snag-prone when it's inside clothing...

SNIP...

Dreamer -

You need to have more choices and I do not mean Holsters -

attachment.php