• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can this person get a CPL?

killchain

imported post

I got a buddy who got a misdemeanor brandishing weapons charge a few years ago. Long story short he scared off some punks with an airsoft gun and the five-oh smacked him with the charge.

Will he be able to get his CPL if he applies for it?

joeroket

imported post

killchain wrote:
I got a buddy who got a misdemeanor brandishing weapons charge a few years ago. Long story short he scared off some punks with an airsoft gun and the five-oh smacked him with the charge.

He should be able to. That charge should not preclude him from owning a firearm or receiving a CPL.

Aryk45XD

imported post

killchain wrote:
Long story short he scared off some punks with an airsoft gun and the five-oh smacked him with the charge.
Just a question sort of related to this: If you're in a condition of extreme necessity and pull your weapon, but hesitate, is there more of a chance you may be charged rather than just pulling the trigger. (eg. Pull it while in the back of a store while a BG in the front starts stabbing the clerk on the ground and runs when you yell as you make your through the isle.) Figured the senerio would help keep the answer simple.

Add: ...Or does it even matter since you stopped the attack.
With great power comes great ummm... big holes!?

Lammo

imported post

killchain wrote:

Was he convicted or just cited? If he was convicted I think the answer is probably. If he was only cited and it was later dismissed as justifiable as self defense thent ther should be no problem. Now, on to the details. Washington does not have an offense called "brandishing". What we do have is this:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
[align=left]RCW 9.41.270[/align] [align=left]Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.[/align] [align=left](1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.[/align][align=left](2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.[/align][align=left]- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Note that a conviction for what we call Intimidation With A Weapon will result in revocation of an existing CPL. Further, RCW 9.41.070(1)(b) provides for denial of a CPL application is the applicant's CPL is in revoked status. If you don't already have a CPL and are convicted of Intimidation there is no CPL to revoke. So, it looks like an intimidation conviction would not be a bar to issuance of a new, first time CPL.[/align][align=left]
Now, if your buddy's conviction was in another state and wasn't a felony then there should be no problem. RCW 9.41.270 only requires revocation for a violation of RCW 9.41.270, not for violation of any other statute.[/align][align=left]PS - - IAAL but nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice or to establish an attorney/client relationship.
[/align]

sudden valley gunner

imported post

This is why you call the cops first. Even if you think the situation is done. I "displayed" my shotgun when Sudden Valley security was getting out of hand and wouldn't leave my property, but I also called 911 and told them I under the impression they had weapons too.

Not even a warning, and was told by deputy and trooper I was within my rights. Things would have been different if the call security made, (lying bastards) went through first.

killchain

imported post

Lammo wrote
Was he convicted or just cited? If he was convicted I think the answer is probably. If he was only cited and it was later dismissed as justifiable as self defense thent ther should be no problem. Now, on to the details. Washington does not have an offense called "brandishing". What we do have is this:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
[align=left]RCW 9.41.270[/align] [align=left]Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.[/align] [align=left](1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.[/align][align=left](2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.[/align][align=left]- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Note that a conviction for what we call Intimidation With A Weapon will result in revocation of an existing CPL. Further, RCW 9.41.070(1)(b) provides for denial of a CPL application is the applicant's CPL is in revoked status. If you don't already have a CPL and are convicted of Intimidation there is no CPL to revoke. So, it looks like an intimidation conviction would not be a bar to issuance of a new, first time CPL.[/align][align=left]
Now, if your buddy's conviction was in another state and wasn't a felony then there should be no problem. RCW 9.41.270 only requires revocation for a violation of RCW 9.41.270, not for violation of any other statute.[/align][align=left]PS - - IAAL but nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice or to establish an attorney/client relationship.
[/align]
He was driving in a car, busted out the airsoft on another person in another car, and in his opinion for his own defense. Yes, he was convicted. Under what you cited, he had no CPL so I guess he's good.

Sorry I'm being so vague guys. He's a lurker here, and it ain't my business to be dropping all of the giblets on what happened. I just want to know if I should still pester him to get his damn CPL. Hahaha.