• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How would one transport a pistol in a pickup truck without a CPL?

EM87

imported post

How would one transport a pistol in a pickup truck without a CPL?

I have someone asking me this question and I don't know the answer. The MSP website says:

"A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle."

How do you make a pistol inaccessible? Locked box? You still have the key, which makes it accessible. Locked glove box? Key opens that too. I am at a loss.

Yooper

imported post

In a gun case, behind the seat. Since on most trucks (the one's I've owned anyway) whether behind the drivers seat (standard cab) or back seat (extended cab) the seat needs to be folded down to access that area.

ghostrider

imported post

The only reason this will be of concern is if one is stopped by an officer.

Yooper stated it correctly, but I would add this:

If your stopped by an officer, it shouldn't become an issue. You shouldn't be telling the officer that it's there, and you shouldn't be doing anything to give the officer probable cause to do a non-consensual search. You most certainly shouldn't consent to a search.

Here's what I recommend (although it's not necessarily required by law). Put the unloaded gun in a case that has holes to put a small pad lock through (I got some small luggage locks for mine). Before putting the case where Yooper recommends, lock the case whit those luggage locks. You now have the gun not only inaccessible, but also locked up. This puts in place one more threshold for an officer to justify crossing during any search.

The whole idea of asking this question is to not only follow the law, but more importantly, "stay out of trouble". The only way an officer is going to know about that gun (in such a situation) is if the person tells the officer about it (not recommended), or the officer conducts a search. If the officer has PC for the search, then your probably in trouble. Consenting to a voluntary search is highly discouraged. If the officer is searching without PC or consent, then the lock on the case is just one more barrier he has to violate (read justify). It's about protecting your privacy.

Fishous

imported post

Yooper wrote:
In a gun case, behind the seat. Since on most trucks (the one's I've owned anyway) whether behind the drivers seat (standard cab) or back seat (extended cab) the seat needs to be folded down to access that area.
My extended cab back seat does not have storage behind it, and does not fold down. There is no room under it for a gun case.

I think the law is unclear on the transportation of firearms with a pickup. Is the bed considered a trunk?

The best option would probably be to lock them in a case, then place the keys for the case in the bed somewhere.

lil_freak_66

imported post

in my glovebox at least,i lock it with the ignition key,so while im driving i cannot open the glove box.

may not me a good idea for the glovebox if you keep the registration and insurance in there though,as you would have to reach very close to that handgun.

under the front seat lock box?

autosurgeon

imported post

I don't think the Glovebox is a legal place to store a pistol in a PU... I could be wrong.

I would think for a pistol if you have it unloaded in a Center Of mass safe cable locked to the seat in such a way that it cannot be accessed by teh driver while driving that you should be ok...

Also as was mentioned this requires another level before a cop can open it and see what is in it.

SlowDog

imported post

When ever I am transporting any fire arms I always keep a padlock on them and I too have a pickup. I have had the pleasure of being checked before and because I had a couple of long guns it was obvious what i had. He<LEO> said he was surprised that I had each case <long gun & pistol> locked like this. Ammo was in locked Ammo can also. It means one has to make an extreme effort to gain access to both ammo and guns. Which he said was OK and considered inaccessible .

jmlefler

imported post

You need to be prepared to answer a question from the LEO, and that is 'do you have any weapons in the vehicle?'. He/She can and will ask, but you don't have to answer.

Maybe "there's nothing illegal in this vehicle, officer"... suggestions?

Carry on

ghostrider

imported post

jmlefler wrote:
You need to be prepared to answer a question from the LEO, and that is 'do you have any weapons in the vehicle?'. He/She can and will ask, but you don't have to answer.

Carry on
How do you know they won't find something illegal in the vehicle. I have thought about that question. I always figured I'd just respond by asking why they pulled me over. Or, maybe respond by saying, "Is that why you pulled me over, to ask if I had any weapons."

By wording it the way you recommend, you are claiming something as fact. This gives the officer the opportunity to prove you a liar, and I don't want to go anywhere near that realm if I can help it.

This is just like WWR. People need to be prepared how they will respond. "I'm not interested in discussing the contents of my vehicle. " could be another good one. However, I believe that the only way to not get a negative response from the officer is to answer the question like he wants.

1245A Defender

imported post

jmlefler wrote:

Carry on

ive seen the other side of how you should or shouldnt answer this question in the post above, even if you have guns "or drugs or other illegal things in your car".

the cop question is still just fishing, you have no obligation to answer him, you can just ignore his quiry and redirect him to the point of the stop.

from above

How do you know they won't find something illegal in the vehicle. I have thought about that question. I always figured I'd just respond by asking why they pulled me over. Or, maybe respond by saying, "Is that why you pulled me over, to ask if I had any weapons."

By wording it the way you recommend, you are claiming something as fact. This gives the officer the opportunity to prove you a liar, and I don't want to go anywhere near that realm if I can help it.

theyre going to need to do an illegal search to find anything, whether legal or illegal.

this is a really good answer....Is that why you pulled me over, to ask if I had any weapons."

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Before my CPL came along I kept the pistol and mags--all unloaded--in the pistol case and all ammo in my range bag. I would place the case under the passenger side of my trucks bench seat with my range bag directly in front of the case. You can place a lock on the case if you wish but it's not required by law to do so. Also, the lawful transport law (750.231a) does not require that the mags are unloaded and placed/transported separately from the pistol.

SlowDog

imported post

I agree...there had been plenty of times I will be riding around with two loaded mags on my belt. It is legal. They are there so often I forget I am carrying them.

But when carrying bulk ammo is the time for locked ammo can....just to keep the lookyloo's out.