• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo help

Sionadi

imported post

For my .45 i have been using Speer gold dot Hollow points.

For my 9mm i have been using my dad's reloads, but i only have 100 or so rounds left and i would like to know who makes good self defense rounds in 9mm that is relatively cheap.

Same thing for .45 ACP.

rmansu2

imported post

A good self-defense round can mean alot of things. I assume your talking about hollow points at a good price.

I carry Winchester Hollow points (15+1) in my Ruger P95. When I carry my spare mags,one withWinchester Hollow points and one withregular Winchester White Box(WWB). 41 rounds total.

A good hit with a cheap round will do more damage than a whole magazine of the most expensive ammo, if you can't hit what your shooting at. (Just a thought)

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
A good self-defense round can mean alot of things. I assume your talking about hollow points at a good price.

I carry Winchester Hollow points (15+1) in my Ruger P95. When I carry my spare mags,one withWinchester Hollow points and one withregular Winchester White Box(WWB). 41 rounds total.

A good hit with a cheap round will do more damage than a whole magazine of the most expensive ammo, if you can't hit what your shooting at. (Just a thought)
I was getting ready to say Winchester JHP works just fine. If you can find them in stock for 9mm or .45 ACP, they're usually VERY cheap at Walmart. I buy all of my target/protection ammo from Walmart (.40 S&W) in Winchester or Remmington. Prices will vary but I've payed as low as $25 for Winchester JHP in .40S&W.

rmansu2

imported post

I want to say I paid around $15 for a box of 50 last time I found them. It's time to rotate stock though, and as soon as find some I'll be off to the range to do just that.

rodbender

imported post

I use Federal HST's everywhere for SD rounds. 9MM, 45ACP, 40 S&W. I use Winchester FMJ for practice. 9MM-115 Gr., 45 ACP-230 Gr., 40 S&W-165 Gr.