• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotting concealed carry.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Yeah, I wonder how often old Lubavichers, like the guy in the last cartoon, are rousted for guns.

But, back on topic, in CCW only SC, fannypacks on guys are a dead give away. I don't remember the frequencies cited but vastly most guys, especially blacks, wearing a belly-bulger are carrying.

I CCW'd Mexican Chihuahua style and against my hide and did not have to re-position or feel my gun...because it was jammed against my hide. Mexican is fine.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I don't look for weapons, I look for bad guys. There ar plenty of robbers who are nothing but strong-arm goons and lots of them carry easily-concealable knives; and arguably it would be better to be shot than knifed. Gunshot wounds cause ragged edges on severed blood vessels which promote and aid in natural stanching of hemmorhage, while a knife leaves a clean cut that just bleeds like all hell. A 3-inch blade can sever the aorta neatly, and it is then just sseconds to curtain time.

Therefore I have adopted a "system" of gauging the intent of those I meet and especially on the job. Spottting bad intent is light years more important than spotting armed status.
10-4!!!

okboomer

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Can't you reverse this too? I've ID'd a few CCers before, but their behavioral clues served to allay any concerns about them.

Absolutely! That is why I was wondering why he asked the question in the first place.

I don't really see the needfor anyone to try to identify good guys who carry. The bad guys who carry are already twanging your radar because you are picking up on their bad intentions which they are telegraphing. Undue sweating and (if close enough)wide-eyed frantic look from them amping up to commit the crime. Then there are those who are dead-eyed and show no undue emotional investment in the crime they are about to commit.

This is where OC can be a two-edgedsword ... OC can deter a crime against you personally, but it can also make you the first target in a crime against someone else. This is where multiple OCerscould be a deterrant ... BG might get one of the OCers, but the other OC/CCW could get him between shooting the first OCer and the true target (clerk at quick stop, ex-GF out with different guy, etc.)

Six of one, half a dozen of another. I CC in my state, but OC inside my business. Rural Oklahoma, it is not an issue with anyone ... gun culture out here ;-)

Would like to see more businesses in OKC that support OC inside their offices and such. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I go in H&H and will OC in there, too ;-)

edited to add joe's quote for clarification ...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

okboomer wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
Can't you reverse this too? I've ID'd a few CCers before, but their behavioral clues served to allay any concerns about them.
Absolutely! That is why I was wondering why he asked the question in the first place.

I don't really see the needfor anyone to try to identify good guys who carry. The bad guys who carry are already twanging your radar because you are picking up on their bad intentions which they are telegraphing. Undue sweating and (if close enough)wide-eyed frantic look from them amping up to commit the crime. Then there are those who are dead-eyed and show no undue emotional investment in the crime they are about to commit.

This is where OC can be a two-edgedsword ... OC can deter a crime against you personally, but it can also make you the first target in a crime against someone else. This is where multiple OCerscould be a deterrant ... BG might get one of the OCers, but the other OC/CCW could get him between shooting the first OCer and the true target (clerk at quick stop, ex-GF out with different guy, etc.)

Six of one, half a dozen of another. I CC in my state, but OC inside my business. Rural Oklahoma, it is not an issue with anyone ... gun culture out here ;-)

Would like to see more businesses in OKC that support OC inside their offices and such. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I go in H&H and will OC in there, too ;-)

edited to add joe's quote for clarification ...
I concur 100% that reading people's body language for bg/gg signs is considerably more important than determining first, who is armed and who is not in most circumstances.

But please stop with the OC urban myth stuff. :(

Repeated again for those not familiar with the OCer's axiom: OC is educational, convenient, fast and safe.

Show me one (1) documented, verifiable cite where an OCer (non-LEO or military) has ever been preemptively attacked/killed anywhere in these United States in modern times. Will it happen someday? Probably will eventually, but even that unfortunate event will help to support this axiom as the resultant percentage ratio will look something like .00001%

This challenge has stood unanswered for many years. One reported incident was proved to be false. Nothing else - nada.

For illustrative purposes, I include the following link to a real event wherein the bg never saw the good OC citizen in front of him - likely tunnel vision.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=28633&forum_id=54&highlight=Golden+Market

How you may chose to carry is your personal choice, but please do not repeat the feelings and conjectures of those that would limit our options.

Still friends? :)

Yata hey